getting sick b4 a cruise

retcwby

would you stay home from a cruise if you were sick of felt like you were becoming ill  

101 members have voted

1. 1. would you stay home from a cruise if you were sick of felt like you were becoming ill

• yes
    • no

Another question, if you had a cold or maybe felt like you were comming down with the flu right b 4 your cruise was scheduled to begin would you stay home?

yes

no

Of course, it would depend on what I was sick with. I had a sinus infection just before my last cruise, went on antibiotics & prayed I wouldn't be more seasick because of it. If I was coughing, sneezing, hacking, etc. I doubt I'd go. But then, that's why I make sure I have insurance. My dear BIL came on the cruise with a upset stomach & I wasn't too keen on being around him but he had been at our house 4 days prior to the cruise anyways.

How many people will be honest on this one?

Of course, it would depend on what I was sick with. I had a sinus infection just before my last cruise, went on antibiotics & prayed I wouldn't be more seasick because of it. If I was coughing, sneezing, hacking, etc. I doubt I'd go. But then, that's why I make sure I have insurance. My dear BIL came on the cruise with a upset stomach & I wasn't too keen on being around him but he had been at our house 4 days prior to the cruise anyways.

How many people will be honest on this one?

i'm talking about a cold or maybe the flu, like if you woke up today with a cough and stuffy nose and your cruise leaves tomarrow?

Ive gotten a double shot for strep throat at 9am on Wed. The Dr told me to go I would be fine with in 24 hours. We drove down and boarded the ship at 11 am on Thur. no fever no symptoms.

I did stay in the cabin until Friday just to make sure I didnt infect anyone else.

Wanda

Actually I probably would still cruise. I just would take plenty of meds with me. I always take immodium, sinus med., headache med., cold med., etc. If I needed an antibiotic I would go to the local urgent care place and get that too.

Big difference to me between a cold and the flu.

If I had a cold, I'm still going.

The flu, I'm staying home.

I'm not really sure how travel insurance treats this anyway. I can't imagine they're going to reimburse somebody who stays home with the sniffles or a cough.

Big difference to me between a cold and the flu.

If I had a cold, I'm still going.

The flu, I'm staying home.

I'm not really sure how travel insurance treats this anyway. I can't imagine they're going to reimburse somebody who stays home with the sniffles or a cough.

usually when the flu is just starting you don't know how bad it will be for a coupla days sometimes for a week or more.

I'm sure everyone will bash me for this but I will admit that I have gone on a cruise with a virus. I went to the doctor since my symptoms pointed to pregnancy and we were leaving the next day. Once the pregnancy was ruled out, she said I had a stomach virus. Gave me a heavy dose of antiobiotics and said it should be out of my system in 1-2 days. I decided to go ahead and go but would be washing my hands 24-7 and using hand sanitizers before touching anything. I did, didn't get my husband sick and had a wonderful time.

I woke up Friday morning with a cold and I was set to leave the next morning for FLL. I took my cold medicine and as many travel packets of kleenex as I could with me and vowed to have the best time possible!!!!!!

I had a very good time!!! I didn't drink as much cuz of the cold meds, but that didn't matter!

• Administrators
I'm sure everyone will bash me for this but I will admit that I have gone on a cruise with a virus. I went to the doctor since my symptoms pointed to pregnancy and we were leaving the next day. Once the pregnancy was ruled out, she said I had a stomach virus. Gave me a heavy dose of antiobiotics and said it should be out of my system in 1-2 days. I decided to go ahead and go but would be washing my hands 24-7 and using hand sanitizers before touching anything. I did, didn't get my husband sick and had a wonderful time.

Next time your doc gives you an antibiotic prescription for a diagnosed stomach "virus" you might want to ask a few questions about antibiotics, their side effects, and what they are and are NOT effective in fighting. Just a friendly caution -- overprescription of antibiotics in our country is a huge problem, and a factor in creating drug-resistant strains of various bacteria (THAT is what antibiotics treat, not virii).

If I can get out of bed I am going. :D

I was amazed on time boarding the QE2, they were making everyone fill out a health questioner asking if anyone had been ill. I wonder if I would have answered honestly if I had been ill. I would not want to be stuck in England and having to buy another flight...:cool:

Tom in Long Beach

Before our last cruise, I had developed pneumonia a week before we were supposed to sail.

I couldn't afford to take any days off work, so I took my meds and rested the little bit I could.

That Friday (the day before we left to drive all day to FLL) I went in to work at my usual 4AM and worked until 10AM, when I passed out.

I went straight to the doctor, where it turned out, my blood pressure had dropped critically low and my pulse ox count was apparently critically low also.

I spent the next 6-7 hours on a table, getting IV after IV of fluids and antibitotics pumped into me, until my blood pressure and pulse ox were back to normal levels.

I left and got my prescription of some powerful antibiotics filled, got some sleep and hit the road the next morning for the drive to FLL.

Unless I am dead or completely incapacitated, I am going on my scheduled cruise.:D

Bill

Remember, everyone, that people are usually contageous with colds, bugs, and viruses for about 24 hours before symptoms even show up. In many cases, once a person has been sick for over 24 hours, he or she is usually no longer contageous, just feeling icky.

Now, to answer the poll...I'd go on a cruise regardless of my condition. If I could get my body to the ship, I'd sail.

Actually, when you get the "flu" it's quite sudden---one second you're fine, the next, you feel HORRIBLE.

A cold is different--it starts slowly and builds, then declines.

You'll know one from the other---high fever, muscle aches, congestion, and the "I want to die" feeling is "flu"!

Archived