Air Deviation - Tips For Success

ABoatNerd

The expertise on this board is amazing.

Therefore, could you share tips on how to maximize an air deviation request with Celebrity.

I wish to fly 2 days before departure and return 2 days after the cruise ends. I wish to ensure I get direct flights due to health issues. Also, I am Canadian so there is alot less choice of service providers. Being on a Panama cruise, the flights would be Toronto to Miami and San Diego to Toronto. I know there is an additional cost.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated. I have to deposit the cabin tomorrow.

Happy sailing to all

ABoatNerd

Why don't you just book it as 'cruise only', then sort out your own flights? You will probably get them cheaper and you can pick times, airlines, airports to suit you. I have booked my own flights for the last 3 cruises with no problems and can't see me going back to using 'Cruiseair'.

Simon

Since the question was how to get what you need for air deviation I will share my experience. I simply researched the flights I wanted, which like you was 2 days early and then 2 days post, and called the custom air department. I told them what flights I wanted and they told me if there would be a fee. One time there was a nominal fee of 35. pp and the next time there was no fee at all. Make sure if you are captain's club that you mention that. Good luck!

I would be very careful using 'cruise air'. For our trip, the cost was DOUBLE what I could book it for myself, and I get to choose my exact flights and times with no extra charge for 'deviating'. Before you pay, make sure you have checked what you can get your flights for booking on your own. Unless it's significantly cheaper, just do it on your own.

Cahty

Since I research the schedule I also research the price. Sometimes I can do better on my own, and sometimes crusie air is cheaper. The time for which there was no deviation fee I saved 600 dollars by using cruise air. Research is key!

Being from Canada I understand what you are asking. I usually check out the flights on Air Canada and give the Custom Air the flights that I want. It is usually not a problem if you are early enough, not last minute.

I agree with researching your flights before calling to insure that you get the best pricing. I had cruise air booked on my cruise originally but when researching I found that I could book them myself cheaper - from the airport that I wanted and the exact flights that I wanted.

According to our travel agent, an open jaw ticket, which is what the OP needs in this case, can sometimes be cheaper when purchased from the cruiseline. She hasn't checked for our Panama Canal cruise yet, which leads me to believe it doesn't necessarily have to be purchased when you book. Just a thought. But, as mentioned by others, research is key.

Archived