Need to vent about US Air experience...

April-in-NC

This wasn't a cruise related flight but this is the only place I can think of to let off some steam before I compose a complaint letter to US Air.

I fly about every 2-3 months, and since I live in Charlotte (US Air hub) 99% of the time that is what I fly on. I am well aware of the TSA regulations, baggage weight restrictions and the carry-on policy (even their new one). I don't fly often enough (or enough miles) to qualify for their Preferred Status, but I do have almost 40,000 miles accumulated over the past 3 years.

I just bought a new carry on suitcase and made sure before I bought it that it fit within US Air's new regulations.

Last Tuesday I flew from Charlotte to Las Vegas with NO PROBLEMS with my carry-on. My mother flew with me and she had NO PROBLEMS with her carry-on. Both suitcases fit into the overhead bin with the wheels toward the windows with a few inches to spare and you could have placed a briefcase on top of the bags (that was how much room we had left over).

When we went to board our return flight yesterday morning the gate agent immediatly told us our bags were "too big" to fit in the overhead bin. I tried to keep my composure and asked her what about the bag was "too big" and she told me mine was too fat and never responded about my mom's bag.

When I told her that I knew for a fact that they fit without a problem she gave me a dirty look and said "If you people would quit trying to avoid paying the $15 fee this wouldn't be a problem." Mom and I were offended, after all who WANTS to pay an additional $15 fee to check a bag for a short trip?

We finally got on board the plane and watched a woman try to STUFF her oversize duffel bag into the overhead bin. It was so heavy she could barely lift the bag over her head and it was so fat that she had to shove the bag to get it to fit. That is when Mom and I got really ticked off. If we had indeed "broken the carry-on rules" (which I still doubt) that woman definately had.

Is it too much to ask that the airline employees be consistent? I know it is a lost cause to expect them to be polite and helpful, but at least enforce the rules equally across passengers and across airports. The absolute last straw was when the flight finished boarding there was one briefcase and one 20 inch carry on in the bin over my head. There were other bins that had space available and it was a completely full flight. :mad:

Since we hadn't planned on checking bags we both had jewelry and other valuables in the suitcases that ended up underneath the plane, we didn't think about pulling them out at the time because we were to busy trying to figure out why we had to check our bags. Luckily we both had our car keys...

Both suitcases made it to our final destinations with nothing missing, but I'm still ticked off about it. I really do try my best to follow the rules, I made sure the new carry-on I bought fit their new regulations, and I try not to complain to airline staff when something goes wrong (most of the time it is out of their control anyway). Why do I always end up angry when I fly? If it isn't one thing it is another

Sometimes I really don't like living close to a US Air hub... :mad: They control all the gates and prices in Charlotte.

So don't fly them. You are choosing to use them, likely because of the non-stops you can get from CLT. Trust me, you could have flown from CLT to LAS on AA, UA, DL, NW or CO as well.

Do you know the US rules on carryons? Did the agent measure the bags? If not, I would have asked for the measurement.

Also, just because they fit on a prior flight doesn't mean they were within the regs.

I have run into so many airline problems, over the years I have lost count. I am sure if it were not for the woman with the huge overstuffed carry on, you probably wouldn't have been quite as upset about the whole thing.

I still remember carrying on one small carry on for each of us on one flight (can't even remember which carrier it was) and watching others with 3 or 4 carry ons ahead of us (this was before the new rules). So, we board with our ONE and they tell us, no room, you will have to check your carry ons. I told them, "as soon as you check some of the ones that were ahead of me that brought on 3 or 4, I will be more than glad to check mine also". I still remember the roll of the FA's eyes at me, but amazingly, they found room for our two small carry ons within minutes. :D

So don't fly them. You are choosing to use them, likely because of the non-stops you can get from CLT. Trust me, you could have flown from CLT to LAS on AA, UA, DL, NW or CO as well.

Do you know the US rules on carryons? Did the agent measure the bags? If not, I would have asked for the measurement.

Also, just because they fit on a prior flight doesn't mean they were within the regs.

First, when I fly for work, I am required to choose the least expensive flight which is usually US Air. This trip was for pleasure so while technically I did have a choice, my mom had to fly US Air (she was flying for work and had to take the cheapest flight) and we wanted to travel together.

Did you read the part where I made sure the new bag I bought fit the new US Air carry on regulations? :confused: They allow 45 total inches (22x9x14) and my bag is 21 inches. So yes, they fit the regs on the previous flight.

