Tips Up - Service Down!

yogimax

I want to give my input on the service we experienced on our recent NCL SKY cruise.

I thought the service staff was very attentive. Our room stewart was Oswald and we saw him all the time as well as many others up and down the hallways.

Someone was always cleaning or vacuuming and in the dining rooms the servers were always around refilling our water glasses or bringing more bread. We had quick service too. When the people at the table were through eating about two or three of the service staff would come over and take all the stuff off the table and replace the table cloth with a clean one and reset the table. This happened every single time.

The ship was clean even on the pool deck. We saw the crew walking around the deck with the broom and dust pan sweeping up any papers or food they could find.

Last year on RCCL the service was not as good. I was not impressed with them at all.

A dollar and ten cents times seven days totals seven dollars and seventy cents. I believe a Disney cruise costs much more than a hundred dollars. Disney charges for spa services, shore excursions, and booze as well.

Thanks for the help on the math. The Disney cruise is better in every way, worth the money if you can afford it. I was just comparing service costs/suggested tipping amounts.

NCL went up to $12 p/p p/day and RCI also has gone up from the usual $9.75 p/p p/day. We always extra tip cabin steward and waiters. also don't forget the .75 p/p p/day for the 'maitre' d...ends up being more than the $12 of NCL...they are all worth it. they work very hard....I think if more people said a kind word to them more often, it would better the relations between workers and vacationeers...Thanks for letting me add me 2cents in...

I was going to put in my 2 cents but I just noticed it went up to 3 cents. I have sailed on NCL, RCCL, Princess, Carnival and Celebrity on dozens of cruises and the service I had on the Gem this past January was at least as good as any of the others and the price was excellent. The crew was very friendly and hard working. I had one little hitch and it was handled asap. The service was a lot better than I get here at home. I have to do my own dishes.

My recent cruise on NCL was very inexpensive. The service exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. That's not to say some other line is, or is not better. But the more I spend, the more I expect. I darn well better get a higher level of service if my fare is double or triple what NCL charged me.

Despite my post, I am basically not a "complainer." It would have to be something major for me to complain to the pursers or hotel director. Besides, what good would it do in regard to slow service from an understaffed wait service?

In regard to the cabin stewards, I would not want the individuals to get into trouble if they were simply following company policy.

If I have slow service I go to the head waiter some times a server is left on their own, also if you are not happy with your cabin people you tell them what you want. With respect, this attitude " what good would it do " is a good excuse for one to do nothing only complain.

If I have slow service I go to the head waiter some times a server is left on their own, also if you are not happy with your cabin people you tell them what you want. With respect, this attitude " what good would it do " is a good excuse for one to do nothing only complain.

Spot-on DU! Too many do not follow that advice!

DT

We totally agree. If you are not happy, speak up.... Sometimes the servers and room stewards have a bad day and we usually keep quiet on the first occurrence....if something happens more than once we speak up.... We do it nicely and usually get a positive response. Problems on the ship can not get corrected if they don't know about them. Like others have mentioned...complaining here won't help things get better unless you also said something on the ship. :)

As a first-time cruiser, having just sailed on NCL Dawn, I would like to comment on the tipping charges.

I feel they are very fair, considering the amount of work these people do every day.

We ate mostly in the up-charge restaurants, but we did dine one evening in the Venetian. There was virtually no difference in the quality of service we received. We were treated to impeccable service by the wait staff each and every meal. They weren't slow to serve us, and our courses arrived in perfect time. We were constantly asked if everything was ok, our water glasses were always full, and when we asked for more bread or butter, it arrived in seconds.

The staff was always polite, friendly and eager to please.

We had no problem leaving additional tips for such great service!

Our room steward was Joshua and his assistant was Ruby. They were also wonderful. Joshua never failed to smile and greet us by our names each and every time he saw us. Our cabin was cleaned twice a day. They always seemed to know when we left our room, we would return to a spotless cabin, fresh towels, and ice. Almost every evening, we would find a cute towel animal on the bed. Special requests were prompt and we always had everything we needed. If we used the coffee maker in the room, it would be cleaned and re-stocked.

Yes, we tipped them extra several times thru out the week, and we were glad to do so. They were an amazing team. We felt pampered and catered to the entire week.

