May 10th splendor cruise...cancellation and new itinerary

Holy schnikeys! If you search the big travel website that starts with a "T", they are offering ALL BALCONIES for a solo cruiser for $439 for this cruise. That's less than a 50% supplement over an already ridiculously low rate for a balcony. I'm used to paying more than that per person for double occupancy for a seven-day cruise.

The Mariner is the same way.......cancellations.......

Welcome to the wonderful world of life, it aint all roses and butterfly's, have you not figured that out by now, that does not give anyone the right to be rude and nasty.

Well the OP needs to learn also its not all roses and butterfly's. People everyday are dealing with worse problems than this and trying to see how much can they get.

The Mariner is the same way.......cancellations.......

Not really. The Mariner is $709 for a solo balcony (as opposed to $439 on Splendor) for the same week. That's about 60% higher on RCCL. The Mariner is $522 for a solo balcony (as opposed to $239 on Splendor). That's MORE THAN DOUBLE.

Not really. The Mariner is $709 for a solo balcony (as opposed to $439 on Splendor) for the same week. That's about 60% higher on RCCL. The Mariner is $522 for a solo balcony (as opposed to $239 on Splendor). That's MORE THAN DOUBLE.

It just depends on what date and how fast they last evidently.........

People are cancelling left and right......but they are all cheap.........

If Carnival is asking $239 solo balcony.......that is sad.....good for whoever wants to go but it looks like they are having a tough time selling these cabins........

The Carnival policy says they can cancel their cruise without penalty....it does not say REFUND, and to be fair it also does not say AND RESCHEDULE. But nothing promises a full refund.

Carnival's offer of a full cruise credit towards any cruise, to me, meets the "without penalty" clause.

Thank you Cape for a wonderfully worded post with references.

To hawaiikat, if you cancelled your service with a cable company, and had credit with them, would you be expecting your extra money back, or a voucher good for 1 1/2 years which assumes you would want to go back to the cable company. Personally, if I hear the word canel without penalty, and most time with a cruise line penalty means loss of some amount of money(deposit, 50% of cruise cost), I would be expecting all my money back. I'm in 100% agreement with Cape on this one.

Just a curosity ? here. If you cancel your cruise, and say take a voucher instead of a refund. Then rebook the same cruise for the steep discounts now being offered. At the end of your cruise if you have money left over from the voucher would they issue a check for the difference???

I did some real crude number crunching with lots of assumption except for the numer of cruises with changed itineraries.

23 cruises effected not sailed * say 200 people want a refund per Carnivals own policy * say average cost of $500 per person = 2,300,000. If this number is even somewhere close, of course they would try to steer ppl away from a refund and offer vouchers?????

23*200*500=2,300,000

It just depends on what date and how fast they last evidently.........

People are cancelling left and right......but they are all cheap.........

If Carnival is asking $239 solo balcony.......that is sad.....good for whoever wants to go but it looks like they are having a tough time selling these cabins........

I counted the available rooms and suites on the Splendor 5/10. I counted 92 showing, that's not counting the ones that had more than 10 in a category. I think there were 2 categories that showed 10 rooms, so there is potentially 100 empty rooms on that sailing. I ache to be on it! [sigh]

Just a curosity ? here. If you cancel your cruise, and say take a voucher instead of a refund. Then rebook the same cruise for the steep discounts now being offered. At the end of your cruise if you have money left over from the voucher would they issue a check for the difference???

It has already been posted they won't let you cancel and rebook the same cruise.....

But I have to ask.....if you cancel and get a refund credit towards another cruise........do they also give you obc? Anyone know?

I don't understand why anyone cares what someone else paid for their cruise.

There is probably someone on every cruise that booked a "pack and go" rate when a ship does not fill up.

We did it on the Splendor (2 day in November) and paid HALF of what other people had paid.

It is the benefit of being flexible and knowing that you might not get to cruise if the ship is full.

Folks were obviously ok with the cruise rate when they booked it....or they would not have booked it.