I may not be a super frequent flier, but I'm a smart traveler. I know the rules and regulations for the TSA security checkpoints and the airline (or cruise ship) I travel on.

They did not measure either of our bags, just looked at them and declared them oversize. That was annoying enough, but then add in the gate agent's rudeness and then them allowing other passengers with larger bags board just really ticked us off.

When we went to board our return flight yesterday morning the gate agent immediatly told us our bags were "too big" to fit in the overhead bin. I tried to keep my composure and asked her what about the bag was "too big" and she told me mine was too fat and never responded about my mom's bag.

When I told her that I knew for a fact that they fit without a problem she gave me a dirty look and said "If you people would quit trying to avoid paying the $15 fee this wouldn't be a problem." Mom and I were offended, after all who WANTS to pay an additional $15 fee to check a bag for a short trip?

We finally got on board the plane and watched a woman try to STUFF her oversize duffel bag into the overhead bin. It was so heavy she could barely lift the bag over her head and it was so fat that she had to shove the bag to get it to fit. That is when Mom and I got really ticked off. If we had indeed "broken the carry-on rules" (which I still doubt) that woman definately had.

Is it too much to ask that the airline employees be consistent? I know it is a lost cause to expect them to be polite and helpful, but at least enforce the rules equally across passengers and across airports. The absolute last straw was when the flight finished boarding there was one briefcase and one 20 inch carry on in the bin over my head. There were other bins that had space available and it was a completely full flight. :mad:

Since we hadn't planned on checking bags we both had jewelry and other valuables in the

What did you have to do-gate check your suitcases? Or did you end up at the back of the line getting on the plane? That is usually why stuff gets gate checked-there just isn't enough room. Gate checking stuff is a pain for everyone, so either the FA was having a bad day or the FA in the back of the plane had relayed to the FA in the front of the plane that overhead space was at a premium and someone's stuff was going to have to get gate checked. You just happened to be the unlucky person. Duffel bags are usually more "moldable" than harder suitcases and will fit in smaller/irregular spaces.

Could you have been on a different type of plane on the return or even the same type of plane with a different configuration??

I have a favorite red carry on. It reaches the maximum size limits for carry ons. I fly AA A LOT. It fits fine in the MD-80's, the bigger planes and MOST of the 757's. But there are a few 757's that I think belonged to TWA that have not been completely retrofitted with the new overheads and the new seats where my favorite red bag does NOT fit.

You very well could have been on a non retrofitted America West plane which had smaller overheads than some of the other planes.

You are wasting your time making a complaint. You have no way to prove whether your suitcase would fit that particular plane NOR do you have an impartial judge to determine the size of your new suitcase, as DEFINED by US. Let it go.

Hope this never happens again, but if it does, politely but firmly ask what is not OK with your bag. If they say it's "oversize", ask them to measure it. If the agent pushes back or resists, ask for a supervisor saying something like, "Thanks but since you're unable to resolve this let's get someone who can". It may not change the outcome but agents often do an about-face when you ask to escalate an issue.

I'm not doubting your account but it's possible your bag exceeded the dimensions when packed.

What did you have to do-gate check your suitcases? Or did you end up at the back of the line getting on the plane? That is usually why stuff gets gate checked-there just isn't enough room. Gate checking stuff is a pain for everyone, so either the FA was having a bad day or the FA in the back of the plane had relayed to the FA in the front of the plane that overhead space was at a premium and someone's stuff was going to have to get gate checked. You just happened to be the unlucky person. Duffel bags are usually more "moldable" than harder suitcases and will fit in smaller/irregular spaces.

Could you have been on a different type of plane on the return or even the same type of plane with a different configuration??

I have a favorite red carry on. It reaches the maximum size limits for carry ons. I fly AA A LOT. It fits fine in the MD-80's, the bigger planes and MOST of the 757's. But there are a few 757's that I think belonged to TWA that have not been completely retrofitted with the new overheads and the new seats where my favorite red bag does NOT fit.

You very well could have been on a non retrofitted America West plane which had smaller overheads than some of the other planes.

You are wasting your time making a complaint. You have no way to prove whether your suitcase would fit that particular plane NOR do you have an impartial judge to determine the size of your new suitcase, as DEFINED by US. Let it go.

