May 10th splendor cruise...cancellation and new itinerary

Apparently you are one who needs attention.......you now have 3 pages of attention, 15 minutes of fame. For someone who must go to Sunday Services to deal with cruise abandoment needs more than just one Sunday of Services. If you feel you need to pray for your vacation money to be returned to you .......try praying about others who have never had the opportunity to cruise, think about what our service men are induring each day.... do you think they even think of cruising, they pray for their safety and their lives. Pray and be thankful that you are retired, living in sunny San Diego and have the financial ability to pay for cruises and have reached the age that you are in good physical health even to be able to cruise...........Peace Out!

I like your countdown clocks...unique!

Cathy

I think OP has a weird sense of humor.. and you all fell for it again.... and again... and again

Cathy

Either that....or aging, aging, aging....is code for Alzheimers. Maybe they don't realize it!!

Btw folks, the definition of stupidity is doing the exact same thing and expecting different results. Not calling anyone stupid...just saying that is the definition....LOL

Either that....or aging, aging, aging....is code for Alzheimers. Maybe they don't realize it!!

Btw folks, the definition of stupidity is doing the exact same thing and expecting different results. Not calling anyone stupid...just saying that is the definition....LOL

LOL I can here the OP giggling as I type

Cathy

Okay, as long as you have opened the door to hijacking this thread (which looked like it *needed* to be hijacked!), can we talk about my mispronuciation/misspelling pet peeve?

It is a "froufrou" drink, not a "foofoo" drink.

I try really hard not to correct people, but on this forum it comes up a lot, and I figure if I say it on this thread, I'll not insult people who have used it in *their* threads. :-)

Frou Frou??

I think not. :p

It's foo-foo, meaning 'frilly' or feminine because of the little umbrella.

Just like a poodle is a foo-foo dog. :p :D

Does that mean I have to stop whining about not getting back to Cozumel on my cruise next week, with it's free-flowing world-class Margaritas? I mean those Cozumel Margaritas are definitely "to whine for!"

sigh...ok ok.....

It does suck to miss Cozumel. It sucks to miss ports in general (but ESPECIALLY Cozumel ;)) But being disappointed is one thing...some of the threads on these boards are just a bit too extreme if you ask me..

whine, complain, rant and rave.....

While I agree that this flu is being over dramatized, I sincerely wish people could just accept what can't be changed or check out their options to cancel instead of acting like bratty children taking temper tantrums.

More so than having my cruise ports cancelled, is the fear I have of being on a ship where the ports get cancelled and having to deal with a bunch of *itchy people. THAT would definitely ruin a cruise for me.

It does suck to miss Cozumel. It sucks to miss ports in general (but ESPECIALLY Cozumel ;)) But being disappointed is one thing...some of the threads on these boards are just a bit too extreme if you ask me..

whine, complain, rant and rave.....

While I agree that this flu is being over dramatized, I sincerely wish people could just accept what can't be changed or check out their options to cancel instead of acting like bratty children taking temper tantrums.

More so than having my cruise ports cancelled, is the fear I have of being on a ship where the ports get cancelled and having to deal with a bunch of *itchy people. THAT would definitely ruin a cruise for me.

How about *itchy and whiny Toni? Can you imagine being on a cruise where a lot of the pax do that?

Actually that is Einstein's definition of Insanity:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Ah, I did Halos, sorry. I do not think Toni is *itchy and whiny as she has not even left on her cruise yet.
That's good. I thought maybe you were insinuating that she was menopausal or something :p

These complaints against the complainers, lol, remind me of my retail days. I managed a gift shop for 10 years, and you would not BELIEVE some of the things people would complain about, expect as entitlement, etc. As the retail person, I would get soooo irritated when customers would complain and try to get free stuff...

BUT, as a customer, I often found myself expecting the same things, or complaining about the same things when I was in other stores, restaurants, etc. I never got ugly, though.

The point is, it's all perspective. The way you feel about a situation depends on which side of the counter you are on.

And in my experience, I have had companies give me something as compensation when I neither asked nor expected it, and other times I have had companies not even recognize they should offer SOME kind of compensation as good will...

Such as the time a waitress accidentally dumped a large glass of iced tea in my lap - and this was a LARGE glass of iced tea, Texas sized - at the beginning of the meal and I had to sit with wet jeans for the entire meal - and I got BUPKIS! She apologized profusely and brought me a new glass of tea, of course. BUT, I was thinking in my head that the management should have offered to comp my meal at the very least.

She was lucky I was not a jerk and didn't raise cain about it. But, I am just not that way. However, I did still think I was due some kind of compensation. I think that's natural, when you are a paying customer. Money changes the dynamics of everything...

Such as the time a waitress accidentally dumped a large glass of iced tea in my lap - and this was a LARGE glass of iced tea, Texas sized - at the beginning of the meal and I had to sit with wet jeans for the entire meal - and I got BUPKIS! She apologized profusely and brought me a new glass of tea, of course. BUT, I was thinking in my head that the management should have offered to comp my meal at the very least.

She was lucky I was not a jerk and didn't raise cain about it. But, I am just not that way. However, I did still think I was due some kind of compensation. I think that's natural, when you are a paying customer. Money changes the dynamics of everything...

Not for some of us. It would never occur to me to want compensation for something like that.

