"Secure Flight Program"

So if your passport shows a middle initial and your air ticket does not, you will be denied boarding? I wonder how strict this is.

We always try to use our full name for all documents, put I just had to double check if our tickets have the middle initial, I know our passports do. That would really suck being denied boarding because of the middle inital.

Below is what I found under the FAQ's at the TSA's Secure Flight. Looks like a middle initial /name will not cause a problem.

When does the full name requirement go into effect? When MUST my airline ticket match the name on my ID exactly?

Secure Flight requires that domestic aircraft operators request and collect full name as of May 15, 2009, and date of birth and gender as of August 15, 2009 for their domestic flights. For international flights, full name, date of birth, and gender must be requested and collected as of October 31, 2009. TSA has built some flexibility into the processes regarding passenger name accuracy. For the near future, small differences between the passenger’s ID and the passenger’s reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, should not cause a problem for the passenger. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their ID and their travel information.

Looks like it would be a good practice to have the name used for the flight reservation match the ID planning to use for boarding.

I started leaving off my middle initial because it wasn't consistently asked for when booking flights and such. Sometimes you have to say you are MaryJ for ex, because there is no space for a middle initial, just first and last names. I think my passport does have the initial though.

Unfortunately this will only give job oportunities to more TSA staff, causing more issues for honest travellers and nothing to deter terrorists.

My name is hyphenated and with some airlines it somes out with only one part of my last name as their system does not accept such names. Let's see if the airlines change their software to accomodate us.

Sorry, but I just had to vent.

Below is what I found under the FAQ's at the TSA's Secure Flight. Looks like a middle initial /name will not cause a problem.

When does the full name requirement go into effect? When MUST my airline ticket match the name on my ID exactly?

Secure Flight requires that domestic aircraft operators request and collect full name as of May 15, 2009, and date of birth and gender as of August 15, 2009 for their domestic flights. For international flights, full name, date of birth, and gender must be requested and collected as of October 31, 2009. TSA has built some flexibility into the processes regarding passenger name accuracy. For the near future, small differences between the passenger’s ID and the passenger’s reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, should not cause a problem for the passenger. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their ID and their travel information.

Looks like it would be a good practice to have the name used for the flight reservation match the ID planning to use for boarding.

I hope before they decide to strictly enforce this someone takes a good look at things!

I do not have a middle name/initial on anything but DH has a very common name and always uses his middle initial. I booked flights online recently (AA) and they ask only for first & last name.

His passport shows his full middle name (but he signs everything with only the initial) because that's what the original paperwork asked for.

How is he supposed to get his ticket & ID to match exactly?

I just booked online air for us this morning. Our middle names were not even asked for. Am not worried. The TSA tends to do what they do and no two times is it ever the same.

I just got off the phone with a Southwest Airlines rep. I mentioned the issue with full name being required by TSA. She told me that TSA is converting carrier by carrier and they haven't gotten to Southwest yet. She said Southwest will make an announcement when TSA gets around to dealing with them.

I'm skeptical. I have several upcoming flights booked and it makes me a little nervous. Thankfully, I have a qualifying picture ID that matches the airline reservation and that should get me on the planes for the near future.

I just tried to book a flight with my full name (Southwest doesn't have a "space" for the middle name in their on-line reservation system, so I crowded it in with my first name separated by a blank). But, the reservation system rejected it because it didn't match my Rapid Rewards account (Southwest's frequent flyer program).

I can see this becoming a real mess in the not-too-distant future.

I agree. I think this will be a nightmare. I just checked my passport and driver's license. They both contain my full name, including full middle name. I never us my middle name, only middle initial. Our next booked cruise has only first and last names. Our whole reservation, including air, was done through a TA so I can foresee a problem.

Just another thing to worry about. I'll have to e-mail TA and see if she feels we should change the booking.

%$&^#$%:D

Archived