Laundry and Laundramats on board

slotl

There is ONE self-service laundry on deck 6 of the Quest. It contains 4 washers and 4 dryers.

There are 700 passengers on the ship, and, if you have done laundry at home, you know that each person has two loads at a time (one for whites, the other for dark colored clothes).

The ship offers laundry services BY THE PIECE only. When you are on the ship for 24 days and some travel prior to boarding, you know that by the piece laundry can become VERY expensive. There is no unlimited laundry (at a fee) nor laundry by the bag offered by the ship.

You can only picture the chaos to get an available machine in the laundry on sea days. The laundry is open from 9AM to 9:30PM and locked at other times including some port days (we were in Mumbai overnight and the laundry room was NOT available).

I find the laundry a huge issue with a cruise line the status of Azamara.

BTW, they are missing a business profit center by not offering these services to passengers willing to pay.

Azamara Cruise Line: I hope you are reading this post!!

Do the washing machines and dryers take quarters??

The dryers are free and the washing machines take US quarters. [Would not take Canadian quarters as I found when a stray one got into my supply!] Three of the machines required $2 and one just $1.

Although officially not open until 9am, the laundry room was actually open earlier. Also, I used it on the second day in Mumbai so I think that Lois was unlucky. Port days were often the best time to use the laundry.

Sue

There is ONE self-service laundry on deck 6 of the Quest. It contains 4 washers and 4 dryers.

There are 700 passengers on the ship, and, if you have done laundry at home, you know that each person has two loads at a time (one for whites, the other for dark colored clothes).

The ship offers laundry services BY THE PIECE only. When you are on the ship for 24 days and some travel prior to boarding, you know that by the piece laundry can become VERY expensive. There is no unlimited laundry (at a fee) nor laundry by the bag offered by the ship.

You can only picture the chaos to get an available machine in the laundry on sea days. The laundry is open from 9AM to 9:30PM and locked at other times including some port days (we were in Mumbai overnight and the laundry room was NOT available).

I find the laundry a huge issue with a cruise line the status of Azamara.

BTW, they are missing a business profit center by not offering these services to passengers willing to pay.

Azamara Cruise Line: I hope you are reading this post!!

If it is any consolation cruise lines do read these boards.

Thanks for the helpful information.

Smooth sailing to you...

If it is any consolation cruise lines do read these boards.

Thanks for the helpful information.

Smooth sailing to you...

They may read these boards, but I doubt they will change one of the cabins into a laundry room anytime soon (would take a lot of quarters for it to make economic sense).

They may read these boards, but I doubt they will change one of the cabins into a laundry room anytime soon (would take a lot of quarters for it to make economic sense).

Probably not.

Our preference is to send everything to the laundry being as it is a vacation and all. I do understand that many people prefer to do their own.

Unless they have moved it, the laundry is on Deck 7 as I remember.

You are correct! The laundry room is on Deck 7, my mistake.

There is one washing machine which you need $1 to wash (4 US quarters, there is a change machine in the laundry which will change $1, $5, and $10 US bills), the other 3 machines cost $2 (don't ask me why).

The dryers, were actually FREE. There are coin "slots" for $2 worth of quarters, but we found that just by pressing the "start" button, no money was needed to operate the dryers.

My feelings about doing laundry MYSELF while I am on VACATION is very distasteful. If I am spending a large amount of money to be on the cruise, I don't mind spending a little more money so that I don't have to think about doing laundry while onboard. Once you have used unlimited laundry services on a ship, you will never want to see the inside of a laundramat again. The clothes are returned folded or hung and all we need to do is hang them up or put them away in a drawer. I will say that you do need to remove the id label ironed into each piece of the clothes......a small negative.

Note to Project_gal,

The reason the laundry was open "early" is because I had a hissy fit with Guest Relations and the manager of housekeeping to get it open earlier. There were people sitting outside the laundramat with trays of breakfast waiting for the laundry room to open. Shameful!

You should try po got a laundromat on every deck they are also very busy on sea days,you will also find people will take laundry out if left unattended,also no laundry specials, a bit of a downer if on a 22 day cruise or a worldie :):):)

I'm planning on doing a load or two of laundry - I'd rather do that than haul a couple of large suitcases across the Pond. Rather than fight for the machines on a sea day, we may try early on a port day when we're just planning on wandering, anyway.

And I plan to send plenty of stuff out - our cruise has dropped nearly $3000 since we first booked it ($6000 if you count the downgrade from a Sky Suite to a 2A), so I'm perfectly happy to spend a couple of hundred dollars to have somebody else clean my stuff!:)

I think if you are a CC member and I may be wrong that when we sailed the Quest and the Journey there were specials that for I think $20/$25 you could have a bag that was provided laundered.

