No Lifevests required at Muster Drill

As one who mustered for real in an inside lounge (SS Norway) let me tell you that ain't the place to be. No lights, no airconditioning, chaos. Show me to boats please. And if I do have to practice muster inside, I go on my own to locate the life boats and the emergency raft canisters.

What are the odds? 25 cruises, 1 for real muster. Glad we practiced.

You are right. I never meant to infer by my previous post that you should not know where your actual lifeboat area is. They always instruct us on that.

I would be quite pleased if this was a new muster procedure and don't believe it would have been done that way on the Majesty had it not been compliant. Perhaps things changed May 1.

Yes, there should be a drill to rehearse assembling at the muster station, and a demonstration of how to put on a life jacket, etc. However, in a real emergency, one doesn't go to one's stateroom to get their jacket anyway unless you are already there, and this drill may confuse people into thinking that is what they are supposed to do.

Not requiring one to wear the lifevest would make the muster drill safer and more comfortable (how many Alpha Alpha Alpha announcements have you heard during muster because someone passes out? I have heard it several times).

A muster drill can be just as effective without your having to wear the lifevest while someone talks about the Save the Waves program in six languages.

I'm with those that think the vest drill is necessary. But in thinking back would I remember where my muster station was? We spend 2/3 of the day away from our cabin. Why not put our muster station on the SeaPass?

Someone questioned the capacity of the life vest.

Most people, even ones weighing 300+ pounds have a nearly neutral buoyancy in water. The life jackets only have to make up a difference of a few pounds.

An overlooked aspect of the proper wearing of life jackets is the consequences of wearing one wrong. Most people think of the flotation aspect of the life jackets. There have been talks of leaving them in the life boats, but that might not be good if the ship is listing too much to properly deploy the boats. If the life boats can't be deployed properly, one might have to enter the water first. Sounds simple if you are at your swimming pool. But on a ship, you might have to "step over" the side of the ship. This could result in a drop of up to 30, 40, 50 feet or more. If the jacket is not on properly, especially around the neck, the impact can break your neck.

Granted the probability of an accident is low. But just a few months ago an MSC ship broke loose from its mooring and dumped the gangway into the ocean. Several people were hurt. Accidents do happen, and being prepared or educated in advance is a good way to increase your survival chances.

A little common sense can go a long way.

During our last muster drill (in a lounge) I was ready to pass out after a while. Those things are so close to your face, and the one I had stunk really bad. Minutes passed like hours.......listening to the announcements being read off in various languages......P.U. !!!!!:eek:

Too bad, wearing those things makes a great picture.

Definitely a tradition in our family to take pictures at the muster.

I do get worried though that we're not going to make it back up on board in time for sail away, but we always have.

I think it would be a positive change. I don't have to try on the oxygen mask on an airplane to understand how it works. I don't have to wear my life jacket in order to understand how it works. IMHO.:)

I'm with those that think the vest drill is necessary. But in thinking back would I remember where my muster station was? We spend 2/3 of the day away from our cabin. Why not put our muster station on the SeaPass?[/quote]

They do! Right side middle.

I would like them to demonstrate the proper way to jump into the water with a vest on. (Not actually jump, just pretend).

Likewise, I agree, the save our waves, bingo, sail away BS from some Cruise Director, etc, in 6 languages does not belong at the muster drill.

I have to agree that Muster Drills are important, even if you have been on 20 cruises. A refresher on how to get to your station and put on the life jacket never hurt anyone. That being said, the most "humane" Muster Drills I have ever experenced were on the Crown Princess and Carribbean Princess. All Muster Stations are inside - as in AIR CONDITIONED. :D You are asked to bring your life jacket but not to wear it. Once in your assuigned lounge they do a very detailed review of safety procedures and fire safety. Once that is finished you are asked to put on the life jacket. Many crew members are available to help those who still cannot figure out how to do it! :eek: When everone has been checked you must take the jacket off and return to wherever!

I have to say that on other ships you see people with their life jackets half on, walking up and down the stairs, often with their straps hanging on the floor for others to trip over. It could be that those two ships have a layout that allowed 3000 passangers to fit into the lounges and theaters and other ships do not. So, keep the Muster Drill but change the format, if possible! :D

Something like a Dry Suit? I used to always have to use a wire coat hanger to pull the zipper up in back!:D

Kind of...most dry suits I've seen are tight around the neck...the Gumby Suit or Survival suit is a lot like a wet suit as well. It is intended to not keep you dry so much but to insulate your body, even when it is somewhat wet, and provide tons of flotation...would be hard to dive with one on.

