Aft JS ? on Liberty

There are many that love aft....myself...it doesn't do a thing...I rather the convenience of mid....it's a hike to aft on Freedom class ship, so keep that in mind. The aft will give a larger balcony...but that also has pros and cons as there are sometimes soot issue and unless you are on deck 10 the above balconies will look down on you....there is also a superstructure issue that somewhat blocks the view a bit.

Have the choice of mid-ship JS or an Aft JS. What are the pros or cons of an Aft JS?

What deck is the aft JS on? The balconies are bigger on the aft, but if it is not a deck 10 JS, the view is very obstructed on that class of ship.

I prefer something closer to the elevators and stairs. The hallways are sooooooo long, and I do alot of going back and forth to the cabin...those hallways get really old after a few trips! There's only 2 of us, so a huge balcony isn't really needed...the side JS's have a more than ample balcony for the 2 of us!

What deck is the aft JS on? The balconies are bigger on the aft, but if it is not a deck 10 JS, the view is very obstructed on that class of ship.

It is on deck 10. We usually get deck 10 and so far like to be higher.

Kathy

It is on deck 10. We usually get deck 10 and so far like to be higher.

Those are nice cabins with huge balconies. Probably your biggest disadvantage is the long walk. Those JS's are adjoining.

Also, because the room is slightly longer and narrower than the other JS's, the closet is not a walk-in.

I agree. Deck ten only for aft cabins. Nothing lower due to the steel structure. Those aft balconies are deep. Lots of space.

Here is one from the Navigator which will be almost identical on the Freedom class ships.

NavigatorOTS088.jpg

NavigatorOTS001.jpg

This was our first aft. We had 1406 on Deck 10. My sisters were on deck 7 in 7714, 7414 and 7412.

When I booked this cruise I wanted a hump cabin and the RCCL agent said the afts were available and he said they go fast so I went and snagged them.

Our cabin on Deck 10 was very big compared to the ones on deck seven. It was longer and seemed wider. The balcony was also longer than the balconies on deck seven.

I will probably not get an aft cabin again, I felt like I was missing what was going on when getting into port. While it was great seeing the back of the ship with the wake I think I really enjoyed the sides of the ship. I was spoiled by the size of the cabin.

You are looking over all of the decks below you and there is the steel infastructure beems that jet out over the back of the ship. It really doesn't bother your view but like I said I just prefer the sides but this cabin was really wonderful!

Here are some pictures

aa.jpg.06428f96d15dd84b902578300ebc8f3f.jpg

ab.jpg.63fba9d5db7ef0736e3a1ae3e12cf560.jpg

ac.jpg.3acd01caec55d0d16fe972b91eaaf6dd.jpg

ad.jpg.b18f3523f517d2e46121287be261ff2c.jpg

ah.jpg.fd479bcdccf308229ec5c74f023f5c9a.jpg

This was our first aft. We had 1406 on Deck 10. My sisters were on deck 7 in 7714, 7414 and 7412.

When I booked this cruise I wanted a hump cabin and the RCCL agent said the afts were available and he said they go fast so I went and snagged them.

Our cabin on Deck 10 was very big compared to the ones on deck seven. It was longer and seemed wider. The balcony was also longer than the balconies on deck seven.

I will probably not get an aft cabin again, I felt like I was missing what was going on when getting into port. While it was great seeing the back of the ship with the wake I think I really enjoyed the sides of the ship. I was spoiled by the size of the cabin.

You are looking over all of the decks below you and there is the steel infastructure beems that jet out over the back of the ship. It really doesn't bother your view but like I said I just prefer the sides but this cabin was really wonderful!

Here are some pictures

Thank you for the pictures. I am leaning toward the middle of the ship. I like to look around when we pull into port. Though looking out the back seems neat too, it may wear off after awhile.

Kathy

I think you are making a very wise choice. Also if you are doing the western cruise I noticed that the port side of the ship was where all the action seemed to be when we would get into port.

Have fun!

• 6 months later...

Janet,

I have hump JS 9644 & D1 9642 booked on a Western LOS itinerary in May 2010 and have been tweaking on whether to switch the cabins to available aft cabins 1406 & 1404. Since I'm responsible for cabin choice for the 4 of us and since our travel companions are first time cruisers, I have been tweaking on hump vs. aft, port vs. starboard, deck 9 vs. deck 10, etc. up until now. After reading your thoughts on 1406 and seeing your pictures, and reading/seeing all the other helpful info on CC, I've decided that my original Deck 9 choice (hump 9644 & 9642) on the port side is the best choice for us and will be sticking to those cabins.

Thanks to you and all the others your sharing your insight. I'll be sure to do the same when we're back from the cruise in May!

Archived