The cleaning crews always seemed to be working, we found the public restrooms to be spotless, and the entire ship was immaculate. Every time one of the crew or staff passed us, they would smile and say hello.

It was a pleasure all around, and as I said before, I feel these people work very hard, they are friendly and eager to please. They deserve the tips, IMO.

Just for the record, we had a balcony cabin on deck 10.

Jacy

Just for comparison on tipping:

RCCL - $9.75

Carnival - $10.00

NCL - $12.00

We have sailed all three lines and our feeling is that service is best on RCCL and worst on NCL, but that is just our opinion. My point is that the extra NCL charges does not result in better service.

You may be surprised to learn that cruise ship tipping is not increasing - but decreasing.

Back in the 1970's on Royal Viking, we received over $20 per passenger per day. In the 1970's, $20 was a bit of change.

When the middle and lower classes started cruising, they couldn't - or wouldn't - afford to tip as much. The really good service staff could no longer afford to work on ships. They left to find better paying jobs elsewhere.

That's when the service levels on ships took a nose dive. It will not recover as long as the cruising public is trying to get something for nothing.

Today, $12 per day is peanuts. You know the saying about what you get for peanuts. If you want to have good service, you need to pay for it.

You may be surprised to learn that cruise ship tipping is not increasing - but decreasing.

Back in the 1970's on Royal Viking, we received over $20 per passenger per day. In the 1970's, $20 was a bit of change.

When the middle and lower classes started cruising, they couldn't - or wouldn't - afford to tip as much. The really good service staff could no longer afford to work on ships. They left to find better paying jobs elsewhere.

That's when the service levels on ships took a nose dive. It will not recover as long as the cruising public is trying to get something for nothing.

Today, $12 per day is peanuts. You know the saying about what you get for peanuts. If you want to have good service, you need to pay for it.

and the cost in cruising in comparable dollars was two or three times as much!

Its terrible letting the masses in. Its just like they are doing with airplanes it used to cost more and you got more service now its like a bus....and not even as good as Greyhound....

and when we asked for more bread or butter, it arrived in seconds.

Jacy

But you see Jacy, here's the problem. Some people will complain that the service is bad, or inattentive if they have to ASK to have the bread or butter refilled. They feel that it should be done without them having to ask. No kidding.

If I had the service that you described, I too would think it's excellent. However, some would not. :rolleyes:

CG

I want to give my input on the service we experienced on our recent NCL SKY cruise.

I thought the service staff was very attentive. Our room stewart was Oswald and we saw him all the time as well as many others up and down the hallways.

Someone was always cleaning or vacuuming and in the dining rooms the servers were always around refilling our water glasses or bringing more bread. We had quick service too. When the people at the table were through eating about two or three of the service staff would come over and take all the stuff off the table and replace the table cloth with a clean one and reset the table. This happened every single time.

The ship was clean even on the pool deck. We saw the crew walking around the deck with the broom and dust pan sweeping up any papers or food they could find.

This has always been our experience, too. I really don't understand all the complaining that goes on here. And I'd really like someone to put into substantive words--with specifics, not generalities--just what it is that makes, say, Disney's service so much better. Someone dressed up as Goofy? Please.

[quote name='scchasgal']I think the one that posted the prices did not include the suite since not everyone has that luxury.[/quote]
And is it one or the other? In other words, do you have both a suite attendent AND a room steward?

When we sailed last year on RCI, I believe the tip for children was half of the adult amount...but maybe I am wrong on this.
Also, I thought the "service charge" on NCL was for ages 2 and up. :confused:

[quote name='suzyed'] When we sailed last year on RCI, I believe the tip for children was half of the adult amount...but maybe I am wrong on this.
Also, I thought the "service charge" on NCL was for ages 2 and up. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes you are wrong. Only NCL had a reduced service charge for children, only NCL. Why are you surprised NCL changed their policies to treat children the same as all the other cruise lines?

Thanks to the stiffers, the daily service charge exists. The cruise lines had to do something to keep their employees from signing contracts with other cruise lines.