I have to agree that Muster Drills are important, even if you have been on 20 cruises. A refresher on how to get to your station and put on the life jacket never hurt anyone. That being said, the most "humane" Muster Drills I have ever experenced were on the Crown Princess and Carribbean Princess. All Muster Stations are inside - as in AIR CONDITIONED. :D You are asked to bring your life jacket but not to wear it. Once in your assuigned lounge they do a very detailed review of safety procedures and fire safety. Once that is finished you are asked to put on the life jacket. Many crew members are available to help those who still cannot figure out how to do it! :eek: When everone has been checked you must take the jacket off and return to wherever!

I have to say that on other ships you see people with their life jackets half on, walking up and down the stairs, often with their straps hanging on the floor for others to trip over. It could be that those two ships have a layout that allowed 3000 passangers to fit into the lounges and theaters and other ships do not. So, keep the Muster Drill but change the format, if possible! :D

Amen.

I almost passed out at one drill, it went on so long and it was SO hot.

I had to go inside and recover. Great start to a cruise...

Granted the probability of an accident is low. But just a few months ago an MSC ship broke loose from its mooring and dumped the gangway into the ocean. Several people were hurt. Accidents do happen, and being prepared or educated in advance is a good way to increase your survival chances.

A little common sense can go a long way.

Here is the video www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia4M0Z_nbVk

Amen.

I almost passed out at one drill, it went on so long and it was SO hot.

I had to go inside and recover. Great start to a cruise...

On our recent Jewel of the Seas cruise, the drill was at the respective muster stations which IINM were held inside in the common areas - bars, chops restaurant, etc - on Deck 4, 5 and 6. The lifeboats are hung right outside. Our 2 year old was bothered by the life vest and kept howling. After 10 minutes of the chaos, a crew member suggested that my wife take him back to the cabin and that I explain the process to them. She promptly left :)

I'm with those that think the vest drill is necessary. But in thinking back would I remember where my muster station was? We spend 2/3 of the day away from our cabin. Why not put our muster station on the SeaPass?[/quote]

They do! Right side middle.

Never knew that. Never paid that much attention.

Thanks for the tip Chris.

Laura

I'm with those that think the vest drill is necessary. But in thinking back would I remember where my muster station was? We spend 2/3 of the day away from our cabin. Why not put our muster station on the SeaPass?

\

It actually is on your seapass. Our last sailing on the Freedom it was clearly on our seapass as the letter D and a number.

That is surprising. There are some reasons that come to mind for bringing the life vests:

0. That there are life-vests for everyone on board.

1. That they are in usable condition.

2. That they fit properly, e.g. kids have kid size vests.

3. That people really know how to put them on and use the whistle and flare (if equipped).

4. That concerns like - will so many people be able to make it in orderly fashion to and fit in their designated evacuation area with their vests on, etc - are addressed.

Yea there are several even more important reasons for just doing a drill even without vests. But I do not understand why they eliminated an aspect of the drill that makes it more effective. Did they say why?

I was thinking the same thing (but not as well-stated).

I think there are many ways to get the muster point across, how to put a lifevest on, "Properly" can be shown on the tvs in the stateroom, it could be on loop on all channels for the first hours of boarding. you should only be made to proceed to your muster location so that you know where it is checkin and then leave. Keeping you in inhumane conditions is ridiculous!

And really when it would be of necessity either people will know how or not! whether they practice 1 time or 20!

On our recent Jewel of the Seas cruise, the drill was at the respective muster stations which IINM were held inside in the common areas - bars, chops restaurant, etc - on Deck 4, 5 and 6. The lifeboats are hung right outside. Our 2 year old was bothered by the life vest and kept howling. After 10 minutes of the chaos, a crew member suggested that my wife take him back to the cabin and that I explain the process to them. She promptly left :)

While the Jewel uses a few inside locations as Muster Drill stations, the majority is still outside on promenade deck right under the life boats.

I think it would be a positive change. I don't have to try on the oxygen mask on an airplane to understand how it works. I don't have to wear my life jacket in order to understand how it works. IMHO.:)

Good for you and I, as I don´t need to wear it either to know how to put it on. However I can tell you from experience there´s enough people that don´t know how to put them on.

It actually is on your seapass. Our last sailing on the Freedom it was clearly on our seapass as the letter D and a number.

Are you sure that # was your lifeboat loaction? My Sea-Passes usually have the letter "C" and a number. The "C" stands for cruise only (no airfare purchased).

Are you sure that # was your lifeboat loaction? My Sea-Passes usually have the letter "C" and a number. The "C" stands for cruise only (no airfare purchased).

Hi Paul :)

Just checked some old seapasses and yes it is there..just below the date..right hand side. I have a B11 from on Indy & C8 from Mariner.

Archived