May 10th splendor cruise...cancellation and new itinerary

I live in SoCal and was able to book an 8S (spa balcony) for $299 each for me and DH and $159 for my DS. These prices are unbelievable. It's going to be a great trip. Victoria is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited and Vancouver also has a lot to offer. We can go to Mexico anytime.

Now Im getting it. Because Celebrity (who is owned by RCL not by Carnival) gave you ALL your money back AND a free cruise, that's what you are holding out for. Carnival aint going to do it. You can apply what you paid to another cruise or go on this one, your choice. sorry, but those are the choices.

From what I am getting from the op is that this is the only time they can take vacation and they don't know if and when they can do this again.......

Yes, I can't say that Carnival's offer is "very generous" compared to what those on the Mariner of the Seas are getting. I was ready to turn lemons into lemonade when I was expecting SF, Seattle, and Victoria, but 2 ports in Canada just isn't appealing to me for the prices that was paid for this cruise, especially when you see how low the prices are now.

Unfortunately we used rewards points for flights, and have an unrefundable hotel booked. Not sure what we're going to do at this point but we are very, very disappointed.

I'm really sorry to hear about your non-refundable air travel and hotel stays. Did you book your hotel online? I work at a hotel, and many times guests who book online either don't realize that they cannot cancel their pre-paid reservation (as per the booking company's policies- not ours), or they knew in advance, but for whatever reason (like Swine flu!) need to cancel.

In some circumstances, guests are able to negotiate with the company, (who simply has to call us to confirm and okay a cancellation) and get their money back. I know a lot of times, it's just a matter of calling whoever you booked your room with (Travelocity, your TA, Orbitz, whoever), and many times the room can be cancelled without penalty. Usually, that company just has to call the hotel directly, confirm that it's not going to kill us if they cancel your room (which it won't), and it's fine. A lot of guests call me after they call the company they booked with to thank the hotel for working with the outside company, and that makes everybody happy. The outside company knows you'll book confidently with them, the hotel knows you appreciate their flexibility, and you're happy because you're no longer stuck paying for a reservation you don't need.

Maybe you could try to call the company you booked with and at least get your money back for that night? Or try to negotiate a deal with them- not canceling altogether, but just moving the reservation to a hotel in another city? Booking companies and hotels don't want to make your life miserable- more people tell their friends about bad service than they do good service...

To the OP I fully understand that there is absolutely no way this situation can be resolved to a point that will make you happy, but would you please explain what would make it right in your mind or make you fully or semi whole.

How are you finding these rates. I show $100 higher on all of them...thanks!

Misty,

I went to Carnival.com, clicked on find cruise, then didn't make any selections on that page. Just clicked find all cruises, then you get a more detailed search criteria on the left side of the screen. I chose past guest and CA resident, as I live in Sacramento, then it brought up the cruises. I know it says "from $399" but that is deceiving. Click on the May 10 sailing date, and you'll see the resident rate is only $199 for an inside cabin. The "from $399" is for first-time Carnival guests that are NOT CA residents.

Hope that helps,

Why is everyone here in such a bad mood?

I mean if you do not want to respond, then don't, why respond with rude, negative statements? (Yes, I know this is what I'm doing, but seriously?)

OP.....

I think it is a great deal, that being said, I really do not care where I go on my cruise, seriously, I could rent a hotel room for 4 nights and just chill with my husband without the kids and be on cloud 9, for an extra 100 dollars, I kind of hope this Swine Flu lasts until I sail in September, I have no problem just staying in my room with hubby, or sitting by the pool, drinking daiquiri's.

I want to edit this because it is CHEAPER for us to go on a 4 night cruise then get a hotel room for 4 nights, when you add in food and all that stuff!

I believe your travel will be what you make of it, if you are going to be grouchy and set foot on the ship in a bad mood, that is probably how your vacation will end up.

I have no problem just staying in my room with hubby, or sitting by the pool, drinking daiquiri's.

Well, to be fair, on this particular cruise, I doubt many people are going to be sitting by the pool without a turtleneck sweater. LOL

Well, to be fair, on this particular cruise, I doubt many people are going to be sitting by the pool without a turtleneck sweater. LOL

LOL that would be fine too!

I'm sure they have other things to do.

Seriously you could put me in a closet right now with my husband and come back in a week, I'd be happy. We need this time, and there is NOTHING that is going to make me think negative of it, I wish others could feel the same way. I guess since I can not go on a cruise every other week, I might appreciate it more

I am sooooo working on DH to agree to take this cruise!!! At the deals they are offering, it is such a STEAL!!!

Everyone please wish me luck in convincing him!!!:D:D:D

Good luck workin your husband, hopefully it will work. I already tried working mine, but he has a work deadline of the 8th, and if they don't meet it, he won't be able to sail on the 10th. He said if they change the May 24th sailing, I can book without talking to him first, if the deals are the same as they are now, otherwise, i'll have to wait for the booking we already have in September.

Good luck workin your husband, hopefully it will work. I already tried working mine, but he has a work deadline of the 8th, and if they don't meet it, he won't be able to sail on the 10th. He said if they change the May 24th sailing, I can book without talking to him first, if the deals are the same as they are now, otherwise, i'll have to wait for the booking we already have in September.