[quote name='sottovoce']This has always been our experience, too. I really don't understand all the complaining that goes on here. And I'd really like someone to put into substantive words--with specifics, not generalities--just what it is that makes, say, Disney's service so much better. Someone dressed up as Goofy? Please.[/quote]

Since I am the one that mentioned Disney, I'll address the question. And bear in mind, I'm not complaining about my NCL room steward experience - it was fine.

On our two Disney cruises, without exception, when we left for breakfast, the room was cleaned. Then, during the day, whenever we left, the room was straightened up - I have no idea how they knew, but they did. At dinner, the room was turned down, chocolates on the pillows, towel animals left, and made ready for sleep.

On NCL, the room was straightened up during breakfast time and then never touched until dinner. The only time it got cleaned was after Egypt. Turn down service during dinner was just that, beds turned down and chocolates left on the pillows.

Yes, Disney is more expensive, and if you can afford it, worth it. But we knew what we were getting into with NCL and the freestyle dining made up for it. I'm just surprised that with a lower quality of service, NCL as higher suggested tipping amounts - I guess it is possible that Disney pays their service employees better and relies less on tipping to have them make a living wage.

[quote name='Don Haynes']Yes you are wrong. Only NCL had a reduced service charge for children, only NCL. Why are you surprised NCL changed their policies to treat children the same as all the other cruise lines?

Thanks to the stiffers, the daily service charge exists. The cruise lines had to do something to keep their employees from signing contracts with other cruise lines.[/quote]
I am not surprised! I couldn't care less...I have no small children that we would be taking on a cruise. I have no problem paying $12/pp/day, and I will be tipping the butler and concierge as well....all part of the cost of cruising. ;)

I was just asking about what I thought I observed last year on RCI....

No need to be so harsh. :(

[quote name='G-Funk']Since I am the one that mentioned Disney, I'll address the question. And bear in mind, I'm not complaining about my NCL room steward experience - it was fine.

On our two Disney cruises, without exception, when we left for breakfast, the room was cleaned. Then, during the day, whenever we left, the room was straightened up - I have no idea how they knew, but they did. At dinner, the room was turned down, chocolates on the pillows, towel animals left, and made ready for sleep.

On NCL, the room was straightened up during breakfast time and then never touched until dinner. The only time it got cleaned was after Egypt. Turn down service during dinner was just that, beds turned down and chocolates left on the pillows.

Yes, Disney is more expensive, and if you can afford it, worth it. But we knew what we were getting into with NCL and the freestyle dining made up for it. I'm just surprised that with a lower quality of service, NCL as higher suggested tipping amounts - I guess it is possible that Disney pays their service employees better and relies less on tipping to have them make a living wage.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy]We sailed on Disney two years ago and your experience was not ours. We saw our room stewart only once and never had THAT much cleaning done to our cabin...just morning and evening. Don't remember any chocolates or towel animals.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy]It was nothing outstanding or memorable.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I don't know, maybe we've been lucky; we've always had a great crew and staff. On our recent cruise to the Mex Rev on the Star, we had an outstanding crew with great service. From cabin stewards to the waiters/
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]waitresses, to the butler ,to the concerier to almost every staff member we ran into, they all provided great service. Always accomodating, always with a great attitude. Even though they automatically get a gratuity, we always give them a generous (extra) tip at the end of the cruise. For those who ate at the Blue Lagoon; did you ever think of tipping the gal/guy that brought you your food/dessert; we did, every night.;) [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='G-Funk']
[/quote]
On NCL, the only difference has been that the room wasn't "straightened up" during the day--whatever "straightened up" means. I don't think I want to pay three times as much cruise fare to have my room "straightened up"--again, whatever that means--during the day. We've always had our room cleaned early in the morning, always had the room turned down, chocolates on the pillows, towel animals most nights (and ask me if I really care about towel animals:rolleyes:), and the room made ready for sleep.

Doesn't sound like much difference in the level of service. Of course, there's always Goofy.

[quote name='G-Funk']$12 on NCL and a suggested amount of $10.90 on Disney (based on 7 day cruise). Speaking from experience, there is NO comparison between service levels the two, Disney is so much better![/quote]
And when I asked what that difference is, the only difference you cited was that they "straightened up" your room during the day. This is "NO comparison?" This is "so much better?" Hyperbole, I'd say. Worth three times the daily cruise fare? Really?

Archived