Driving From Atlanta To Ft Lauderdale

GTO-Girl

In November we will be driving to Ft Lauderdale from Atlanta. (coming in the day before our cruise). We HATE to fly and we very much enjoy our driving time together.....even after 39 yrs together :D

Can anyone give me an idea about how long this might take? Also is it quicker to go I-75 through Orlando/Florida Turnpike....or....... I-75 to I-10 to I-95 and straight down the coast?

Thanks everybody!!!!

I don't believe the Mapquest time at all. We use to live near Atlanta and now live in SE Georgia near I95. I can say from Atlanta to Brunswick via 75/16/95 is 5-6 hours depending where in the Atlanta basin you are and that is with no stopping. From Brunswick to Miami it's 7 to 7 1/2 hours straight and not accounting for any traffic or stops.

When we lived in the Atlanta basin one time we drove to Miami via I 75 (75/10/95) and it as about the same hours as going 75/16/95.

Most of our driving speeds are about 7-9 mph above the speed limit. It just depends what scenic route you want to take.

I don't believe the Mapquest time at all. We use to live near Atlanta and now live in SE Georgia near I95. I can say from Atlanta to Brunswick via 75/16/95 is 5-6 hours depending where in the Atlanta basin you are and that is with no stopping. From Brunswick to Miami it's 7 to 7 1/2 hours straight and not accounting for any traffic or stops.

When we lived in the Atlanta basin one time we drove to Miami via I 75 (75/10/95) and it as about the same hours as going 75/16/95.

Most of our driving speeds are about 7-9 mph above the speed limit. It just depends what scenic route you want to take.

We travel I-75 quite a bit and from where we live we can get to the Florida state line in about 3 1/2 hrs and all the way to Orlando in about 6 - 6 1/2hrs. This is driving about 9mph over the speed limit and stopping a couple of times for bathroom breaks.

If I can figure out how long the driving time will be from Orlando, then I'll have a good idea of how long it will take us......

Thanks

In November we will be driving to Ft Lauderdale from Atlanta. (coming in the day before our cruise). We HATE to fly and we very much enjoy our driving time together.....even after 39 yrs together :D

Can anyone give me an idea about how long this might take? Also is it quicker to go I-75 through Orlando/Florida Turnpike....or....... I-75 to I-10 to I-95 and straight down the coast?

Thanks everybody!!!!

I-75 (Alligator Alley), the E/W stretch between Naples & Ft Lauderdale, has been closed quite a bit recently due to the wildfires in western Collier County...it's open again as far as I know but if you decide to go the I-75-all-the-way route, make sure to monitor the road conditions before heading out. Personally I'd go with the Turnpike from Ocala all the way down, it's worth the money and is a more direct route. Take I-95 only if you've no other option.

I-75 (Alligator Alley), the E/W stretch between Naples & Ft Lauderdale, has been closed quite a bit recently due to the wildfires in western Collier County...it's open again as far as I know but if you decide to go the I-75-all-the-way route, make sure to monitor the road conditions before heading out. Personally I'd go with the Turnpike from Ocala all the way down, it's worth the money and is a more direct route. Take I-95 only if you've no other option.

Thanks Alan......I'm going to take your advice!!

We come from Illinois . We take the turnpike just south of Ocala!

if only we could avoid Atlanta traffic..lol

Our goal is always to get to Valdosta the first day...sometimes we make it...sometimes we dont!

We come from Illinois . We take the turnpike just south of Ocala!

if only we could avoid Atlanta traffic..lol

Our goal is always to get to Valdosta the first day...sometimes we make it...sometimes we dont!

Thankfully we live on the east side of Atlanta so we don't have to go through that traffic at all, we take back roads from our house and hit I-75 around Macon.

I feel your pain about the traffic......it is AWFUL!!!!

If I can figure out how long the driving time will be from Orlando, then I'll have a good idea of how long it will take us......

On the turnpike, it's 200 miles and ~3 hours from the I-4 exit in Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. We make that drive pretty frequently. It's usually fast and open till you hit West Palm Beach, then a little slower with more traffic and tolls for the last 40-50 miles.

On the turnpike, it's 200 miles and ~3 hours from the I-4 exit in Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. We make that drive pretty frequently. It's usually fast and open till you hit West Palm Beach, then a little slower with more traffic and tolls for the last 40-50 miles.

Agreed take the turnpike! You will be happy you did!!

We just did the drive from ATL-FLL last month (end of March) to pick up the NOS. We took the turnpike down which was a piece of cake, a bit of road construction between Boca and FLL. We made the mistake of taking the MIR (Miami International Raceway...aka I-95) back to Fort Pierce. Traffic was horrible (we hit it about 8:30 am on a weekday) alot of road construction from just south of Boca almost to PBI. We probably should have went the turnpike back but wanted a change of scenery.

BTW, your going to hit construction on 75 south of Cordele I believe.

Not a bad drive but 10 1/2 hours got to us. We're doing the Ruby in November, found $147.00 r/t on Delta including taxes so were flying..Rather sit in a plane for 2 hours this trip.

Be safe...

Archived