They had us gate check it before we even stepped through the doorway of the gate. At that point we were irritated about the inconvenience (and inconsistency) and only angry at the rude comments by the gate attendent. We didn't get really angry at the whole experience until we saw others (especially that one woman) trying to cram her obviously oversize bag into the bin and then realizing how much empty space was left on the plane when we took off.

We were on the exact same plane for both routes, I think it was a 330, but I'm not 100% on that.

The reason I am making a complaint to US Air is more about the way we were treated (rudeness) than the rule itself. They need to train their gate agents on the rules and make sure they are enforced uniformly regardless of which airport you are flying out of.

I do not expect compensation from US Air, I know that I can't prove that I was right but I would like them to know that the actions of some of their employees are giving them a bad (or worse than it already was) reputation.

Kind of reminds me of my trip on AirTran out of FLL over the holidays. They were real sticklers regarding the size of the bags. They actually stretched my duffel to make sure it was oversized when they did the measurement even though I had it compressed and cinched to fit within the total dimension limit. I was pretty sure that there was a revenue goal behind the strict checking and all the passengers returning from cruises at FLL make it a slam dunk to pull in $1-2k extra / flight.

April,

Go ahead and file your complaint, you have nothing to lose.

My wife and I were delayed over 12 hours due to mechanical failure with a DL flight and I relayed my experience here in t thread where someone asked what happens in the case of a mechanical filure.

I was told: "Suck it up, you should have been more proactive and not relied on the gate agents and DL reps to help you, don't expect anything, your complaint amounts to incoherent ramblings, the airline is under no obligation to compensate you, etc., etc."

Well I did write a complaint, 2 of them in fact.

The result was that initially we each received a $150 eVoucher in the mail with an apology letter dated the day before I sent the first email complaint. Fair enough, the airline realized they made a mistake and compensated us before they even received my email.

Two weeks later I received an email response with another apology and an additional $125 eVoucher for each of us.

Amazingly, just last week I received a second email replying to one of my emails asking that I call to discuss our experience. I felt that DL had done enough to compensate us (eVouchers totaling $550) and replied that the problem had been resolved.

Who knows what more I could have gotten had I called and actually voiced my complaints to a customer service rep since the 3 contacts were from 3 different individuals and I suspect the right hand had no idea what the left hand was doing.

It's unlikley that you will receive anything as your level of inconvenince was minimal but what is the harm in writing and sending a letter? The act in itself can be cathartic.

Best of luck, and as an infrequent "frequent flyer" I share your frustrations of an industry that is a mystery to those of us who don't utilize it enough to understand its intricacies.

The reason I am making a complaint to US Air is more about the way we were treated (rudeness) than the rule itself. They need to train their gate agents on the rules and make sure they are enforced uniformly regardless of which airport you are flying out of.

I do not expect compensation from US Air, I know that I can't prove that I was right but I would like them to know that the actions of some of their employees are giving them a bad (or worse than it already was) reputation.

Exactly what escalated our situation. The agents were rude, condescending and lied directly to my face about what they could and could not do to help us.

I understnd mechanical issues, I'm a gearhead and know things break and don't go as planned. All we wanted was someone to be honest with us and abide to their own published policy.

Had they put us up for the night in a room (I would have gladly accepted a Motel 6 - I'm really not that hard to please), I wouldn't have sent a complaint and I would have dismissed the matter as one of the pitfalls of air travel.

They had us gate check it before we even stepped through the doorway of the gate. At that point we were irritated about the inconvenience (and inconsistency) and only angry at the rude comments by the gate attendent. We didn't get really angry at the whole experience until we saw others (especially that one woman) trying to cram her obviously oversize bag into the bin and then realizing how much empty space was left on the plane when we took off.

We were on the exact same plane for both routes, I think it was a 330, but I'm not 100% on that.

US employees have no reason to be nice. The airline has two different unions with two different sets of rules. Seniority has never really been decided and so both sides feel they are getting short shrift from the merger. US has a real morale problem and has for quite a few years. And MANAGEMENT DOES NOT CARE. Write your complaint. I still think it is a VERY petty complaint. How do you define RUDE??? You weren't inconvenienced in the least.

Exactly what escalated our situation. The agents were rude, condescending and lied directly to my face about what they could and could not do to help us.

I understnd mechanical issues, I'm a gearhead and know things break and don't go as planned. All we wanted was someone to be honest with us and abide to their own published policy.

