Don't look now, but oil.....

I guess I am not alone that fuel prices going up makes me nervous about RCL's fuel charges being reinstated. We have several cruises already booked. I just checked their site and found:

"We reserve the right to impose on any existing booking or new bookings (whether paid in full or not) a supplement for fuel or other matters without prior notice as provided in our Passenger Ticket Contract."

So I guess it doesn't matter paid already or not!

Oh, I found the rest of the fuel story from RCL's site:

"We reserve the right to reinstate fuel supplement charges if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65 per barrel, on the quarterly milestone dates mentioned in the company's October 24, 2008, press release."

The milestone dates part is confusing, though. Can anyone else interpret?

We were just in California last weekend and noticed how high the price of gas is there.

And you didn't even contact us?? Please don't let that happen again, Tony!

According to their original notice when they stopped charging the fuel surcharge was they had the "right" to reinstate it if the price of a barrel of West Texas crude was selling at $60 or more on the quarterly dates of around March 18, June 18, September 18, December 18. I think it appears in the small, fine print of the "contract" or "invoice."

Before, when they put it in, they did make those that had already booked and paid pony up the surcharge. However, either the Florida Attorney General (who I think was very instrumental in getting it removed when oil prices fell) or the outrage of passengers had them withdraw the charge for those that were paid up in full. I'm not sure about the ones already booked but not paid.

Tucker in Texas (due to go out November 29 and has resigned herself into paying an additional $208)

Because we are considering a second cruise to AK right after the Serenade, and don't really want a B2B... So I read the Princess policy on oil price changes etc... Not too keen on the idea of possibly having a surcharge added up to the day we sail because the oil price goes up...

Still looking at both Princess and Celebrity for the second cruise.

Gas here has been around $1.90 but I haven't bought any in several days so will see where it is today as I go care for the cattle and drive back home.

In CA it is getting close to 2.40 a gallon. Gas is never cheap in this state.

On your Alaska cruise, Princess did a major price drop on ours. I was doing single but Rich decided to go. Managed to upgrade to a mini suite, get his air and get 200.00 back. Called just as the price dropped. Single supplement on Princess with a balcony is twice the price so I knew calling the cabin would not cost more. Being able to upgrade, get the air and still get money back was nice.

On your Alaska cruise, Princess did a major price drop on ours. I was doing single but Rich decided to go. Managed to upgrade to a mini suite, get his air and get 200.00 back. Called just as the price dropped. Single supplement on Princess with a balcony is twice the price so I knew calling the cabin would not cost more. Being able to upgrade, get the air and still get money back was nice.

Earlier this week in Orlando it was $1.99. Now its 2.15 a gallon for regular.

2.09 in Pittsburgh. I hope it doesn't go over $70 a barrel. They already took my fuel surcharge off (I booked in August for a July 09 cruise). I hope they don't add it again.

The individual gas station owners do not set the prices. It's all about supply and demand. Your anger would be better directed at the corrupt politicians. If they really cared about the price of gas at the pump they would eliminate the gas taxes.

So in the am gas can be one price, and then in the evening they can raise it 10 cents?

They've paid for the gas in the tanks, already. Their prices should reflect that. They are raising the price on what they have on hand based on a price after they've had a delivery.

robbery.

Went to do my charity work Tuesday morning, gas was $1.89. Came home Tuesday afternoon--$1.99.

Friday went to the store--$1.99. Came home--$2.09. Went out to dinner--$2.19.

I guess they had such a good time at breakfast marking it up a dime, decided at lunch another dime wouldn't hurt.

You can bet June 15 or so, RCL will be enacting the fuel charge again. I think they are the only one with it at $60 benchmark. Others are $65 and $70.

Tucker in Texas

Why don't you report them. There is a Federal law that only allows them to change the price of fuel only once in a 24 hour period.

WTI Futures were at 58.30 at market close on Friday - up almost 3.4%. They will jump again over Memorial Day, if not before.

It's all a matter of supply and demand, and it reacts to a lot of different outside forces. I would expect that the prices have been low for a sufficient number of months for the cruiselines to buy contracts at a more reasonable price.

WTI Futures were at 58.30 at market close on Friday - up almost 3.4%. They will jump again over Memorial Day, if not before.

It's all a matter of supply and demand, and it reacts to a lot of different outside forces. I would expect that the prices have been low for a sufficient number of months for the cruiselines to buy contracts at a more reasonable price.

Regardless...they will slam fuel surcharges anyway.

Great source of revenue.;)

Not to be contrary, the dollar has been moving up as the rest of the world's economy slows even more than ours.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a stronger dollar means lower oil prices. That was one of the problems when oil was ridiculously high, the dollar was weak whic added to the problem.

