Venice... Gondelas... info

Hi

Where is the best place in Venice to go to catch the steriotypical romantic gondela ride?

How long do they last?

How much do they cost?

What's a nice time in July to get one... I'm thinking dusk would be good?

Mark

The last I heard the official price for a gondola ride was 80 euro for 40 (45?) minutes. The official price goes up at either 7 p.m. or dusk (sorry, can't remember which). Singing is extra.

Venice being Venice, the Gondoliere will almost certainly try for a higher price .. and if things are busy, he will undoubtably get it. Six passengers fit in a gondola, by the way, in case you feel like a arranging a group to reduce to per body cost.

The two places we saw the most were at the Rialto Bridge stop by Harrry's Bar and at San Marco stop. There were always gondolas tied up. Not always gondoliers by their gondolas, but you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

As the previous poster said, they are expensive. Daytime costs less than evening. The prices are set (sort of like taxi fares), so while you might find one that will lower the price, it is doubtful.

I did a Venice walking tour that included a gondola ride (30 minutes) for $58 pp, so I felt I was getting more for my buck. There were 6 of us to a gondola.

Have a great trip!

I was in Venice in 07. The going price was 45E for about 30-45 min ride. The price for evening was about 70E for a ride. You can find gondolas on every canal. Check with the conceierge desk at hotel; they might be able to find you a good deal. You do not have to worry about getting ripped off, because they will all be about 5euros apart in their prices.

AF-1, your prices are a little outdated. In Oct '08 they were 60-70 EUR for daytime and 90-100 EUR for evening for the 45 minute ride. The Grand Princess was the only ship in port, don't know if that makes any difference to prices or willingeness to deal on prices.

We found ours just off of St Marks Square. The four of us rode for $35 each. Ours was in the afternoon so we could see all the back alleys of Venice, wonderful experience.:D

We found ours just off of St Marks Square. The four of us rode for $35 each. Ours was in the afternoon so we could see all the back alleys of Venice, wonderful experience.:D

When was that, that's 104 EUR for the afternoon ride? That's even higher than when we were there.

Hi

Where is the best place in Venice to go to catch the steriotypical romantic gondela ride?

How long do they last?

How much do they cost?

What's a nice time in July to get one... I'm thinking dusk would be good?

Mark

80 Euros for ~ 45' this past August.

We saw them for hire at many places but the most were at St Marks and near Rialto. I didn't take it but others in my party that did said it was well worth the extravagant cost.

Thanks all for the info... I def think its something you should at least do once in your life... so really the money is not a huge issue... sounds like we will love it and possibly do it twice anyway... once for romance and once for pictures!

or maybe a cheaper alternative for pictures... can you hire a water taxi type boat just to drive around for a while to get pictures... how much would that cost???

Thanks all for the info... I def think its something you should at least do once in your life... so really the money is not a huge issue... sounds like we will love it and possibly do it twice anyway... once for romance and once for pictures!

or maybe a cheaper alternative for pictures... can you hire a water taxi type boat just to drive around for a while to get pictures... how much would that cost???

Just take the Valporetto (water bus) you can get on and off at any stop. buy the 2 day pass and be sure to have it stamped before you get on it.

I'm a little embarrassed to ask - but do you have to tip the gondolier? For some reason, I don't think it's necessary (if they own the gondola and you're paying them 80Euro already). As much as I would love to save money, no tipping just doesn't feel right!

Thank you for your help!

Archived