When we cruised out of Galveston last year, folks were getting on for $99 a person (when Gustav reared its ugly head). I did not care what they paid. I was happy they were able to get a deal.

If you want to cruise for less, then wait to the last minute, being flexible enough to drop everything and jump on a ship, and take a chance of not getting to cruise because the ship is full.

But you can't have your "guarantees with the cabin you selected" AND the great last minute deals.

Hate to beat a dead horse...but everyone who cruises knows that ports can change. Now IF these changes had been because of mechanical failure or something that CARNIVAL did wrong.....you would have a case.

It is not...it is an act of God. Hit Him up for compensation.

It has already been posted they won't let you cancel and rebook the same cruise.....

But I have to ask.....if you cancel and get a refund credit towards another cruise........do they also give you obc? Anyone know?

I would guess that you only get the obc if you stay on the cruise. So if you book a different cruise with your voucher that was effected and has deep discounts would that fall under booking the same cruise???

Just trying to work the system here :):D:p

I BOOKED a cruise to hawaii aboard Celebrity Infinity...the ship had propeller problems the day before we were due to leave and the cruise was cancelled...

Celebrity issued us full refund and a free cruise!

Can you understand why we are upset...we live in san diego.... only cruise to mexico and hawaii on occasion...we will not be able to cruise to Mexico until????...meanwhile, money tied up...

So don't sniggle and be snide at my upset...We are very experienced cruisers and find ourselves in a very tough situation...like Carnival...and more importantly like Mexico...

As said by others, two threads on the exact same complaint is enough.

We understand you want a refund.

Regardless of our feelings, this issue is between you and Carnival. Our opinions are not going to make any difference unless you are looking just for a pat on the back.

I hope this gets worked out to your satisfaction...

Folks were obviously ok with the cruise rate when they booked it....or they would not have booked it.

Well of course they were.......but they paid for the Mexican Riviera not the Pacific Northwest.......

The cruise this week....understandable.....no choice.......

But the cruises in the coming weeks.........totally different........

May 1, 2009

Dear Carnival Guest:

We will cancel and replace the scheduled Mexican Riviera itinerary with visits to Victoria and

Vancouver on the Carnival Splendor May 10, 2009 departure. Guests that sail on this cruise

will receive a $100 per person onboard credit.

We know you will enjoy your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Splendor. However, if this

itinerary change is not acceptable to you, we will provide a future cruise credit in the amount

you paid for this cruise and you can sail with us anytime prior to December 31, 2010. In order

to be eligible for the future cruise credit, you must contact Carnival no later than Monday,

May 4, 2009 to advise cancellation of the current cruise. Please understand that refunds will

not be provided.

Most importantly, we are looking forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Splendor.

The Captain, officers, staff and crew are dedicated to providing you with a fun and

memorable vacation.

I know how you are feeling , believe me

I booked with a group at group rates for 2 weeks from now.

I think It stinks personally ...

airfare and hotel is booked

and other people can book at a cheaper price now :eek: and even get a balcony for what I paid for an inside

and then , they offer a measly OBC

It would be great if they allowed us to cancel and rebook at the new prices ...but NO !!:o

I am not loving it at all...

Why do I always miss the good deals ...LOL

:(

I should never plan ahead ...never (but I know I will )

Carolina

PS : for those that mention travel insurance ...seems it does not cover natural disasters or epedemic/panademic

that is in their exclusion page ;) thought I would throw that in

I did purchase air travel insurance and cruise travel insurance .

Someone posted on here that they booked and the cruise was less than they had paid so they gave them an OBC for the rest of the amount.

Well of course they were.......but they paid for the Mexican Riviera not the Pacific Northwest.......

But the cruises in the coming weeks.........totally different........

Again, everyone who cruises knows that ports are not guaranteed. They paid for a "cruise"....they did NOT pay for a guaranteed cruise to Mexico.

Look guys please stop complaining how your cruise will be screwed up.. IT IS NOT CarnivaL'S faULT..

They ARE GIVING YOU options

1- rebook your cruise

2- go on the cruise and recieve $75 OBC..