Had they put us up for the night in a room (I would have gladly accepted a Motel 6 - I'm really not that hard to please), I wouldn't have sent a complaint and I would have dismissed the matter as one of the pitfalls of air travel.

You are dealing with two ENTIRELY different problems with two ENTIRELY different airlines. While I don't fly Delta very often, I did fly America West a lot. And the culture at US Air (large East Coast unionized, East Coast union attitude company) had dragged down what was a very nice, small airline. US Air could care less about most problems.

The OP really has no reason to complain. Who decides who is RUDE??? Your luggage gets gate checked. So what. It's not like you had to PAY to check your luggage.

How do you define RUDE??? You weren't inconvenienced in the least.

Well, where I come from, talking down to customers is rude. The female gate agent talked to us like we were poor white trash because we didn't check the bag and pay the $15. She said, "If you people would quit trying to avoid the $15 fee this wouldn't be a problem." The comment was unnecessary and the tone of her voice was RUDE. I've paid plenty of $15 fees to check bags, but if I can avoid it I will. Especially when I pack light for a short trip.

The gate agent did inconvenience me. It took them almost one hour from the time they parked at the gate to get the bags to baggage claim. This was one of the reasons I did not check a bag in the first place. I wanted to get right on the shuttle bus and get to my car and go climb in my own bed with my own sheets.

I do think it is a minor inconvenience, but I still think we shouldn't have been treated the way we were.

You are dealing with two ENTIRELY different problems with two ENTIRELY different airlines. While I don't fly Delta very often, I did fly America West a lot. And the culture at US Air (large East Coast unionized, East Coast union attitude company) had dragged down what was a very nice, small airline. US Air could care less about most problems.

The OP really has no reason to complain. Who decides who is RUDE??? Your luggage gets gate checked. So what. It's not like you had to PAY to check your luggage.

I admit they are entirely different issues and I admit that the OP is not likely to recieve anything in return.

The act of writing a letter can be cathartic and at worst the sender is out the cost of a stamp.

I believe what the OP is miffed about is the inconsistent enforcement of their own published regulations/policies. Which was my issue as well. The gate agent arranged for a room for the night to a customer standing in line direclty ahead of me and I overhead the entire conversation. When I asked for a room the agent told me there were no rooms available. I stated that he gave a room to the couple ahead of me in line and he replied that they "had a medical condition". It must be coded on their ticket/reservation as I head the entire conversation and never once was a medical condition mentioned.

Back on topic. It's all about being consistent. Would you be upset if you got a speeding ticket and the officer stated you were going 65 in a 55 when your speedometer indicated 55, AND you were being passed by other cars that were clearly exceeding the speed limit and were not ticketed.

Whether US Management cares or not, I have no idea but with your experience and insight I'm afraid your probably correct.

Not to move this to a nuclear power vs. green power discussion (btw, I agree with you 100%), but in my humble opinion the problem with our society is that fewer and fewer people care anymore about doing the right thing.

Back on topic. It's all about being consistent. Would you be upset if you got a speeding ticket and the officer stated you were going 65 in a 55 when your speedometer indicated 55, AND you were being passed by other cars that were clearly exceeding the speed limit and were not ticketed.

Happens quite frequently. I own a trucking company. Radar picks up the largest object. So trucks traveling 55 getting passed by cars traveling at 65 often get stopped. And Arizona has gone totally nuts with "photo radar". You now get your traffic tickets via the mail from a camera. The cameras have already been proved to be out of calibration. THAT is inconsistent. The tone of voice/RUDENESS/policy process may not be inconsistent with the person's normal daily demeanor. You don't know and you can't prove it.

12 hour delay deserves a response and possibly compensation (or at least a meal). Gate checking luggage-write the complaint if it make you feel good. I just don't have a lot of patience for wasting time on such minor problems. Don't sweat the small stuff.

OP I understand your frustration and need to vent. I would have been really ticked off too. I don't understand why so many are defending the airline. I think you should send a letter of complaint because of the lack of good customer service. Maybe they will listen and do something about it and maybe not but you will feel better letting them know how you feel.

Write your complaint. I still think it is a VERY petty complaint. How do you define RUDE??? You weren't inconvenienced in the least.

The OP was accused of trying to beat the system and save $15, when this was not the case. OP truly believed that the carry on was within the restrictions. Then he saw someone else being allowed to bring a very large carry on. Rules are rules and need to be applied fairly and evenly. I feel a complaint is warranted!