Oh, I found the rest of the fuel story from RCL's site:

"We reserve the right to reinstate fuel supplement charges if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65 per barrel, on the quarterly milestone dates mentioned in the company's October 24, 2008, press release."

The milestone dates part is confusing, though. Can anyone else interpret?

That was the old policy but they terminated that policy some time ago.

Pretty cool on the price drop. Seems like the one we are looking at is one of the highly discounted specials they are offering at this time. It is still all up in the air...who knows what we will end up doing. If I can get it set up for DD to hang out at the end of the cruise with her cousins in Anchorage then we will end up on Princess. Probably in a Balcony or Suite cabin.

Shocked when I got gas today... $2.09 /gallon at one of the lower priced places I pass on the way to and from the ranch. The low price leader near here, well I will check it out tomorrow since I need gas again already. It sure is going up quickly. Apparently Natural Gas is spiking as well, according to folks I know in the power industry.

From what I have read the oil barrel price is $60 now not $70 when RCI will or may re-enstate the surcharge?

I have 3 short cruises booked. One in August(RCI), September (RCI) and October(Carnival). I guess I might as well expect $9 more a day for all three. Then that way I will be happy if they do not add the fee.

So in the am gas can be one price, and then in the evening they can raise it 10 cents?

They've paid for the gas in the tanks, already. Their prices should reflect that. They are raising the price on what they have on hand based on a price after they've had a delivery.

robbery.

OK, let's assume a 10,000 gallon holding tank... I own the gas station. Gas in the tank say 5000 gallons cost $1.80 with taxes... my distributor calls and tells me the current price is $2.00 with taxes. If I don't raise the price and next week I fill the tank I lost 20 cents a gallon on 5000 gallons. It is pretty cavalier of you to tell me I have to lose a $1000. This is just an example of why the world is in the crap state it is because of thinking like yours.

jc

OK, let's assume a 10,000 gallon holding tank... I own the gas station. Gas in the tank say 5000 gallons cost $1.80 with taxes... my distributor calls and tells me the current price is $2.00 with taxes. If I don't raise the price and next week I fill the tank I lost 20 cents a gallon on 5000 gallons. It is pretty cavalier of you to tell me I have to lose a $1000. This is just an example of why the world is in the crap state it is because of thinking like yours.

jc

I am not the person you quoted and I am unsure how that person meant their post. Hopefully not the way you took it. Nor am I saying I agree with anything at all...only making a statement to you. Thank you for explaining this to us. I have never thought of it that way. I truly do appreciate you explaining it. It would be very unfair for anyone to lose money on their product.

The U.S. Dollar Index can have an effect on oil prices, right now it is trending down so oil prices will marginally increase. The switch over to summer gas has been well under way and we are entering the peak driving season, although I wouldn't expect total miles driven this summer to have much, if any growth at all over last year and I certainly believe gasoline consumption will be not as great as the past few years but, we will see. Prices may be somewhat higher than what we have been used to for the next few months.

so dh and I are thinking about booking a Canada/New England cruise for September. If we book it now and fuel surcharges are reinstated will we be exempt since we booked before????Should I go ahead and book it now???

Fuel Supplement Information

December 5, 2008, Update

We have suspended our fuel supplement for Royal Caribbean International sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, anywhere in the world.

The decision reflects the recently sustained lower price of fuel.

Effective Monday, December 8, guests making new bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, will not be charged the fuel supplement.

Guests already booked on sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, will receive a refund of any fuel supplement paid, as follows:

• Guests with existing bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, and who are now paid in full, will have the supplement automatically refunded to them in the form of an onboard credit during their sailing.
  • Guests with existing bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, and who are not yet paid in full, will have the supplement automatically removed from their outstanding balance.

We reserve the right to reinstate fuel supplement charges if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65 per barrel, on the quarterly milestone dates mentioned in the company's October 24, 2008, press release.

We announced on October 24, 2008, that no fuel supplement would be charged for new bookings made on or after November 10, 2008, for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010, unless there is an upturn in fuel prices. Today's announcement does not affect those previous terms.

Fuel Price Determination Dates

December 18, 2008 First quarter 2009

March 18, 2009 Second quarter 2009

June 17, 2009 Third quarter 2009

September 17, 2009 Fourth quarter 2009

December 18, 2009 First quarter 2010

March 18, 2010 Second quarter 2010

June 17, 2010 Third quarter 2010

September 17, 2010 Fourth quarter 2010

This is the link they use to determine the price per barrel for oil: http://www.uprr.com/customers/surcharge/wti.shtml

Archived