Santorini

calvin81

I have been doing some research on our upcoming ports and according to some reports on the Tripsdvisor forums, this port can be quite crowded. It was suggested we do a ship's excursion to avoid some of the lines for the cable car up from the port to Fira. Can anyone share some firsthand experiences on this? It seems like a lot of money to spend ($109 each) to avoid some lines, when we aren't interested in being part of a tour. There are two other huge (+2500 passengers each) ships also in port that day. Does Oceania come to the port below Fira or at the ferry port at Athinios? Just how bad do the lines get to take the cable car back down when it's time to get back on the ship? If we don't take the ship's excursion when might we expect to get off a tender? The itinerary says we'll be in port from 8 to 6, but could we maybe not get off until 10 or later?

I have been doing some research on our upcoming ports and according to some reports on the Tripsdvisor forums, this port can be quite crowded. It was suggested we do a ship's excursion to avoid some of the lines for the cable car up from the port to Fira. Can anyone share some firsthand experiences on this? It seems like a lot of money to spend ($109 each) to avoid some lines, when we aren't interested in being part of a tour. There are two other huge (+2500 passengers each) ships also in port that day. Does Oceania come to the port below Fira or at the ferry port at Athinios? Just how bad do the lines get to take the cable car back down when it's time to get back on the ship? If we don't take the ship's excursion when might we expect to get off a tender? The itinerary says we'll be in port from 8 to 6, but could we maybe not get off until 10 or later?

I think you would be foolish to pay that much money, unless the tour takes you to other places in the island. If all you want to do is stroll (and shop) in Fira then you can do this on your own very easily. It is a pleasant and stress free way to spend a few hours just wondering and enjoying the views.

You'll be off by 9 but there may be line to go up; so go a little later or take the donkeys up (going down with the donkeys is more dangerous).

You really cannot spend any more than 4 or 5 hours up there anyway (even with lunch) so you can head back well before your 6 PM departure.

If you want to go further afield, that may be a different matter.

Enjoy - it is my favorite Greek Island for the setting.

Just IMO.

We were there in September, with several huge ships, but check the times they will be in port; it makes a big difference in the lines. The huge MSC ship left at 2 PM while we were having our lunch in Oia, so when we descended via the cable car at 5:15 PM there absolutely was no line whatsover.

We also were in port officially from 8 to 6. The ship first tendered the tour people in at Athinios port, then about 20 minutes later, tendered people into Fira port. Yes, there was a line for the cable car, but it moved fast and it took 40 minutes total. I wish it had not, but we still had plenty of time to tour the wonderful Museum of Prehistoric Thira and rent a car to take our time visiting Oia and the northern end of the island, plus shop in Fira at the end of the day.

Thanks for the advice. I was scared there would be lines of over an hour and we'd be forced to walk down amidst the donkey droppings to make the departure time :rolleyes:. I will check the departure times for the other cruise lines -- that could make a big difference as well.

We were there in July, 2008 and the cable car line was not bad-we had to wait for like 5 minutes-not bad. Being on a smaller ship like the Oceania got you in and out faster. You can walk up and down and skip the cable car, but only the stout hearted, as the mules and there droppings go basically the same path!!

A little hint on the tour times-when they say be there at 8:30 AM, be there 5 minutes early, as they are walking down the stairs by then. So much better than the big ships when they said your tour time was

8:30 AM and you did not get out of there until 9AM+.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of those who are partial to Sanorini, I find it to be one of the most overrated stops on a Med cruise. There is no doubt that the setting can take your breath away. The views from the harbor and from the town itself are, beyond doubt, among the loveliest you will ever see. Assuming favorable weather, tendering from or to the ship is pleasant in every way.

Now the howevers:

You can take the donkey up to the town; your call. You can take the cable car up which is not inexpensive, but usually can be done without a wait longer than 1/2 hour (and often even less). To return to the ship, you can walk down the donkey path (paved and surprisingly long), but it's not too smart to do that (I have done it at night, which was even less smart) or you can take the cable car. Should lots of passengers from the ships docking that day be leaving within say an hour of each other, the cable car wait can be daunting. I've waited for at least 1.5 hours. In the hot sun of July or August.....

If your time allows, taking the public bus to other towns (think Oia) can be pleasant. But if your time is in the range of say a six hour stop, you can easily spend much of it getting to and from the town, with little to show for your efforts, but the opportunity to browse, wander by a considerable number of souvenir and jewelry shops and make the trips up, down and then the tenders.

But if you have a full day, you can either travel by bus, as noted, or engage one of the numerous local tour companies in the town to provide sightseeing options for you.

Santorini is picture postcard beautiful, but as the expression goes, there is no free lunch.

After reading several posts on the Santorini forum about the donkeys we have decided against using them as transportation. We hope to take a taxi or bus to Oia as we have heard the town is very scenic and photography is one of our greatest pleasures in travel. Hopefully the lines for the cable car aren't too long when we arrive, as the MSC ship arrives at 8:30 with its potentially thousands of passengers. But we will gauge our time in Oia based on how long it takes to get there. The MSC ship leaves at 2 and the Crystal ship arrives at 2 (thanks so much for the advice Pam on looking up the other ships' times!) so the cable car down from Fira shouldn't be crowded late afternoon for us. Anyone recall how long it takes to get to Oia from Fira in a taxi? I imagine waiting for a bus would just eat up more time.

