Mexico/swine flu discussions (merged)

coxswain

Well i thinl cruiselines would be stupid to ignore it - can you imagine the lawsuits if someone caught the flu.

jj.....

Well , maybe some people will get their wish and there will be a few 7 day cruises to 'nowhere'. Sounds boring to me but some people here have exressed interest before.

Why would they move a thread about the flu to the Floataway?

All the other boards have threads.

As a matter of fact,the Carnival board has one started by Cruise Critic and Laura is posting on it Live from a cruise to Mexico!

As a matter of fact,the Carnival board has one started by Cruise Critic and Laura is posting on it Live from a cruise to Mexico!

Good question !!

Things are moving fast - Germany urges no travel to Mexico

WHO to upgrade their level from a 3 to a 4 ( 5 being a pandemic )

jj......

I wondered about this this morning, too. I noticed that the boards still had their discussions up still. I figured RCI had a hand in wanting this off this forum.

It's ashame if it's true, because this makes me think less of RCI.

I wondered about this this morning, too. I noticed that the boards still had their discussions up still. I figured RCI had a hand in wanting this off this forum.

I wonder ??

Watching the UK government statement - ports and airports on full alert. Flu vaccine put on standby and will be used. Arrangements put in place to support hospitals if a Pandemic is declared.

jj.......

USA Today cruise log has it covered on their front page: http://blogs.usatoday.com/cruiselog/

Cruise lines: No plans to cancel calls in Mexico due to swine flu

FWIW, I have some friends that work in public health, and they said don't go there. Mexico isn't on my radar right now, as I'm planning for Alaska. But the EU has advised against travel to the US and Mexico (source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/27/AR2009042700814.html)

Sounds like a lot of brou ha ha to allow certain 'government' agencies the ability to take advantage of a 'crisis' by implementing legislation allowing the 'government' health agencies to put people under quarantine without due process. Even giving them the authority to use 'maximum force' like in shooting you, if you don't comply.

I sympathize with countries without the sanitation or means to handle the flu, but I don't see any reason to get hysterical about it until there is reason to.

Sorry, but I see this as an excuse to usurp more of our freedoms.

I'm supposed to be on the Mariner on Sun..... :eek:..... My travel agent says he has not heard a word from RC about canceling or diverting to someplace else....

Supposed to be on Enchantment Saturday, waiting it out....

I'm hoping they scrap Cozumel for my May 16th cruise on Enchantment. Buddy of mine who I'm going with just got a statement from his work not allowing employees to travel anywhere in Mexico. Really do not want to have to cancel, especially only getting 50% back.

Where would they divert to:confused::p

I personally wouldn't care if I had all sea days...but that's just me. I'm sure others would mind. Is anyone posting live from the Mariner this week (please insert link if you know of one).

For the Mariner of the Seas, how about San Diego, Catalina Island, 3 days at sea, and dock for 1 hour in Ensenada, just to be legal!;)

Rick

Now that would completely be a lously cruise! We sail on the Mariner on 5/10. I live in So. Cal. I could drive to San Diego 2 hours and take a boat, 30 minutes to Catalina. I would hate to have that itinary for the amount of money we paid for this cruise.

I personally wouldn't care if I had all sea days...but that's just me. I'm sure others would mind. Is anyone posting live from the Mariner this week (please insert link if you know of one).

I have not seen or heard from anyone sailing this week. If there is I sure wish they would post....

They have a live post on the Carnival board for the Splendor with the same itinerary and as of right now nothing is being said onboard regarding this flu........

Now that would completely be a lously cruise! We sail on the Mariner on 5/10. I live in So. Cal. I could drive to San Diego 2 hours and take a boat, 30 minutes to Catalina. I would hate to have that itinary for the amount of money we paid for this cruise.

I live in So Cal too and am suppose to cruise on the Mariner Sunday:(

The CDC says the EU's warning on travel to the US is "not warranted" at this time. http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/27/swine.flu/

USA Today's cruise blogger, Gene Sloan, is reporting no cruise lines have plans to change or cancel cruises to Mexico. http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=66067249.blog

We're not sailing until July, but this would be fine with me too. I love sea days!

You figured?

If they slow the ship down. Its sometimes hard to enjoy a nice day with 70knt winds across the decks.

Shoving off for 7 day cruise last week of May. Saw all of the swine flu and read about the State Departments intention to issue a travel warning for all of Mexico later today so I thought I would give RC a call.

The agent told me that they are not cancelling the cruises and if things get worse they will just avoid mexican ports and will instead go to other ports?

Anyone have any idea what other ports they would visit?

Also-if they don't cancel the cruise and they don't dock were they are supposed to (as advertised), is this an opportunity to squeeze something out of RC like an upgrade or something?

Thanks from a first time cruiser!

Archived