I used to wait tables and the most that would normally get a patron is the offer to pay the dry cleaning bill, not a free meal. Do people understand, accidents happen? So many people think everything is someone's fault. Most things that happen are not done TO someone deliberately, things happen. Life happens and no one deserves compensation for something like that. I guess it's the way I was raised, but I never expect to be given "compensation" for things that happen in life. We've missed a port due to strikes (Roatan) and Carnival gave us $20 per person for it. Okay, so we had another sea day, no biggie. Never once did I consider throwing a hissy fit and demanding ANYTHING for it. Out of Carnival's control and I wish people would realize that eventually this will come back to bite everyone in the butt. Why, exactly do you think Carnival has the contracts they have? To protect themselves from those that whine and demand their way through life and expect compensation beyond what really "makes up" for the "wrong" that they perceive was done.

I do think the OP is getting a kick out this. He avoids actually answering most questions and just keeps ranting on the age thing. Whatever. If they want to vacation more, get a job. Lots of people, in fact most I know work til closer to 70 at least.

Not for some of us. It would never occur to me to want compensation for something like that.

But, it should occur to the restaurant to offer it. Or a free dessert, or a coupon for a discount on a future meal, etc. Like I mentioned, it would have gone a long way in keeping me as a customer. Instead, I am thinking about it years later - and I haven't been back.

Also, our perspectives are different when it happens to ourselves, and when it happens to someone else. Had you been the one to have 30 oz of iced tea dumped in your lap, you might have expected something. ;) At the very least, I expected the manager to come over and ask me if all was well - I didn't even get that!

But, that was a long time ago; I was only offering it as an example. :)

I used to wait tables and the most that would normally get a patron is the offer to pay the dry cleaning bill, not a free meal. Do people understand, accidents happen? So many people think everything is someone's fault. Most things that happen are not done TO someone deliberately, things happen. Life happens and no one deserves compensation for something like that. I guess it's the way I was raised, but I never expect to be given "compensation" for things that happen in life.

Sigh. I explained in the beginning of my post how I used to work in retail, and I would get annoyed at customers for expecting things. But, then I would see their perspective when I was in their shoes. All I was trying to do was give an example of perspective. I also clearly said I didn't demand anything or even make a big deal of it, because I'm just not that way.

I too was raised well. :rolleyes:

As you mentioned the most that would be offered to a patron was to have their dry cleaning paid for. But, I was not offered that, either. And I would not have accepted it had it been offered, because a) it was only jeans, and b) it was only tea.

My point was, harking back to the original point of this thread, is that when a company offers incentives to customers after a mishap, they are usually very appreciative and have nothing but kind words for the company.

Oh, and I worked as a cocktail waitress in college, so I too know how hard that kind of work is. A drunk bumped into me one time, causing me to splash a drink on another customer's arm, and I took him a free drink - out of my own tips - as compensation. It's just the way I was raised.

But, it should occur to the restaurant to offer it. Or a free dessert, or a coupon for a discount on a future meal, etc.

See, I can't tell you how much I disagree with that.

It bothers me how much we have come to believe that we are entitled to have compensation for every little accident or inconvienence. I really do think it contributes to the "ugly American" image that is spread across the rest of the world -- and I think it is entirely warranted, in many cases! It is as though we expect others to be perfect... no waitress is every to spill anything, all cooks are to do things exactly to our expectations, the ship is to sail on time... and when real life, with real, human people and real, human frailties (such as getting viruses) and imperfections cause us to be uncomfortable or unhappy in any way "By god! I didn't pay for *this*! I should be compensated!!!"

Honestly, when I hear this, I want to drag people out of their cozy little houses, and their nice cruises, and make 'em live for a few weeks in Haiti or China, or most other places in the world, and maybe folks would be *grateful* for the opportunities that they have... to eat in restaurants (even if people spill something on them occasionally) or to travel (even if it means they can't go exactly where they want, when they want).

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. You are missing my point entirely, but that's okay.

FTR, I have cringed many times over the way we American's behave sometimes, so I see your point there. I have stated the same argument many times, myself. But, that was not what my original point was about. Apparently I am either not explaining it well, or you choose to not see it. But, I don't like confrontation, so I choose to move on. It's all good. :)

• Administrators
Okay, as long as you have opened the door to hijacking this thread (which looked like it *needed* to be hijacked!), can we talk about my mispronuciation/misspelling pet peeve?

It is a "froufrou" drink, not a "foofoo" drink.

I try really hard not to correct people, but on this forum it comes up a lot, and I figure if I say it on this thread, I'll not insult people who have used it in *their* threads. :-)

Don't know where you came up with that. :) It's a foo foo drink, for sure. :)

UPDATE: WHY WE DON'T FEEL LOVED...I luv you Carnival!

First, let me say that I owe my new found perspective to my psychiatrist, Dr. Holland America. I can now truly feel love for all of you, even those that disagreed with my original post.

This afternoon's session was life changing. I arrived early for my therapy appointment (i.e to deal with my cruise abandonment issues) and found the waiting room full. I cannot reveal any names but there was one person with a big red hat, and a botox grin on his face, initials F.F.

That immediately told me this was more serious than I thought. But after my 50 minute session and the intake of a new medication, I am completely at rest with my soul. For those interested, the new medication is called 'CCLBGONE'; Dr. HAL told me to take 10mgs before reading Cruise Critic or Carnival Connections. People, it works. I am so happy I could skip!

I was even able to read the latest Splendor review and still smile....

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54411

I hope someone out there can tell SEAU2 to contact me so I can give them Dr. HAL's phone number.

Well, enough for now, I feel so good I am going to watch a couple of old episodes of "The Love Boat"...Ain't life great!

Love You All and Happy Sailing :>))

Archived