Istanbul - Spice Bazaar - can I can't I?

I have not been able to find anything about this. We are going to Istanbul and want to do shopping for spices at the bazaar to bring home.

Question, can or can't I and where can I find out which spices I can?

Thanks,

Jennifer

I don't know about loose spices, but you can buy packets of spices. I don't know how good they might be since they are packaged for tourists.

If you are worried about being able to bring them back into the US, like fruits and veggies, I would look around on the TSA site or the USDA site. Maybe they have information about what can be brought back.

I don't know about the official stand on spices. I do know that I read you should avoid the pre-packaged spice packs, as they are not always the freshest. I did not bring any spices back as we have an excellent local market.

I also read that you can bring back caviar (they sell it at the Spice Market as well, apparently cheaper than many other places). They will specially package it for you in dry ice and I believe it is good for about 48 hours before having to be refrigerated.

I have not been able to find anything about this. We are going to Istanbul and want to do shopping for spices at the bazaar to bring home.

Thanks,

Jennifer

The information I just received is that you can bring back spices. I got this information from my son who inspects for the USDA. He better be right, since he will be with me on a cruise in the Mediterranean and I will be bringing back some spices.:D

The information I just received is that you can bring back spices. I got this information from my son who inspects for the USDA. He better be right, since he will be with me on a cruise in the Mediterranean and I will be bringing back some spices.:D

Two points, if I may:

If you are buying spices because you want good spices, you will do better buying them at home. Whole spices will keep much better than prepared ones, also. If you are buying them as a souvenir, enjoy.

Urban legend says that you increase your chances of being pulled aside for inspection by bringing i spices because they are used by drug smugglers to hide the smell from the search dogs. I have absolutely no idea if this is true or not and even if true, it is hardly the end of the world.

I don't know from personal experience if packing spices in your luggage will increase your chance of being pulled over by a drug dog, but I know for sure that having food will. My son had an apple in his backpack that a drug dog went crazy over.

Thanks,

Jennifer

As already posted, yes you can bring them back. Be careful at the Spice Bazaar if you want to purchase saffron. They do not sell true saffron and you will be wasting your money.

I honestly would not have wasted room in my luggage for spices there; the prices did not seem that great and I could purchase the same thing at home.

The spice Bazaar is great fun and wonderful smells. they do sell real saffron and the will put them in bottles and then put them in a package and vaccuum seal them tight with no smell available. We just finished the saffron we bought at the market about 18 months ago and it was much better than anything we bought locally.

Have fun.

The spice Bazaar is great fun and wonderful smells. they do sell real saffron and the will put them in bottles and then put them in a package and vaccuum seal them tight with no smell available. We just finished the saffron we bought at the market about 18 months ago and it was much better than anything we bought locally.

Have fun.

Was this the pinkish saffron in the large open barrels?

I purchased a bunch of spices at the bazaar and they vacuum seal them for you! We had a great time at the bazaar but be prepared to be overwhelmed! Also, try their apple tea...it's really good! :D

I don't know from personal experience if packing spices in your luggage will increase your chance of being pulled over by a drug dog, but I know for sure that having food will. My son had an apple in his backpack that a drug dog went crazy over.

The dogs are also trained to sniff out other items not allowed.

Fresh fruits are strictly not allowed to be brought back into the US !

(remember fruit flies ?)

By the way, for people who are considering visiting the Spice Bazaar, it is more than just spices. It is a very colorful, crowded, vibrant place to visit, particularly if the thought of the Grand Bazaar is overwhelming.

They sell a bit of everything there -- spices, food, souvenirs, scarves (I found som nice authentic batik scarves, also raw silk, actually made in Turkey not China!!), Turkish slippers, Turkish delight, lanterns, costume jewelry -- and of course, rugs. :rolleyes:

There is an excellent restaurant in the same square, facing the water, called Hamdi. It's good place for lunch if you are looking for a view -- go up to the top floor.

What would you consider easily? :D It can be done but it's not a short walk. You'd walk down the road parallel to where the ships dock (see #9 on the attached link for port area), cross the Galata bridge (#14), turn right, and the Spice Bazaar (#13) is a short distance to your left. It is in a covered area on the left side of a large square. Locals refer to it as the Egyptian bazaar.

http://www.living-turkey.com/living_in_turkey/photos/istanbul/map_istanbul_tours.jpg

.....or you could just take the tram for about 1.40 Turkish lira per person.

Archived