Milan Airport ???? The Good, Bad and the Ugly.

We're thinking of doing a post cruise trip from Venice to Lake Como for 3 days.

I'm a little apprehensive about dealing with the Milan Airport.... Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult Milan Airport is to navigate.

Grazie

I'm a little apprehensive about dealing with the Milan Airport.... Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult Milan Airport is to navigate.

Grazie

I don't recall having any difficulty the last time I was there. Here's a link to their webpage:

http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/en/servizi/mappe/index.phtml?to=sx_mappe&mod=mappe

I am not a fan of Malpensa but none of my dislikes relate to navigating the airport. It is easy enough to do and well signposted.

How are you getting from Como to the airport?

Take the train, you'll be in Como by train before you're even landed in Milan

Eurostar City 9728

Venezia S. Lucia 14:20 - 16:55 Milano Centrale

CIS 22

Milano Centrale 17:10 - 17:43 Como S. Giovanni

Total Travel Time: 03:23

Cost: E43.20 return (1st class; 2nd class is less)

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

And, from the look of it, the Venice Train Station is less than a km from the cruise port.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.436797,12.315888&spn=0.017496,0.04549&z=15

Take the train, you'll be in Como by train before you're even landed in Milan

Eurostar City 9728

Venezia S. Lucia 14:20 - 16:55 Milano Centrale

CIS 22

Milano Centrale 17:10 - 17:43 Como S. Giovanni

Total Travel Time: 03:23

Cost: E43.20 return (1st class; 2nd class is less)

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

And, from the look of it, the Venice Train Station is less than a km from the cruise port.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.436797,12.315888&spn=0.017496,0.04549&z=15

that works if going to Como (city) rather than some other (may I say, better) place on the lake. It also does not address getting to Malpensa. The easy of this varies, again, with where they are staying on the lake.

We'll be renting a car in Venice.

As macaroni wrote .. easy enough to do.

The airport is NW of Milan and the lake is NE, so you won't have nasty city traffic to worry about. The airport is hugely underutilized. For passengers, this is a good thing.

that works if going to Como (city) rather than some other (may I say, better) place on the lake. It also does not address getting to Malpensa. The easy of this varies, again, with where they are staying on the lake.

I was implying it would be much faster to travelling by train from Venice to Como (and rent your car there) versus flying the short flight VCE to MXP/LIN and then driving.

Thank you all for your insight and link.....Malpensa doesn't sound as daunting as I feared.

We're renting a car in Venice in order to go at our own pace, enjoying the journey to Bellagio. From what I've researched, once your on Lake Como the ferry is a wonderful way to "take in" the area.

Grazie,

Judy

We rented a villa in Tuscany two years ago and few in/out of Malpensa and then rented a car. The airport is quite old, the lines to clear customs were horrendously long, but in general it is not nearly as large as many other European airports so very not difficult to navigate. If you are driving you need a good map or GPS-driving in Italy is an experience!

From what I've researched, once your on Lake Como the ferry is a wonderful way to "take in" the area.

Grazie,

Judy

Not to mince words because I hope you have a great trip, but the ferries on Lake Como are basically point to point transportation (although the views approaching the villages are lovely). I think you're referencing the steamer boats that go around the lake at a slow pace to enjoy the scenery, and that is a great way to spend time at Lake Como. There are also hydrofoils to get from one end of the lake to the other quickly.

And to the OP, we haven't had any issues in MPX.

Happy travels,

Donna

Archived