I only trust Seabourners - Rome

seapenarth

We always like staying further away from the Spanish Steps at the Empire Palace Hotel because we like quiet and don't mind walking. A number of our friends(who don't mind the noise) have stayed at the Inn at the Spanish Steps and enjoyed it very much.

Seapenarth,

Do yourself a favor and check out the Hotel de Russie on the Via del Babuino. It's right at the Piazza del Popolo and about a five minute walk to the spanish Steps. IMO, it's the best in Rome. One of its best features is a magnificent terrace area surrounded by greenery and hills. Plus the rooms and service are top rate.

I am looking at the Inn at the panish Steps. They have a good rate. Do you happen to know if it has an elevator? So many don't, of course. I no longer do 4th floor walk-ups. I emailed the hotel and they never replied.

I do plan to dine at the Hotel de Russie, however.

I like to stay at the Spanish Steps and have stayed at the Hassler many times and have always enjoyed it. The Russie recommended by a prior contributor is a fabulous hotel as well. I have also stayed at the Hotel de la Vie before it was an Intercontinental (about 20 years ago) and loved it, but can't comment on what it is like now.

By the way, the Hilton is not well located for sight seeing.

Hotel Eden is walking distance from the Spanish steps. Beautiful hotel, beautiful staff and rooms. Stayed using AmX points, we received an upgrade, and free bottle of wine. The hotel set us up with the most perfect guide for a tour at the Vatican museum. (granted it was expensive) I wish we stayed longer as it was one of my favorite hotel in the world.

I agree about the Hilton, stayed there 10 years ago, nice hotel, but could not walk anywhere. Had to take a cab everywhere.

The Cavalieri is out of town. If you have been to Rome on numerous other occasions and are looking to unwind --fine -- if you want to tour Rome very inconvenient! BTW, the Empire palace where we stay by the Borghese Gardens has the best Bellinis I have ever has in my life -- their white peach jiuce is so fresh it makes all the difference.

Jane, if you are looking for other dining venues try Piperno in the jewish quarter. Their artichokes are to die for!

Thanks Chairsin, I was just reading in todays NYT travel section about divine artichokes in the Jewish quarter.

BTW, that article had highlights of several European cities with budgets of $250.00 and $1000.00 a day. Interesting read, since I shall be in several of them in the fall.

'My' Stafford Hotel in London was recommended on the pricier budget. Copenhagen is featured as well.

Jane

Have you decided on a transfer from Rome hotel to Civitavecchia?

JB and I are disappointed we'll miss you by just a few days ~~we arrive Rome, Oct. 23rd and will board the Spirit Oct. 24th.

We're thinking of booking Seabourn's hotel mainly for the transfers.

Have a good week!

MB

It would have been delightful to be able to spend an evening with you and JB in Rome! The Seabourn hotel options are too expensive for me. This time I want to spend under $300,00 so many of the suggestions are out. I just need a room and a bed and a tv...am currently looking at the Mercenate Palace; it has a rooftop garden. The Mascagni has also been recommended. I did like his operas..

Martha/Jane,

If you do not want to stay at a Seabourn hotel the train from the Termini station is a very easy and inexpensive way to get to Civitaveccia. We bought our tickets at the American Express office near the Spanish Steps and it could not have been easier. The train was clean, comfortable and quick.(This was especially easy last year because we had our luggage shipped to the ship so all we had on the train was a carry on bag).

Seapenarth,

Do yourself a favor and check out the Hotel de Russie on the Via del Babuino. It's right at the Piazza del Popolo and about a five minute walk to the spanish Steps. IMO, it's the best in Rome. One of its best features is a magnificent terrace area surrounded by greenery and hills. Plus the rooms and service are top rate.

Your'e absolutely right,the finest hotel in Rome! Great for star spotting, service,rooms and location. Pricey though,worth it!!!!

>"...am currently looking at the Mercenate Palace"

I settled on a great deal here, arranged limo service to and from and a day in Florence. I am going to Florence to find a particular jewelry shop from '67, which might not be there anymore, but such are memories. Don't need to re-visit The Uffizzi.

>"...am currently looking at the Mercenate Palace"

I settled on a great deal here, arranged limo service to and from and a day in Florence. I am going to Florence to find a particular jewelry shop from '67, which might not be there anymore, but such are memories. Don't need to re-visit The Uffizzi.

which Limo company do you use Jane ?

I don't know the name. my TA is arranging it. Sorry. Will post it when I get it. I have bookmarked and corresponded with romecabs.com (I think) which was recommended on the Ports BB.

Sorry, Chairsin, but the only trains I am likely to take is the Orient Express or the one in the Scottish Highlands which stops at the distilleries.

Jane,

You're talking about the Royal Scotsman. Not only do they stop at a distillery but also at a smoked salmon factory. In fact, they have so many single malt scotches on the train you don't even need the distillery and they INSISTED I try as many as possible. Like Seabourn, it's all inclusive so I did my best.

Seapenarth,

A great limo company in Rome is LimoinRome. You can google for the email address and address it to Stefano.

Jane,

You're talking about the Royal Scotsman. Not only do they stop at a distillery but also at a smoked salmon factory. In fact, they have so many single malt scotches on the train you don't even need the distillery and they INSISTED I try as many as possible. Like Seabourn, it's all inclusive so I did my best.

Seapenarth,

A great limo company in Rome is LimoinRome. You can google for the email address and address it to Stefano.

I agree, you will do well with Stefano.

Archived