If I was going on upcoming cruise I D GO...... geeez......... its all about the cruise ship than the ports in someways with me........ :-)

I love San Francisco.. i have been there about 10 times already lol i love it up there......

I counted the available rooms and suites on the Splendor 5/10. I counted 92 showing, that's not counting the ones that had more than 10 in a category. I think there were 2 categories that showed 10 rooms, so there is potentially 100 empty rooms on that sailing. I ache to be on it! [sigh]

canyou give me instructions where to go to coun the rooms on a sailing?

PJ

Again, everyone who cruises knows that ports are not guaranteed. They paid for a "cruise"....they did NOT pay for a guaranteed cruise to Mexico.

Carnival doesn't believe that - if they did they would not have the policy that they will let you cancel without penalty if they change the ports.

Well this is one time the contract means nothing.......the cruiselines are doing the right thing (some better then others) as they should........

But they can't expect to keep these already booked passengers who paid big money and then continue to give away cabins.....they will just cancel......

I BOOKED a cruise to hawaii aboard Celebrity Infinity...the ship had propeller problems the day before we were due to leave and the cruise was cancelled...

Of course it was cancelled the ship was broke.

Celebrity issued us full refund and a free cruise!

Was this before or after Celebrity had to be bailed out by RCI?

Can you understand why we are upset...we live in san diego.... only cruise to mexico and hawaii on occasion...we will not be able to cruise to Mexico until????...meanwhile, money tied up...

Your are missing a perfect opportunity to expand your horizons. Victoria in May is gorgeous.

So don't sniggle and be snide at my upset...We are very experienced cruisers and find ourselves in a very tough situation...like Carnival...and more importantly like Mexico...

Cruising to the same spot a bunch of times doesn't make you an experienced cruiser, it makes you a repeat cruiser.

Look guys please stop complaining how your cruise will be screwed up.. IT IS NOT CarnivaL'S faULT..

They ARE GIVING YOU options

1- rebook your cruise

2- go on the cruise and recieve $75 OBC..

If I was going on upcoming cruise I D GO...... geeez......... its all about the cruise ship than the ports in someways with me........ :-)

I love San Francisco.. i have been there about 10 times already lol i love it up there......

My cruise is not screwed up:)

canyou give me instructions where to go to coun the rooms on a sailing?

PJ

It was tedious. I just kept going to "edit" and looked up each category and counted them one by one...

Why?:D

Well, I figured if there is a lot left, it would give me an idea of whether or not the price would drop more...

Someone posted on here that they booked and the cruise was less than they had paid so they gave them an OBC for the rest of the amount.

No I was asking about this refund credit if you cancel because of the change in itinerary......do they also offer obc to reschedule another cruise with your refund....

If the OP wants, or feels entitled to, a 100% refund of the cruise price…I don’t have a problem with that at all. I keep reading people defending Carnival by saying that it’s not Carnival’s fault. No sane person could possibly say that this is anyway Carnival’s fault, but does this make it acceptable for them to deviate from their own policy.

If you had a flight booked on American Airlines to Cozumel, and American called you and said “through circumstances beyond their control (swine flu) they can not fly you to Cozumel, but instead will send you to Boston” and you can’t get your money back, would that be acceptable. Even if they said they would give you a credit toward a later flight, but you could not take vacation any other time except for the original planned time, would you accept that, even though you will not be able to use a credit at a later time. It’s your money…not Carnival’s. It only becomes Carnival’s money once the service is rendered.

As I am not intimately involved in Carnival’s day to day operation, I would suppose that, like any other large company that deals with forces beyond their control or Act’s of God, They will simply declare a “Force Majeureand recoup any lost revenue through an insurance claim. These are exactly the situation that companies, like this, have insurance for. To protect themselves against forces of nature.

I have been on 5 Carnival cruises in that last 4 years and would not keep coming back if I did not like the value for the product they offer. Just because I like to cruise with them, I would not let them treat me wrong just because I liked them. It’s still a business and it’s still my money (or in the case the OP’s money) that they have.

Archived