can you switch a ship after you're booked?

shellster1

I'm concerned about this swine flu, as my mother has a weak immune system and would be suseptable. We are booked on the Splendor to depart May 24th. I don't suppose Carnival would let us depart on another ship out of Florida to the Caribbean? We did not purchase travel insurance.

I'm concerned about this swine flu, as my mother has a weak immune system and would be suseptable. We are booked on the Splendor to depart May 24th. I don't suppose Carnival would let us depart on another ship out of Florida to the Caribbean? We did not purchase travel insurance.

You are in penalty phase, so Carnival would consider it a cancellation and a new booking. So you would have to pay a stiff penalty to re book on a different ship.

With that said, if things are really bad by the time you sail, I would imagine the cruiselines wouldnt pull into port.

Doesnt sound possible as Im sure you are past final payment so you would lose your deposit to change. You can always write, but it usually takes about 5 weeks to get a reply to a letter from my experience.

Stay on the ship if you are concerned, and wash your hands a lot to prevent getting sick.

I hope it doesn't come to that where we need to worry about this but if you have a weak immune system, all the more reason to have insurance.

I hope it doesn't come to that where we need to worry about this but if you have a weak immune system, all the more reason to have insurance.

True, but we've been on several cruises and never bothered with the insurance.

Also, I'm not sure how the insurance (in this case) would even help. I hear they are sticklers. Can you imagine: "Hi insurance company. We are worried about the swine flu so are not going to go on the cruise. Can you reimburse us now?"

Somehow I don't think it quite works this way.:)

Also, I'm not sure how the insurance (in this case) would even help. I hear they are sticklers. Can you imagine: "Hi insurance company. We are worried about the swine flu so are not going to go on the cruise. Can you reimburse us now?"

Actually, if you got cancel for any reason, that is kinda how it works. It doesnt matter what reason you have for cancelling. If you have insurance thru Carnival I agree it probably isnt the cancel for any reason I would have purchased. check out insuremytrip I think it is for different kinds of coverages.

I do think cancel for any reason insurance only covers 75% of your cruise however. just a FYI. depends on the coverage of course

True, but if you do cruise, and your mother would get sick, the services would be covered. If your mother is immuno-suppressed, she should have insurance to cover medical issues.

Actually, if you got cancel for any reason, that is kinda how it works. It doesnt matter what reason you have for cancelling. If you have insurance thru Carnival I agree it probably isnt the cancel for any reason I would have purchased. check out insuremytrip I think it is for different kinds of coverages.

I do think cancel for any reason insurance only covers 75% of your cruise however. just a FYI. depends on the coverage of course

I seriously thought that you had to prove you were half dead to get your money back with the insurance. Geez, now that I know this I probably will opt for the insurance from now on.

Here's another question for anyone who might be reading this: If my mom is too worried about the swine flu, could I bring someone else in her place? I would hate to do that, but I'm just wondering if that would be an option.

I seriously thought that you had to prove you were half dead to get your money back with the insurance. Geez, now that I know this I probably will opt for the insurance from now on.

Here's another question for anyone who might be reading this: If my mom is too worried about the swine flu, could I bring someone else in her place? I would hate to do that, but I'm just wondering if that would be an option.

I can almost answer this! lol I know that if you are booked with early saver fare you CAN NOT change the person to a different person. I believe any other fare you can change for a fee. I believe the fee is $50 but am not positive.

Early saver says you cant switch people's names.... that being said Iv seen posts where they went to a higher dept and names were switched. Thats only with early saver. Should be $50 otherwise.

There are a couple of good sites for insurance, just need to figure out which kind you want. Carnival is usually more $$$ for the same coverage you can get elsewhere. I have a 4 day cruise and it was about $50 for coverage on a cheap cruise.

firefly is correct. A cancellation for the way you phrased it would not be covered by Princess Berkely or any of the "normal" policies. Also as firefly warns, the coverage may only be at best 75% or even less (on some of these policies it looks like the later you cancel, therefore the higher the penalty, the less the coverage). If you're buying "Cancel for any Reason" coverage, carefully read & understand the policy - I think only 3 or 4 companies offer this, and generally at a 50% added premium!!!!! ken

Archived