Questions about Touring Trinidad

Grammar Goddess

We'll be in Trinidad on the Grand Princess in December. This will be our first time here. On the recommendation of others on this site, we're considering Banwari Tours and the Northern Hop & Beach Break. Before I commit to anything, I'd like to know what experiences others have had with Banwari and with this tour. Were they prompt about picking you up when the ship docked? What did you pay? How long was the tour? What did you see? Was it worth it? Or would we better off doing something different? Do you recommend this for our day in Trinidad? Thanks for any help. :)

GG

In Trinidad, I'd suggest you go to the Bird Sanctuary. If you an get a tour carrying you out to their Pitch Lakes, that's another plus. Skip the shopping in Trinidad. It's over-priced and the crime situation is rather high there... Regardless, it's an extremely scenic port of call. I would also suggest you try and go to Mt. St. Benedict Cathedral. It offers beautiful 360 degree views of Trinidad. A tour through Port of Spain will also show you some pretty cool houses built in the 1800's.

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be in Trinidad on the Grand Princess in December. This will be our first time here.

On the recommendation of others on this site, we're considering Banwari Tours and the Northern Hop & Beach Break.

Before I commit to anything, I'd like to know what experiences others have had with Banwari and with this tour.

Can't say anything about Banwari,

but with a name like Northern Hop & Beach Break, it sounds like you'll do Maracas Bay

and maybe Las Cuevas and Blanchiseusse,too.

Is it a ship-sponsored tour?? --If it is, I'd almost definitely go with it.

Maracas_East.jpg

Maracas Bay

IMG_5081.JPG

Along the North Coast it's quite scenic and breezy.

IMG_5058.jpg

Location-wise, any North Coast tour is probably your best bet!

IMG_5061.JPG

Traffic is a definite factor in Trinidad, so I wouldn't go chasing-off far and wide looking for exotica

unless it's on a ship-sponsored tour.

Maracas Bay and back is a nice enough tour for any first-timer to Trinidad

and it's on the not-so-traffic-y side of town!

Frankly, if I were you

I'd opt for a ship's tour that's guaranteed to not-leave-you! ;)

This is an ideal port-of-call to do ship's tours!

They are not that much more expensive(if at all!)

and are well worth the peace-of-mind in that everything's laid on for you

and pre-arranged!

We were on Grand Princess in March and took Banwari tour- Beach Hop . EXCELLENT !!! Went to beach and had Richards Shark and Bake . Wonderful. Put us in front of line. Introduced us to Richard. Tour of Trindadad was great. Do this tour. Much better than ships.

We were on Grand Princess in March and took Banwari tour- Beach Hop . EXCELLENT !!!

Went to beach and had Richards Shark and Bake . Wonderful.

Put us in front of line. Introduced us to Richard.

Tour of Trinidad was great. Do this tour. Much better than ships.

What did I tell you?

If you did Richard's Shark and bake, then you definitely did Maracas Beach! :D

Do this tour. :)

• 2 weeks later...
In Trinidad, I'd suggest you go to the Bird Sanctuary. If you an get a tour carrying you out to their Pitch Lakes, that's another plus. Skip the shopping in Trinidad. It's over-priced and the crime situation is rather high there... Regardless, it's an extremely scenic port of call. I would also suggest you try and go to Mt. St. Benedict Cathedral. It offers beautiful 360 degree views of Trinidad. A tour through Port of Spain will also show you some pretty cool houses built in the 1800's.

We are interested in visiting the bird santuary, but how far is it from the port as we are a little concious of missing the ship at the end of the day. Did you go with Banwari or another tour operator. any advise would be much appreciated.

We are interested in visiting the bird santuary, but how far is it from the port as we are a little concious of missing the ship at the end of the day. Did you go with Banwari or another tour operator. any advise would be much appreciated.

Trinidad has two popular bird sanctuaries, Asa wright bird sanctuary in the hills of the northern range about one and a half hours drive from the port. There is a VERY small hotel for over nighters, trails to walk with guides etc.

Caroni bird sanctuary is a wet lands (swamp) bird sanctuary which you can access by tour boats. Famous for the bright red scarlet Ibis. you will see other birds maybe snakes caymans etc. About forty minutes from the port. Most caroni tours are late evening to catch the scarlet ibis returning to the wet lands. I dont know if there are other day time tours for when ships are in. Now you have the names of the sancturies you can google them for more info.

Caroni bird sanctuary is a wet lands bird sanctuary

which you can access by tour boats. ===> Mangrove forest.

Famous for the bright red scarlet Ibis. you will see other birds maybe snakes caymans etc.

Most Caroni tours are late evening to catch the scarlet ibis returning to the wet lands. ===> 4 p.m. to sunset but...

I don't know if there are other day time tours for when ships are in.

I'm fairly sure a daytime tour could be arranged for cruise-ship passengers

but it might have to be pre-arranged ahead of your arrival since -as pointed out above-

the usual trip is late afternoon, to see the flocks of Scarlet Ibis and white Egrets coming in to roost.

I've done the Caroni boat-trips several times now, but then I was staying on the island with relatives

and suffered no time constraints

I think I remember doing a daytime trip once, for some reason

You get to see quite a bit of animal life, and the guys who run the boats are good at pointing things out

-things you'd never see, by yourself...they so well camouflaged!

Take the tele-lens with you.

The only thing you won't see during a mid-day trip

would be the returning flocks coming in to roost

IF you don't have to be back on board until 8 p.m.(unusual,I know)

you might try the regular evening trip...they're usually back to base by sunset (6:30-ish)

-better yet, book the ship's tour if they offer one!

Caroni1.JPG

Making our way West along the main canal, to see the flocks of birds come in to roost.

About a half-mile down this canal, we turn left into a narrower canal

sometimes with the mangroves very close -it's "quite an adventure"!

• 3 months later...

I know it's been a few months since this thread's been active, but what do you think about a morning tour to Caroni? Unfortunately, it's probably not quite early enough, since it looks like it'd get there at about 9:30. Ship leaves at 4PM, so an evening tour isn't feasible.

.. what do you think about a morning tour to Caroni?

Go for it.

You'll still see lots, and in broad daylight (as opposed to diminishing evening light)

you might just see more, or certainly more easily.

I once did a day tour of Caroni and saw waders and ducks (and bears oh my!)

It was quite different to the usual evening tours

and it probably will be THE most different thing you did on your cruise!

• 1 month later...
..so here are a few pics from Trinidad

Hilton-773.jpg

The pool area at Trinidad Hilton

TYC-759-A.jpg

Smooth early morning waters at the Trinidad Yacht Club, Bayshore

CrewsInn-816.jpg

Old cannon at Crews Inn, Chaguaramas

CrewsInn-799.jpg

Crews Inn marina!

Thank you for the beautiful pictures, looking forward to going there in Jan

2010. Do you have a name of a great tour guide in Barbados??

Matt and Kathy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We will be on the Grand Princess which stops April 1st in Trinidad/Toago would appreciate any feed back on the North Coast Hop and Beach Stop Tour.

What is the cost per person, how long is the tour, and how many different beaches do you see and stay at for how long? How do you reserve, I am hoping you don't need to provide credit card info in advance as I am not keen on doing that.

I have sent a request to them but would like to hear from those who have taken this tour

Archived