Explorer of the Seas - dropped port of call

any one notice the OP has never come back????:rolleyes::p

I never really think anything about that.. My mother needed a cover for her discontinued hot tub. We told her to find a message board and post the model # and question. She did...

She called to ask me, "What happens now?"

I asked if she signed up for email notification when someone replies?

No

Did you bookmark the site?

No

"Then nothing happens now mom, until you go and find the website again"

Tortola was a nice port, even though we were only there until 1 PM on Grandeur. I at least hope that they have removed it from the listed future Explorer itineraries. :)

You still have seven months. By December two more ports could be dropped, or the ship chartered :eek:

###

Yes, that is what happened to my November cruise. They took my whole ship out from under me and chartered it. Was I happy? Not really.

Am I still sailing another RCCL ship instead? Yes.

Am I going to have a great cruise on my substitute ship without the same itinerary that I wanted to do? Yes I am.

The OP should be happy only 1 port is missing.

any one notice the OP has never come back????:rolleyes::p

Yes and who would blame him....... post on here for the first time and get gang-bashed!

Obviously not permitted to say ANYTHING negative any more. :mad:

Yes and who would blame him....... post on here for the first time and get gang-bashed!

Have you noticed that people make negative posts all the time, and if they're legitimate, then you'll get some give and take. If you post out of ignorance, or post something that people know is foolish/wrong/silly, then you're gonna get told you're foolish/wrong/silly, you know, like "Royal Caribbean must substitute another port" or "compensate if they don't". Anyone who has cruised more than once knows that neither of the above is correct, so the OP get his cra* blast blown back on him when it hit the fan, especially when it was pointed out that Tortola and not RCL was the problem.

Thank you for your welcome (and not so welcome) responses. I have to agree that some of the words I used may be too strong. However, it does not change the issue. Its not about me: I have an option to cancel and go somewhere else. And dropped port of call will not ruin my experience with Royal: so far I had great time.

When writing this post I was hoping that it will be read by the folks at RCCL that actually care to make the great cruising experience outstanding by “fixing” things that should be fixed.

Namely, there is no reason why RCCL can’t keep us in the loop when making itinerary changes.

There is also no reason why RCCL could not try to find a different port for that day.

In terms of dropped island, I believe the primary reason for that is revenue. Yes, $$$. What they did was to convert an expense budget line item into a profit item while charging the same rate. Docking costs money and with most passengers off the ship the revenue is lost.

On the personal note, I was looking forward to an extra day going scuba diving.

I totally agree. Nothing critical shall be said without scathing replies by cheerleaders.

And perhaps the OP has a life outside of CC and isn't glued to her computer all day. :rolleyes:

The scathing replies are getting way out of hand EVERYWHERE on the boards. I thing that once a person cruises like 20 times - they should drop off the message boards because clearly the are such experts that they have little to no patience for less experienced cruisers!

The OP's complaint are valid. Unfortunately the fact is that the cruise lines can change itineraries without warning. It happens - not often - but it does happen. But just maybe the OP was seeking some sympathy and understanding. Sometimes all a person needs to hear is that it will all work out in the end and to be reminded of what a great experience they're going to have regardless of the change. But instead of helping him find the "bright side", why don't we all just bash him instead!

The scathing replies are getting way out of hand EVERYWHERE on the boards. I thing that once a person cruises like 20 times - they should drop off the message boards because clearly the are such experts that they have little to no patience for less experienced cruisers!

The OP's complaint are valid. Unfortunately the fact is that the cruise lines can change itineraries without warning. It happens - not often - but it does happen. But just maybe the OP was seeking some sympathy and understanding. Sometimes all a person needs to hear is that it will all work out in the end and to be reminded of what a great experience they're going to have regardless of the change. But instead of helping him find the "bright side", why don't we all just bash him instead!

I agree with you totally. And I'm not sure why the increase in rude responses? I don't get it.

It's only a 2 page thread. I don't see any replies on here that are particularly rude, scathing or critical?.. They are just replies on a message board. If they offend your sense of moral outrage or you find them inappropriate or offensive, then you should quote or report the offensive post directly. Maybe the posts you are talking about were pulled or something, but I just don't see it. :confused:

It appears that most people sympathize with the OP, and it is deceptive if Tortola still shows up on Explorer itineraries. It is also unfortunate that RCCL does not notify people in advance of port drops or changes. But they don't, usually. They expect travel agents to do that. If you book directly with the cruise line...that is one of the disadvantages. :rolleyes:

If you book directly with Royal Caribbean...You have to monitor your own cruise, either through the website or the roll call. :D If you need additional support, a travel agent might be a better choice.