It was an excellent Deal, My DW tells me it was printed in the daily news sheet.

Note to Project_gal,

The reason the laundry was open "early" is because I had a hissy fit with Guest Relations and the manager of housekeeping to get it open earlier. There were people sitting outside the laundramat with trays of breakfast waiting for the laundry room to open. Shameful!

Lois

I knew about that incident but it was actually open earlier than 9am on the first day of the cruise [Port Klang]. We got there at 08:45 to queue and found it already in full use!

Sue

Lois

I knew about that incident but it was actually open earlier than 9am on the first day of the cruise [Port Klang]. We got there at 08:45 to queue and found it already in full use!

Sue

On the small ships we have been on laundry was open 24/7. My DH does the laundry and likes to drop it off at 6:00am on the way to the gym. What are the laundry hours?

I'm planning on doing a load or two of laundry - I'd rather do that than haul a couple of large suitcases across the Pond. Rather than fight for the machines on a sea day, we may try early on a port day when we're just planning on wandering, anyway.

And I plan to send plenty of stuff out - our cruise has dropped nearly $3000 since we first booked it ($6000 if you count the downgrade from a Sky Suite to a 2A), so I'm perfectly happy to spend a couple of hundred dollars to have somebody else clean my stuff!:)

The cost to send out laundry "per piece" is outragious. It adds up quickly.

Laundry

Jacket $5.00

Pants $4.00

Long Sleeved Shirt $4.00

Short Sleeved Shirt $3.00

Sweater $4.00

Shorts $3.00

Dress $7.00

Skirt $4.00

Pajamas $3.50

Handkerchief $1.00

T-Shirt $2.50

Undergarments $1.50

Swimwear $2.00

Socks, pair $1.00

Dry Cleaning

Suit $10.00

Jacket $6.00

Pants $5.00

Long Sleeved Shirt $5.00

Short Sleeved Shirt $4.00

Sweater $5.00

Shorts $4.00

Dress $9.00

Skirt $5.00

Necktie $2.00

Pressing Only

Suit $5.00

Jacket $4.00

Pants $3.00

Long Sleeved Shirt $3.00

Short Sleeved Shirt $2.00

Sweater $3.00

Shorts $2.00

Dress $5.00

Skirt $3.00

Our only hope is that Azamara begins to offer unlimited laundry (at a price) or per bag laundry especially for longer or back-to-back cruise passengers.

I don't want to do laundry while I am on vacation!

P.S. Laundry room was open from 9:00AM to 9:30PM. The doors are locked at 10:00PM

As Elite Captain's Club members we got two $10 coupons for laundry on Journey. I don't remember a "bagful" special, though. I'll have to pay more attention this time!

The deal was $10 off laundry. We had sailed on Journey earlier. THERE WERE NO BAG SERVICES. I was given an "extra" coupon, because I was so angry about no laundry services.

I had just gotten off of the HAL Volendam on a 19 day cruise from Auckland to Singapore 3 days before boarding Azamara, then took a side-trip to Agra to visit the Taj Mahal, returning to Singapore to board the ship. HAL offered unlimited laundry for the 19 days at a cost of $120 or a per bag charge of $20. The folks who were on the Volendam for 47 days (continuing to Vancouver) were charged $350 for unlimited laundry. I was "spoiled" with unlimited laundry on HAL and expected similar services on Azamara....boy, was I surprised.

I was "spoiled" with unlimited laundry on HAL and expected similar services on Azamara....boy, was I surprised.

Two different cruise lines, with different policies regarding many things. It would be nice if all the good things from each line applied to both lines, and none of the 'not-so-good'.:)

Lois

Sue

I was on the Azamara Quest 12/07. The laundry was quite busy and some

people were not that patient. When you wash or dry be sure you are in

attendance when your cycle is done. I witnessed a few unpleasant instances.

Carol

Before we cruised on the Azamara, we never had access to a laundromat on board. I think that any machines, no matter how limited the hours are, are wonderful. Kudus to Azamara for providing them.

I was on the Azamara Quest 12/07. The laundry was quite busy and some

people were not that patient. When you wash or dry be sure you are in

attendance when your cycle is done. I witnessed a few unpleasant instances.

Carol

two passegers (men) got into a fight in the laundry room (over unattended and thus removed laundry) and they were put off the ship in the next port (QE2).

That's what I would call unpleasant.

Interesting. Our experience on both the Quest and the Journey has been that people are friendly, helpful, and by and large cooperative.

Hopefully that will continue to be the rule and not the exception.

I don't find those prices outrageous at all. Especially since on a two week trip, for us, it would be perhaps a few shirts and maybe a pair of pants. I can't bear the thought of someone doing my underwear, so I just take care of that in the sink, and can always do a t-shirt or two that way as well.

Archived