We had a similiar situation arise with Delta-ATL to LAS. The gate agent told us we had to check our bags because the overhead bins were full. We were about midway through the boarding process. Our bags were not oversize for carry on, nor were they overstuffed.

We were told to leave them on the gangway just at the entrance prior to boarding the plane and given a ticket to attach to our bags. This sounded crazy-when we got to the designated area, there were no other bags there. Since the plane was only half boarded, we figured the overhead bins could no way be full, so we just ripped off the tags, and carried them aboard. There was plenty of overhead space. Not sure what the gate agent was thinking that day-she was rude and obnoxious, and obviously having a bad day. Since you can't argue with these people for fear of getting arrested, we just ignored her.

If the overhead bins are completely full when I board, only then will I agree to check my bags, but not before.

So sorry to hear of your frustrations. That's why we always take a printout of the most recent rules I can find and am prepared to say as nicely as possible should we find ourselves in your position that I have a copy of the regulations in my hand and meassured before leaving home, so would they please measure for me so I can see how I managed to measure incorrectly and if their regulations have changed since I printed it out could I please have a copy of the new regulations for future reference.

Never had to actually gate check anything as of yet because of being oversized. :)

If your biggest complaint is the rudeness, it is probably better to just move on.

The business world is a very different place from what it was and probably from what it should be. I think it is impossible to have a large staff where each day each person is kind and sensitive and never rude. Doesn't happen anywhere I've visited lately including the grocery store, the doctor's office, etc.

I would save letter writing to damages that can be monetized. Sad. JMHO

Happens quite frequently. I own a trucking company. Radar picks up the largest object. So trucks traveling 55 getting passed by cars traveling at 65 often get stopped. And Arizona has gone totally nuts with "photo radar". You now get your traffic tickets via the mail from a camera. The cameras have already been proved to be out of calibration. THAT is inconsistent.

So do you let it slide? Let your drives risk losing their CDL because the laws aren't enforced equally?

Rules are rules, either they are enforced consistently or they are not and when they are not and I am affected I WILL make a stink about it.

The reason we don't have higher standards is not because business doesn't care, it's because consumers don't care. We allow them to treat us the way they do.

And Arizona has gone totally nuts with "photo radar". You now get your traffic tickets via the mail from a camera.

There was a recent article about AZ radar cams in Road & Track. The governor at the time, Janet Napolitano, really pushed them into widespread use. She also made sure "violations" on the radar cams were changed from a "Chargeable offense" to a lesser category. That lowers the level of proof to "reasonably sure". The registered owner gets the ticket and they don't need to photograph the driver's face because they are "reasonably sure" the registered owner is the driver! Proof to the contrary will not be considered by the courts since the watered down process circumvents due process. Also she made it a big-time offense to cover the name of the state on the license plate. And this is our new Homeland Security Director. Be very scared!

we had a similiar situation arise with delta-atl to las. The gate agent told us we had to check our bags because the overhead bins were full. We were about midway through the boarding process. Our bags were not oversize for carry on, nor were they overstuffed.

We were told to leave them on the gangway just at the entrance prior to boarding the plane and given a ticket to attach to our bags. This sounded crazy-when we got to the designated area, there were no other bags there. Since the plane was only half boarded, we figured the overhead bins could no way be full, so we just ripped off the tags, and carried them aboard. There was plenty of overhead space. Not sure what the gate agent was thinking that day-she was rude and obnoxious, and obviously having a bad day. Since you can't argue with these people for fear of getting arrested, we just ignored her.

If the overhead bins are completely full when i board, only then will i agree to check my bags, but not before.

++1

They had us gate check it before we even stepped through the doorway of the gate.
I have to say that if I wanted it to be carry-on and not checked, and I knew I was in the right, I would have insisted that the bag be measured before giving in. Especially if the gate agent was being rude.

If I gave in, I would not let myself get irritated in the least about it afterwards. It would have been my choice to let it slide. Getting angry about it afterwards, when you've backed down at the point at which the dispute might have been resolved, is only going to raise my blood pressure and reduce my life expectancy. By then, it's too late to make a complaint.

Every boarding gate I have ever seen has a metal frame so you can see if the carryon fits. I dunno how arguments like this occur when the proof is sitting on the floor by the gate.

Steve

Archived