Can I ask you guys to cast your opinion?

Sorry it is about the swine flu.

That said, obviously nobody knows what's going to happen with this in the coming weeks, but from what you have read or heard, when do you think Carnival will return to the Mexican ports? I'm just curious what the opinion is out there. I'm supposed to sail the Splendor May 24th. It seems today I've read that the flu is starting to taper....although today they did close all the schools close to where I live, so I just don't know!!

If I had to guess, I think May 24th would be fine. Just a guess though.

That said, obviously nobody knows what's going to happen with this in the coming weeks, but from what you have read or heard, when do you think Carnival will return to the Mexican ports? I'm just curious what the opinion is out there. I'm supposed to sail the Splendor May 24th. It seems today I've read that the flu is starting to taper....although today they did close all the schools close to where I live, so I just don't know!!

With all due respect, not even the CDC, WHO or Homeland Security could possibly know the answer to your question at this point.

As you said, every answer will be a guess.

Obviously, Carnival, as well as all travel to Mexico will return in due time....

With all due respect, not even the CDC, WHO or Homeland Security could possibly know the answer to your question at this point.

As you said, every answer will be a guess.

Obviously, Carnival, as well as all travel to Mexico will return in due time....

Yep, thank you. I realize this...I think I stated that in my original post. I was just looking for OPINIONS.

I'm giving even money at June 15th. It will probably be safe to go back much sooner, but public perception will probably keep them away for at least a few weeks.

And when they do open it back up, expect deep discounts on anything stopping in Mexico. I'm saving my pennies to maybe book an extra August cruise for the family. Maybe something on the Fantasy.

May 24th seems pretty soon to me, might not be back to Mexico that fast. I dont know how fast they can switch gears. RCL announced thru June they are not going back from what Iv read.

Oh wow, I didn't know that about RCCL.

Well hopefully they are able to get this contained soon, even if the cruise lines don't return right away. Thanks for the info. :)

They will have a vacination for this strain out and readily available in about a month or so. That is all the "panic" is about. There is not a vacination for this strain so they dont want millions of people catching it and not that many doses of tamiflu and the other anitbiotic to go around. Once people start getting the vacination for this strain all we be back to normal.

They will have a vacination for this strain out and readily available in about a month or so. That is all the "panic" is about. There is not a vacination for this strain so they dont want millions of people catching it and not that many doses of tamiflu and the other anitbiotic to go around. Once people start getting the vacination for this strain all we be back to normal.

Funny, this morning while I was listening to the news they said it would be available in a month or two but said it wouldn't be available (for use) until fall...at the earliest.

shellster1 - Like others have said, no one really knows. I can tell you that our cruise was scheduled to port in Cozumel on 5/23 and according to the "Port of Key West" schedule, we will now being stopping there instead. But then again, this info didn't come directly through CCL either, so who knows for sure!

Sue

Funny, this morning while I was listening to the news they said it would be available in a month or two but said it wouldn't be available (for use) until fall...at the earliest.
It will be available for testing in a month or two.

Since we are guessing,

Your cruise will turn into a cruise to no where.

Steve:D

Sorry to hijack -

So, even though Carnival has not announced anything itenerary changes later than May 7, some people are finding out that they are scheduled to be in Key West through the month of May. That being said, if things slow down with this swine flu could or would Carnival re-do the plans that they have already changed to and convert back to the original sailing plans for the month of May?

Just curious because I am due to sail on Fantasy June 4th, for a 4 night cruise to Cozumel. I have "heard" that all 4 night cruises for the month of May are cancelled and that the 5 nights have been bumped up to a 7 night cruise. And because June 4th isn't that far from the month of May, I'm worried that my four nighter would be cancelled too!

Also, does anyone know if those 4 night sailings that are announced as Cancelled (Fantasy & Ectasy) what were those people offered? I would like to just receive my money back and not a credit for a future cruise. This was a celebration for 5 ladies celebrating our 40th birthday and we all have small children. This took us 9 months to coordinate and we will probably never have the opportunity to all get together again. So a future cruise credit would not be in my favor.

Thanks for any input you can offer here. It's such a sad situation, I know some people are coming out better with Carnival's changes, but I know some are not faring so well.

Happy & Healthy Sailing to those who do get to sail!

Someone from my roll call called Carnival about our May 16th cruise...they were told that they were working on our itinerary change...ours is only one week before your cruise. I feel bad for people whom dont know about Cruise Critic or dont do a lot of research on their trips...I bet there are a LOT of people out there who wont know of changes until they get on the ship! At least we still have a couple of weeks for them to make changes and notify us so that we can still plan somewhat ahead...

I read on a thread yesterday that Carnival said they will have the May itinerary changes published on Monday.

My opinion is they will maintain the current alternate itineraries through the month of May and re-evalutate in 3 - 4 weeks for what to do in June.

With the slow down of new illnesses being identified, we might get lucky and be back to normal sooner than everyone thought.

So far CCL has posted several changes to sailings as far out as 5/11/09. Just have to check everyday to see if your cruise has any changes. We sail on 6/7 in the Valor and we are just waiting to see if our cruise is affected. If they change Cozumel to Key West, I would not be too sad. I can visit my sister in Key West.:)

Thanks everyone for your input. It's appreciated. I guess I need to figure out an alternate vacation....I just hope that they offer to rebook us, too. In my opinion, CCL has been very nice to allow people to rebook (so far). The itinerary is a huge part of the cruise for me and I was looking forward to a different culture.:)

Thanks everyone for your input. It's appreciated. I guess I need to figure out an alternate vacation....I just hope that they offer to rebook us, too. In my opinion, CCL has been very nice to allow people to rebook (so far). The itinerary is a huge part of the cruise for me and I was looking forward to a different culture.:)

This is what I would do.......Plan B. I would check to see if you can have your vacation time changed just in case. It seems Carnival is giving the option to reschedule but not enough time to do so IMO. So I would start this asap........and then once they give you that option you will be ready...

We were due to sail on the Mariner this Sun and we were able to reschedule to a later time in the summer. It actually worked out for the better for us......

Good luck!

I read on a thread yesterday that Carnival said they will have the May itinerary changes published on Monday.

My opinion is they will maintain the current alternate itineraries through the month of May and re-evalutate in 3 - 4 weeks for what to do in June.

With the slow down of new illnesses being identified, we might get lucky and be back to normal sooner than everyone thought.

I hope so! Although I understand the cruise lines position, I am ready to see this end. We are leaving on the Valor May 31 and I have pretty much written Cozumel off but would love to be surprised.

I'm not an expert, so this is just my opinion.

But historically these outbreaks have taken 1 to 2 years to run their course. The last one was the "Hong Kong Flu" in 1968. It spread in several waves around the globe, seeming to be under control and then making a come back when it would pop up somewhere else. And they did have a Vaccines too, which only helps in the industrialized countries.

In the end about 15% of the general population in the US still caught it over a 2 year period.

So... I doubt the issue will be completely over by June.

I surely don't know when they will return to Mexican ports, but I hope it's soon! Not only for the cruisers, but mostly for the people who make a living from tourism. Think about how many people it affects.....from taxi drivers to store & restaurant employees to park employees to tour guides and excursion operators. This is sure to have a major impact on all of them! :(

Archived