Differences in Fares ?

We are considering cruising from Venice in middle to late October 2010 . The later the cruise the better the price . Is this because the weather will be cooler or with more rain? Or are there fewer tourists and/or cruisers? We are from Western Canada and after this winter low temperatures and wind are not really a problem. It is snowing as I type . Why would the fare be $200 or more lower than the first week in October ? Thank you.:)

Supply and demand (or perceived as it may be). Mid to late October there will be fewer tourists. Prices on land will be cheaper (in many case but not all). Weather will generally less favorible than it would be a few weeks earlier. Weather is a very big factor for many people. If you think that there is a difference in prices now, just watch it over the next several months. Summer prices will get increasingly more expensive.

I'm with you. We're from Wydahoming and it snowed here today too! We usually go to the Med in early November and so far we have been very lucky weather-wise. We were in Venice from the 15th to the 19th of November and it was glorious--the Acqua alta (high water) came a few weeks later.

I think late October into November is the ideal for price + weather.

Cathy

The later in October, the more chance of rain, on average, and rain in Venice is serious business. (Wearing galoshes to wade through the flooding around San Marco is no fun.)

Here is a report from this past winter, late November early December. Flooding was especially bad,, worst in many many years. I guess between freak weather and global warming this will become more and more an issue, makes for a experience, I guess!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7758204.stm

There are some interesting picturs here :eek: no wonder prices are cheap in late season

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7758831.stm

I would say definitely to do with the weather and, despite what people say, having cruised the last week in October last year in the West Med I would never do so again. Unfortunately we were tied to school holidays so didn't have a choice on timing.

We had 3 days - which coincided with Rome, Pisa/Florence and a day at sea which were basically a wash-out, as was the day we stayed on in Barcelona post-cruise. Weather may not matter to some people but it really didn't make for a pleasant time trying to see the sights and take pictures whilst dodging umbrellas and shivering and some of our plans had to be shelved altogether :(

I realise that weather is unpredictable but you would be much more certain of better weather early in October

Really? We left November 1 from BCN and it was the tiniest bit drizzly the first 2 days, then perfect after that. So you never know. It never rained hard enough to disrupt our plans one bit--we did have umbrellas, though.

For me, it's the only time I CAN go, workwise, and I appreciate them having the low prices on my exact travel dates! ;)

Cathy

Really? We left November 1 from BCN and it was the tiniest bit drizzly the first 2 days, then perfect after that. So you never know. It never rained hard enough to disrupt our plans one bit--we did have umbrellas, though.

For me, it's the only time I CAN go, workwise, and I appreciate them having the low prices on my exact travel dates! ;)

Cathy

Yes really - although I think we were unlucky. It was drizzly the day we disembarked (the day you left) but the following day the rain hammered down until late afternoon. Likewise the day we called in Civitavecchia - thunderstorms and rain so hard that the excursion coaches were an hour late getting back to the ship. Pisa was a washout, steady rain for the whole morning and our day at sea on the way back was cold and miserable :(

We'd been watching the weather right up to leaving (on 25th October) and it was lovely and for 3 of the days we had nice weather. As I say, I think we may have been unlucky but it's not a risk I would take again. Having said that, we can pop over to Europe quite cheaply anyway but if it was my only opportunity to see those ports - and the price was good - it wouldn't hold me back, I'd just be prepared.

Both of our Med cruises have been the last two weeks in October. Last year we had fine weather until we got to Split and couldn't tender in because of high winds. In Venice there was some flooding at St. Mark's Square and you had to walk on the elevated walkways to go into the Basilica. The day we disembarked in Barcelona (Nov. 1st) it was pouring and didn't let up until around lunch time. I enjoyed both of our cruises because it seemed there were fewer tourists at the sites and there were few children since school was back in session.

Julie

Archived