Thanks! I was able to find the rates, and I called my PVP who said I could even combine my welcome back discount. Droool drooooollll:p!!! But, alas, my son has a big project due in school on 5/15 :(. So I can't take him out of school for that. Bummer! If it's still going on for the next coming weeks, I really hope we can do it.

Get this...the 4 day Paradise is only (drumroll please) $129pp!!!

I'd go in a heartbeat if I could get someone to go with me!!

I'd like to see where this is a written policy.

Sure from the Carnival website:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly -- upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer guests an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a guest does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the guest at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to guests when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

Carnival is banking on people not knowing this policy. Which is funny b/c it has its own page on the website linked from the home page. Carnival legally has to refund money if it is requested. I have not heard anyone who fought Carnival on the issue but you can. The other option is to invoke the guarantee at your first opportunity. At least you would get some money backa and a flight home.

The Carnival policy says they can cancel their cruise without penalty....it does not say REFUND, and to be fair it also does not say AND RESCHEDULE. But nothing promises a full refund.

Carnival's offer of a full cruise credit towards any cruise, to me, meets the "without penalty" clause.

Why is everyone here in such a bad mood?

My car needed a $800 repair Tuesday.

I have lost over $1000 on a trip to Mexico that I am not going to recover.

My wife's place of work caught fire today and I really am not sure that she is going to be working next week.

I am about 7 beers short of getting a real good rip snorting pizz up on.

That is why I am in a bad mood.

Glad you asked?

If the OP didn't want everyone's opinion - good, bad, nasty, backrubbing everything will be fine, whatever - she / he should not have asked.

Back to my beer now, glad you asked.

My wife's place of work caught fire today and I really am not sure that she is going to be working next week.

Glad you asked?

If the OP didn't want everyone's opinion - good, bad, nasty, backrubbing everything will be fine, whatever - she / he should not have asked.

Oh my:o I think I need a beer now.........

Glad you asked?

DANG!!!

Thanks for putting my little problems into perspective.

I'll break open a bottle and have toast to you.

Hope things get better.

Glad you asked?

Welcome to the wonderful world of life, it aint all roses and butterfly's, have you not figured that out by now, that does not give anyone the right to be rude and nasty.

Thanks! I was able to find the rates, and I called my PVP who said I could even combine my welcome back discount. Droool drooooollll:p!!! But, alas, my son has a big project due in school on 5/15 :(. So I can't take him out of school for that. Bummer! If it's still going on for the next coming weeks, I really hope we can do it.

Get this...the 4 day Paradise is only (drumroll please) $129pp!!!

I'd go in a heartbeat if I could get someone to go with me!!

:D I'll go with you :D

Huh? What's that?

Sorry, my wife just said No :o

The Carnival policy says they can cancel their cruise without penalty....it does not say REFUND, and to be fair it also does not say AND RESCHEDULE. But nothing promises a full refund.

Carnival's offer of a full cruise credit towards any cruise, to me, meets the "without penalty" clause.

That is not true...my husband is an attorney and he said that Carnival might try to say they did not have adequate notice but cancel without penalty would mean you get your money back in full.

Still don't believe me: here is a real life case: http://www.miamiherald.com/408/story/720805-p2.html

Unlike many other people who canceled their Ecstasy cruise at the last minute, Shanna Sutton of Texas City, Texas, got her money back.

Her secret? When she phoned Carnival on departure day, the agent told her the ship would miss its scheduled call on Cozumel, Mexico, and instead call on Veracruz, Mexico. Sutton asked for a refund and got it: $782.96 total for herself and a friend.

Carnival's brochure says customers may cancel without penalty if a ship's itinerary is changed before departure. You must cancel within 24 hours after being notified of the change.

Carnival decided to make Ecstasy's port switch the morning of departure, De la Cruz said. It notified passengers about the change as they were boarding, without reminding them that they could cancel without penalty, she said.

By the time the Hills and the Norses said they figured that out, it was too late.

Lesson 2: Read the cruise brochure.

This case takes away all the arguments:

1. Inadequate notice: she cancelled with a full refund the day of the cruise so now Carnival has plenty of notice

2. Situation beyond their control: (this was b/c of a hurricane) the weather was a situation beyond their control just like the swine flu

Carnival policy is you are entitled to a refund - they aren't going to tell you b/c they want your money

Here's another article supporting the policy:

http://www.newsday.com/la-tr-cruise4dec04,0,5799175,full.column

Carnival Cruise Lines is more lenient. When it advises guests or agents of an itinerary change, passengers have 24 hours to cancel without penalty. When changes are made at the last minute, as in the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma in Mexico, Carnival has allowed passengers to cancel without penalty up to embarkation.

Holy schnikeys! If you search the big travel website that starts with a "T", they are offering ALL BALCONIES for a solo cruiser for $439 for this cruise. That's less than a 50% supplement over an already ridiculously low rate for a balcony. I'm used to paying more than that per person for double occupancy for a seven-day cruise.

e.t.a. It's $239 for a solo in an inside cabin.

Archived