Do you miss the midnight buffet?

I do ...But I miss the ones from long ago..say early 80's...

We sailed NCL several times..and they were awesome..Shrimp.steak.Wonderful desserts...More then anyone really needed..But..I was pretty young then...My first in 83..I was a senior in high school...so..We would just stay out in the sun all day....eat the wonderful burgers by the pool,skip dinner...party all night then do the buffet...Man..those were the days!

The buffets of today,that were just pretty to look at.No..not at all..

I was thinking the same thing. Those were the days!!!! Our last cruise in 2004 I sent my daughter to take pictures for me. Really won't miss them at all!

Do not miss the Midnight Buffet at all. I do like the Caribbean buffet/party they hold on the pool deck although I still do not eat anything. I do however see a lot more people eating the food there than I ever did eating in the main dining room at the midnight buffet.

Nope....impossible to have that much food....especially If you are in lat seating....It is pretty cool and has awesome stuff(you guys should see the Celebrity Solstice one a few weeks ago) but we just can't have anything....:eek:

I was thinking the same thing. Those were the days!!!! Our last cruise in 2004 I sent my daughter to take pictures for me. Really won't miss them at all!

Exactly..and there was not much picture taking either back then..There was too much good food..Did I mention the crab and lobster !!:p

The first one I ever saw was back in the 80's on RCCL (Sun Viking) and I would love to see something like that again. They had maybe 20 ice carvings, pastries, chocolates, seafood and other food that only was available only at this buffet. Lastly it was in the dinning room and I didn't get blown away or rained on like buffets today. If RCCl was to get rid of these I would say "who cares", but I would love to see the buffets of old again.

All of you posters AMAZE ME!! 39 posts, and only a couple said they enjoyed the buffets.

We have been to the buffets and who were all those THOUSANDS of people in line and stuffing their pie holes????? If none of you ever went or think it's "Such a waste"??????

I do ...But I miss the ones from long ago..say early 80's...

We sailed NCL several times..and they were awesome..Shrimp.steak.Wonderful desserts...More then anyone really needed..But..I was pretty young then...

The buffets of today,that were just pretty to look at.No..not at all..

In a way, I do miss it. It is a nice cruise tradition.

At least there were two people who were honest. ;)

First of all, the "Good Ol' Days" when they had a different theme every night, and the food was GREAT!. Every night we would say, "This time we'll just go and look but not eat anything - I'm still full from dinner." And then we'd end up with a full plate.:p

Our cruise just last Nov. had a "Gala Buffet" one of the nights. We went and enjoyed, and reminissed about how we missed the "Good Ol' Days".

All of you posters AMAZE ME!! 39 posts, and only a couple said they enjoyed the buffets.

We have been to the buffets and who were all those THOUSANDS of people in line and stuffing their pie holes????? If none of you ever went or think it's "Such a waste"??????

I´m surprised as well and wondered why the lines have been so long at the midnight buffets and people left with plates full of food.

I´m also surprised at the many responses about not being able to eat that late when there have been sooo many discussions about how hard it is to get food at night and now there is a room service charge added at those nighttimes:rolleyes:

Anyways from the responses it seems that it´s been a good decision by RCI to eliminate the buffets, though I do miss them. The lack of won´t ruin my cruise, but it takes away from the cruise experience. :(

We have been to the buffets and who were all those THOUSANDS of people in line and stuffing their pie holes????? If none of you ever went or think it's "Such a waste"??

I only went once, ever. I was kind of sleepy, and a big lady yelled at me for getting in the way of her picture of grapes and cantaloupe.

I don't know how people are able to eat at that late hour; halfway through the cruise I get tired of eating!

We stayed up and went to a chocolate midnight buffet once. Not on RCI, it was an NCL ship. The buffet looked gorgeous, but as far as taste went it was like everything was covered with Hershey's chocolate syrup. Nothing wrong with Hershey's but it all tasted the same, pretty but boring.

We're not a fan of buffets no matter the time, so we no longer make an effort to go to one at midnight. But I have to agree with DHADEN and cannot believe so many state they will not miss it. Every cruise I've been on with a midnight buffet I overhear many people talking about it the next day.

I'm not terribly surprised this is being eliminated. A lot of people assume it's food cost. Labor is the largest cost of operations in a kitchen, I'm sure they have eliminated a few positions in the kitchen doing away with the extra buffets. Cruiselines have to cut their costs somewhere and it can't be in the operation of the vessel, so it has to come from somewhere and I personally think the only way to trim is personnel.

I am never up at midnight!

Funny Story about the midnight buffet:

I had heard to make sure I stayed awake for this, well I went to sleep and told my DH to wake me up when it was time. I got up quickly, I was already dressed, ran to the dining room to take a few pictures and then ran back to bed. It was really neat to see, but I didn't eat anything. So I will not miss it on my next cruise.

Archived