Don't look now, but oil.....

is creeping up again...Friday passsed the $55 dollar a barrel mark.

Seems the US dollar (on which oil prices are based) is gaining in strength versus other currencies and the US economy may be finding the bottom.

I almost dread the CC posts that will surely begin when the dreaded phrase

"fuel surcharge" again rears its ugly head.

AAA told me Friday that the prices will go up over the summer and then fall again after school gets here- because of summer travel. As long as it's just 2.00 a gallon I'm not going to complain - if it reaches 3.00 or over - it's time to drill in the U.S.

Ha! $2.00 a gallon, it was hovering around $2.20 and the last few days has shot up to $2.50.

You can thank your state taxes for that. Here in NJ it's around $2.00 per gallon.

Try the taxes here in Ca we are at 2:50 and you can bet more than 50 cents of that is taxes.

I just bend over grab my ankles and tell the government to have at it!!!

We were just in California last weekend and noticed how high the price of gas is there. It's also extremely high in New York. All thanks to the gas taxes.

AAA told me Friday that the prices will go up over the summer and then fall again after school gets here- because of summer travel. As long as it's just 2.00 a gallon I'm not going to complain - if it reaches 3.00 or over - it's time to drill in the U.S.

Just paid $2.39 today. And I was just saying yesterday, "Wasn't it just $1.99?" YEESH.

Diesel ranges from $2.49 to 2.89 per gallon in Western PA. 47 cents of that is state tax I believe. No wonder that I don't drive nearly as much as I used to. Far as I'm concerned, we ought to be drilling here right now. They can drill in my back yard for all I care. Stop sending the money overseas.

I always get a big kick out of how little most people know about what comes from oil, most people realize you get asphalt, tar, gas, kerosene, diesel, and lubricating oils. Very few people have any idea that chemicals from oil are how we make plastics, many pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and lots of other things. There has never been a decent, inexpensive plastic that doesn't use oil products.

We live in NY, 1.5 miles from the NJ border. There are no gas stations left selling gas with 3 miles of us (in NY). Hooray for Rt. 17.

There is one station about five minutes from us charging $1.98 for regular. They are the cheapest that we have found around here.

Prices always go up as the summer travel season approaches. That said, prices here in the Boston area have gone up about $0.10 :eek: in the past week to $2.09. (average)

When the prices go up.................. I'm really glad I drive a hybrid!! :D :D

Went to do my charity work Tuesday morning, gas was $1.89. Came home Tuesday afternoon--$1.99.

Friday went to the store--$1.99. Came home--$2.09. Went out to dinner--$2.19.

I guess they had such a good time at breakfast marking it up a dime, decided at lunch another dime wouldn't hurt.

You can bet June 15 or so, RCL will be enacting the fuel charge again. I think they are the only one with it at $60 benchmark. Others are $65 and $70.

Tucker in Texas

DOes anyone know how they would institute the surcharge if used again? We have already booked and paid in full our July cruise. Lets say the put in into effect before July1. Would they charge us more? Or are paid cruises exempt?

I just don't get why gas stations are allowed to hike prices like they do but reduce them so slowly.

Someone needs to regulate what those thieves do.

The individual gas station owners do not set the prices. It's all about supply and demand. Your anger would be better directed at the corrupt politicians. If they really cared about the price of gas at the pump they would eliminate the gas taxes.

Because we are considering a second cruise to AK right after the Serenade, and don't really want a B2B... So I read the Princess policy on oil price changes etc... Not too keen on the idea of possibly having a surcharge added up to the day we sail because the oil price goes up...

Still looking at both Princess and Celebrity for the second cruise.

Gas here has been around $1.90 but I haven't bought any in several days so will see where it is today as I go care for the cattle and drive back home.

They was turmoil the last time. So Bookings made after a certain date in 2008 had a clause included that allowed RCI to add the fuel surcharge. If you are paid in full, you may or may not have that clause in your contractual agreement...Not a lawyer (although I would play one on TV if they pay was right) so cannot even venture a guess on a good answer.

DOes anyone know how they would institute the surcharge if used again? We have already booked and paid in full our July cruise. Lets say the put in into effect before July1. Would they charge us more? Or are paid cruises exempt?

From what I am remembering if oil gets to $70 a barrel then they can/will re-enstate the surcharge. What I can not remember is if that $70 a barrel has to be for 30 days consectitively. Does anyone remember that?

Archived