We sailed with the folks above (bphunt) last year on the Serenade. When we booked it showed an extra port. Then it was dropped. We found out from our travel agent and very soon it was posted on our cruise info on the website where you log in to your own reservation.

We also were on a Grandeur cruise where Grand Cayman was dropped and Key West added. I thought that was silly as I used to live on the Florida Keys. Know what? We had a fantastic day. We did things there I had never done when I lived nearby.

Disappointing yes. But hey! You are on a cruise. Better than me.... I'll be home!!!

I am not posting this to criticize anyone, just to clarify your statement on the changing of itineraries not happening often.

That is not correct on numerous cruises I have taken. It happens all the time. It happens on all cruise lines.;) It is a common occurrence on a cruise and one who cruises must learn to accept it.

It is within the rights of the cruise lines to do this for many reasons.

I have had many an itinerary changed on my 27 cruises.

In the process of booking my next two cruises, this is the third set of ships I am on because of the itinerary changes and the canceling of my ship and cruise.

Twice on my next cruises I have booked, they have removed Grenada from the ports of call. Both on the Serenade and the Adventure. :( 3 + times in my previous years that island alone has been removed from the itineraries.

We can not demand that a cruise line replace a port.

If a person is that unhappy over a missed port, they should seek another ship or another cruise line that goes to the island they are missing. ;)

We all have that choice.

We sailed with the folks above (bphunt) last year on the Serenade. When we booked it showed an extra port. Then it was dropped. We found out from our travel agent and very soon it was posted on our cruise info on the website where you log in to your own reservation.

We also were on a Grandeur cruise where Grand Cayman was dropped and Key West added. I thought that was silly as I used to live on the Florida Keys. Know what? We had a fantastic day. We did things there I had never done when I lived nearby.

Disappointing yes. But hey! You are on a cruise. Better than me.... I'll be home!!!

Hey Bill! And you or skiergirl posted about the dropped port on the roll call, so we all found out about it at the same time. It is unfortunate when sometimes it is a disappointing surprise to some passengers. :D

So wait - RCCL was offering a port that they can't get get into based on work that other people were supposed to do. That backfired on them, they drop the port without offering another one and they wave a contract around. People aren't supposed to be pissed about that?

So wait - RCCL was offering a port that they can't get get into based on work that other people were supposed to do. That backfired on them, they drop the port without offering another one and they wave a contract around. People aren't supposed to be pissed about that?

OK. The OP's cruise is in December....7 months away? I'd be disappointed. We were disappointed/pissed when they dropped Kauai from our Hawaii itinerary, 5 months or so before the cruise. We went anyway. Hawaii cruise was great.

It depends on your level of disappointment/pissed offishness...as to whether you cancel because because of it. :D We can all sympathize, it doesn't change anything.

The stupid hurricane wiped out the parked helicopters on Antigua right before our cruise too. I was really disappointed. That was the thing I was most excited about...was our booked trip by helicopter over Montseratt. Photo: http://www.talkantigua.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/antigua-tours-helicopter.jpgWe went anyway, and had a great cruise....I just have to go AGAIN, now..... so I can see the volcano:rolleyes:

[quote name='BETEP']Thank you for your welcome (and not so welcome) responses. I have to agree that some of the words I used may be too strong. However, it does not change the issue. Its not about me: I have an option to cancel and go somewhere else. And dropped port of call will not ruin my experience with Royal: so far I had great time.
When writing this post I was hoping that it will be read by the folks at RCCL that actually care to make the great cruising experience outstanding by “fixing” things that should be fixed.
Namely, there is no reason why RCCL can’t keep us in the loop when making itinerary changes.
There is also no reason why RCCL could not try to find a different port for that day.
In terms of dropped island, I believe the primary reason for that is revenue. Yes, $$$. What they did was to convert an expense budget line item into a profit item while charging the same rate. Docking costs money and with most passengers off the ship the revenue is lost.
On the personal note, I was looking forward to an extra day going scuba diving.[/QUOTE]
If your purpose is to send a message to Royal Caribbean, I suggest that you communicate directly with Royal Caribbean.

This is just an internet message board about cruising. Do people at RC read the boards? Yes, but if you want to tell them something, write to THEM, not to US.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled give-and-take, interpreted by some as "attacks" and "cheerleading", when in fact there is neither in this thread.

