Don't look now, but oil.....

DOes anyone know how they would institute the surcharge if used again? We have already booked and paid in full our July cruise. Lets say the put in into effect before July1. Would they charge us more? Or are paid cruises exempt?

I'd be willing to bet that paid cruises are not exempt.

Below is a section about fuel supplements from their website. This pertains to dates they would be measured in relation to REFUNDS because the prices were going down (this was dated October 24, 2008). One MIGHT be able to assume they'd use the same dates for reimplementation of the fuel supplement.

"The dates on which the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel will be measured, and the quarters during which refunds could apply are:

Fuel Price Determination Date

Quarter of Possible Fuel Supplement Refunds

December 18, 2008

First quarter 2009

March 18, 2009

Second quarter 2009

June 17, 2009

Third quarter 2009

September 17, 2009

Fourth quarter 2009

December 18, 2009

First quarter 2010

March 18, 2010

Second quarter 2010

June 17, 2010

Third quarter 2010

September 17, 2010

Fourth quarter 2010

We will continue to closely monitor the movement of global fuel prices and recognize that an upturn in those prices could necessitate the reinstatement of a fuel supplement."

SO, since my cruise begins on December 1, I'm hoping that on the measurement date of September 17 will decide whether or not I'm getting a surcharge. But this is pure conjecture on my part.

Oh well, it's only money. :D

--Michael

PS Oops, looks like someone else and I went to the same page. Sorry for any duplicative information.

so dh and I are thinking about booking a Canada/New England cruise for September. If we book it now and fuel surcharges are reinstated will we be exempt since we booked before????Should I go ahead and book it now???

From my understanding of the various cruiselines statements ...the way each worded the statement...would be if the surcharge is re-established anyone that has a cruise booked could be liable for the surcharge fees.

From my understanding of the various cruiselines statements ...the way each worded the statement...would be if the surcharge is re-established anyone that has a cruise booked could be liable for the surcharge fees.

I agree with you. Everything you read from RCI says they have the right to reinstate it and nothing says if you have booked/paid for your cruise you would not have to pay it. It is your basic CYA statement so people can't come forth like they did before when they first put it in saying "if I had known you were going to "raise" my fare, I wouldn't have booked" or "I had a contract for x amount of money for the cruise and now you are raising it and I don't have the option of cancelling and getting my money back." Fair warning has been given.

Tucker in Texas

Archived