Greetings from VEENDAM

I've posted a number of pictures of the renewed VEENDAM on my Web site below . . . and tomorrow will post some of the new "Showroom at Sea" and a review of the first major performance! Suffice it to say for now it is definitely a hit!! There are a few things that need to be finished, but the improvements are really neat and all of you will have a spectacular time this summer in Alaska!

Regards, Richard

PS - Today is Canal day and I have to leave, unfortunately!

Thanks for the picture of a CA lanai cabin. We have one for our short trip San Diego to Vancouver. My first reaction is: looks like no drawers and short counter top as on the Vista ship balcony cabins. I love the 6 drawers and long counter top in the outside Veendam cabins.

I wonder if the retreat will be finished by 14 May when we board.

Richard, thanks for posting.

One of the big questions about the remodeling was whether the additional number of cabins and people would stress the two sets of elevators and crowd the public areas. What's your impression on this so far?

I've posted a number of pictures of the renewed VEENDAM on my Web site below . . . and tomorrow will post some of the new "Showroom at Sea" and a review of the first major performance! Suffice it to say for now it is definitely a hit!! There are a few things that need to be finished, but the improvements are really neat and all of you will have a spectacular time this summer in Alaska!

Regards, Richard

PS - Today is Canal day and I have to leave, unfortunately!

What a GREAT Blog/web site you have....!!!icon14.gif :D

THANK YOU.....!!!icon14.gif

It sounds like you are enjoying your "adventure"......;)

I know you are busy having a wonderful time, but, if you ever get the chance, the opportunity, could you PLEASE snap a few pictures of a"Deluxe Verandah Suite" and the Neptune Lounge.....photog.gif

I am looking forward to reading more about your cruise and the "New and Improved" Veendam......!!!:D

Thank you for the pictures; I'm especially interested in The Mix area. What I didn't see in your pictures is the spot where the piano is supposed to be.

Could you please describe that section of The Mix? Is there seating around the piano? Does it look like there would be any interaction between the musician and the audience? How did it strike you as an entertainment venue?

Richard, Thanks for the review of the Veendam so far and the fabulous pictures! We will be sailing on her in the fall in one of those great new lanai cabins and just viewing the photos has raised the excitement level. :)

One of the features of MIX are tabletop Microsoft computer screens with touch screens where you can play a variety of games, preview travel pictures and because of the cameras underneath you can move things around . . . really quite neat with a lot of potential applications for the future of cruising.

Sounds great unless there is a code red!!:cool: Sounds like another way to spread germs..

Bulldog

Regards, Richard

PS - Today is Canal day and I have to leave, unfortunately![/QUOTe

I must be brain dead, but I can't find the web site!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Thank you so much for the pictures, keep them coming. One question about the Retreat. In the concept art, they showed lounge chairs inside the pool. However, looking at your pictures, it looks like they have stools all over the place????? Thank you

The "stools" are little tables where you can put your drinks and books, since you can't put them on the ground (under water). The new lounge chairs will be added as seating, after the pool gets it's final cleansing.

The piano in Mixx has stools surrounding it so that you can visit with the entertainer. It's really a lovely area, so don't worry. There's plenty of lounges and entertainment areas on deck 8 that seem to work very well.

It's raining today, so Deck 8 is busy, but not overcrowded. Elevators have been a problem because they take turns breaking down, so at busy times there's a wait.

We've been very happy with the new look of the Veendam on the inside. Beautiful color scheme and decor. But this is my first time on HA, so I can't compare with those who liked the old stuff.

One of the big questions about the remodeling was whether the additional number of cabins and people would stress the two sets of elevators and crowd the public areas. What's your impression on this so far?

Like all ships, embarkation day when elevators are busy moving luggage as well as guests, a hassle . . . but after that, other than when shows let our or after life boat drill, elevators are fine. Public areas didn't seem that crowded. At peak times Lido gets a little crowded, but that's always the case on any ship.

I must be brain dead, but I can't find the web site!
Richard, please post the link to your site, thanks.

Just for you Toad and Scope: www.richarddetrich.wordpress.com

touch screens where you can play a variety of games, preview travel pictures and because of the cameras underneath you can move things around . . . really quite neat with a lot of potential applications for the future of cruising.

Bulldog: Sounds great unless there is a code red!!:cool: Sounds like another way to spread germs..

As long as YOU wash your hands Bulldog, no problem. Besides, in code red there are Virox wipes for each table/touch screen.

Thank you for the pictures; I'm especially interested in The Mix area. What I didn't see in your pictures is the spot where the piano is supposed to be.

Could you please describe that section of The Mix? Is there seating around the piano? Does it look like there would be any interaction between the musician and the audience? How did it strike you as an entertainment venue?

I would say one of the best entertainment venues I've seen . . . different, but works well. Typical piano with seating around it, and a fantastic entertainer! Don't worry, my dear, go . . . and have fun!

One question about the Retreat. In the concept art, they showed lounge chairs inside the pool. However, looking at your pictures, it looks like they have stools all over the place????? Thank you

Retreat was a work still in progress. The "stools" are actually little tables for drinks and books and sun glasses and next to each "stool" will be a lounge chair. Nice, huh?

Regards, Richad

The piano in Mixx has stools surrounding it so that you can visit with the entertainer.

Thank you for that information. It's a help.

I'm really looking for a description of the new area. Hopefully, someone will post photos at some point, so I can get a better idea of how the Piano Bar changed. Perhaps it isn't as bad as I fear it to be? :confused:

I'm really looking for a description of the new area. Hopefully, someone will post photos at some point, so I can get a better idea of how the Piano Bar changed. Perhaps it isn't as bad as I fear it to be? :confused:

It's actually very nice . . . very intimate around the piano, luxurious, upscale . . . right across from the Champagne [not sure about the spelling, I was busy studying in school and that wasn't on the spelling list!:o] Bar . . . kind of brings everyone in on the act whether they are actually sitting around the piano or not. Why is it that everytime there is something new there is an almost automatic assumption that it's going to be "as bad as I fear it to be"? I pick that up on different CC boards and I wish someone could explain it to me. I don't think "critic" necessarily means you are "Simon" . . . or "critical" means that it has to be negative.

Regards, Richard

Archived