:cool: :rolleyes:

[quote name='BETEP']Thank you for your welcome (and not so welcome) responses. I have to agree that some of the words I used may be too strong. However, it does not change the issue. Its not about me: I have an option to cancel and go somewhere else. And dropped port of call will not ruin my experience with Royal: so far I had great time.
On the personal note, I was looking forward to an extra day going scuba diving.[/quote]

One cruise, as we were checking in, we were handed a printed page with our NEW itinerary. Then missed one of the NEW ports. :o Waiting in line to board, everyone was a buzz talking about excursion changes. Still had a good (great) time. Had to be flexible and think on your feet. Enjoy the adventure.

[quote name='Merion_Mom']If your purpose is to send a message to Royal Caribbean, I suggest that you communicate directly with Royal Caribbean.

This is just an internet message board about cruising. Do people at RC read the boards? Yes, but if you want to tell them something, write to THEM, not to US.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled give-and-take, interpreted by some as "attacks" and "cheerleading", when in fact there is neither in this thread.

:cool: :rolleyes:[/quote]

You are a true real gem on this board. Also clearminded and super-helpful. Thanks for being you!

[quote name='pbhunt']It's only a 2 page thread. I don't see any replies on here that are particularly rude, scathing or critical?.. They are just replies on a message board. If they offend your sense of moral outrage or you find them inappropriate or offensive, then you should quote or report the offensive post directly. Maybe the posts you are talking about were pulled or something, but I just don't see it. :confused:

It appears that most people sympathize with the OP, and it is deceptive if Tortola still shows up on Explorer itineraries. It is also unfortunate that RCCL does not notify people in advance of port drops or changes. But they don't, usually. They expect travel agents to do that. If you book directly with the cruise line...that is one of the disadvantages. :rolleyes:

If you book directly with Royal Caribbean...You have to monitor your own cruise, either through the website or the roll call. :D If you need additional support, a travel agent might be a better choice.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you Tortola is still showing as a port for our March 2010 cruise, I know ports can be dropped and changed but it would be nice if we were informed and told why. In our case our first port of call was dropped due to $$$ and RCI did inform us of this which we accepted. But from all accounts it seems we will also lose another port which they seem to know about yet still this shows on the itinery WHY???

Sandra

We all understand that cruise itineraries need to be changed due to weather conditions, social unrest, and health issues. When these things occur after a cruise leaves the home port, most people will accept the fact that a port is missed or another is substituted. What I have issue with is the fact that RCCL or any cruise line can advertise a specific itinerary and not be taken to task when they know that they have no intention of actually following the advertised ports of call. It has been well documented that Explorer cannot visit Tortola due to the depth of the port, yet RCCL is still advertising the port on the 3/7/2010 sailing. Having read these CC boards I am aware of this and I have to decide if I should cancel my reservation or not. If I go to the RCCL website and I am a first time cruiser or if I am unaware of the CC boards why should I not have the correct information to make an informed choice as to how to spend my hard earned money on a crise based on itinerary? Some people, myself included, enjoy cruising because you wake up in a "new port" almost every morning. Sea days are fun, but ports afford an opportunity to explore and experience new cultures, people, or natural beauty. The choice should be yours based on valid information. That is all any reputable business should afford it's clientele.

[quote name='Sue L']I suspect they have been a little busy, with other concerns, little things like finding new ports on a day or two notice for 5 or six ships. If you don't like the new itinerary ,...cancel and find something you do. Very easy.

Welcome btw[/quote]

I wouldn't consider that a valid excuse. It is a company not a person, they are capable of doing more than one thing at a time.

[quote name='emdia43']Yes and who would blame him....... post on here for the first time and get gang-bashed!
Obviously not permitted to say ANYTHING negative any more. :mad:[/quote]

Really. The people who told here to read the contract obviously didn't read her message, they have hair triggers on the reply button trying to get to that exclusive 10000 post club. They must think there is a concierge lounge at that level. But the one who said they are too busy to notify customers takes the cake. Yea, I would get over it and enjoy the cruise, but some of you are just thoughtless internet junkies.

[quote name='Merion_Mom']If your purpose is to send a message to Royal Caribbean, I suggest that you communicate directly with Royal Caribbean.

:cool: :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Carol, you rock. Good to see you again!

I don't believe that depth is really the problem, but more so
the size of the channel and turning basin; because, Ocean Village
and Explorer carries the same depth, and Ocean Village has dock in
Tortola on numerous occassions. QM2 has been to Tortola, but anchors
on the outta harbour.

but if this is the case, how will Celebrity Solstice be able dock there?

[quote name='emdia43']Yes and who would blame him....... post on here for the first time and get gang-bashed!
Obviously not permitted to say ANYTHING negative any more. :mad:[/QUOTE]
Well at least she does'nt want to start a class action suit like the person on the carnival board last night. You would think a pre law student would read a contract

Archived