Calvin, with the ships' schedules you mention for your day in port, it sounds very similar to ours last September. So expect a bit of a wait for the cable car up, but no wait for the cable car down.

It's about a 15-minute car ride from Fira to Oia (at least the way I, an ex-New York City dweller, drives).

If you have the time, maybe at the end of your afternoon, I highly recommend a visit to the Museum of Prehistoric Thira near the bus station in Fira, which provides a wonderful chronological story of what is known about the people of Akrotiri. With the Akrotiri excavations closed indefinitely, it is the best place (other than the much smaller but lovely exhibit at the National Archaelogical Museum in Athens) to see the marvelous wall paintings and other artifacts of these mysterious Aegean peoples. Also, great a/c and bathrooms.

I have been to Santorini via Oceania twice. Once in July and once in August. The first time I did a shore excursion that went to a winery on one side of the island and Oia on the other. The second time we went straight to Oia and had a perfect day. We used the cable car both times and do not not remember a long wait. I would recommend it. Sit facing the beautiful views as you go up or down. Once off the cable car, walk to the main street and head to the bus station. Buy tickets at a little booth and ask somene for help if needed for the bus to Oia (pron. eee-ah). The bus lets you out at the foot of the town. Wonder in to the great ocean view and start walking.The view to the right is spectacular. The shops are more expensive than Fira but believe it or not, less than the Plaka in Athens.

Save time for an expensive iced coffee in an outdoor cafe and look out on your ship in the distance below. Absolutely gorgeous! Be sure to head back to catch your bus in plenty of time to board your ship. It is not a short drive...

Last June we were in Santorini with three large ships and one small ship in port. After standing in line for the cable car for over an hour in the hot sun, we chose to walk down. The walk was easy. You could dodge the poop piles. What was bad were the donkeys without riders walking back up the hill. They constantly brushed against you. They were wet and smelly. Good Luck!

I know the donkeys are smelly and probably very dirty!!!! but we took them up instead of the cable car. It was one of the highlights of our trip!! I've never laughed so much in the 10 or 15 minutes it takes to get to the top!! Definitely would not walk that path!!! Not only will the smell get you, the donkeys seem to delight in crowding the walkers out!

As to getting back down on the cable cars - the day we were in Santorini there were several cruise ships there and we waited an hour and a half for the cable car. Make sure you plan lots of time to get down BUT I concur with the others Oia is well worth the drive.

On our Oceania stop in Santorini, there was another large ship in port that was also tendering its passengers. Most from the other ship seemed to be going to the other port since it had road access for busses to pick up the excursionists. Oceania seemed to be tendering its passengers to the Fira docks. We had no line-up at the cable car going up to the town. Yes, make sure you take advantage of the view by riding with your back to the cliffside. The cable car was donated by a shipping magnate. The profits go to the free medical clinic. We used a tour operator who is also a wedding photographer. He met us and took us in his van to the places he uses as backdrops for his shooting including Firostefani, various places in Oia, pointed out some various sites including where some movies were shot (Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants???) to a winery overlooking the caldera, a black sand beach and up to the highest point on the island where there is a monastery and a radar installation. We stopped also at a vineyard where we learned that the vines are coiled on the ground rather than strung up on arbors. There are no vermin to eat the grapes and the system reduces moisture loss. At the end he gave us CDs of the pictures he'd taken of our days' events. He dropped us off close to the Prehistory Museum by 4 pm. We had time to take in the museum and browse the shops. There was no line up at the cable car going down. Note that we opted to skip lunch and leisurely sips in cafes which chew up time. According to other posts here, sounds like we lucked out as far as the cable car is concerned.

What to do in Santorini??? First of all do not take any tours at all. The cable runs well and you can get on. Second just look around the little town at the top and then go to the bus stop and to to the end of the Islane called Oia. Walk around this beautiful town and also then you might want to climb down and have lunch at one of the little dining places. Then take the bus back to Thira or take a cab both ways. Either way you are saving money. This is always the best way to see the town.

On our Oceania stop in Santorini, there was another large ship in port that was also tendering its passengers. Most from the other ship seemed to be going to the other port since it had road access for busses to pick up the excursionists. Oceania seemed to be tendering its passengers to the Fira docks. We had no line-up at the cable car going up to the town. Yes, make sure you take advantage of the view by riding with your back to the cliffside. The cable car was donated by a shipping magnate. The profits go to the free medical clinic. We used a tour operator who is also a wedding photographer. He met us and took us in his van to the places he uses as backdrops for his shooting including Firostefani, various places in Oia, pointed out some various sites including where some movies were shot (Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants???) to a winery overlooking the caldera, a black sand beach and up to the highest point on the island where there is a monastery and a radar installation. We stopped also at a vineyard where we learned that the vines are coiled on the ground rather than strung up on arbors. There are no vermin to eat the grapes and the system reduces moisture loss. At the end he gave us CDs of the pictures he'd taken of our days' events. He dropped us off close to the Prehistory Museum by 4 pm. We had time to take in the museum and browse the shops. There was no line up at the cable car going down. Note that we opted to skip lunch and leisurely sips in cafes which chew up time. According to other posts here, sounds like we lucked out as far as the cable car is concerned.

Can you post his contact info and give us an idea of the price he charged ?

Santorini was hands down was one of my all time favorite port adventures. Don't worry so much about the line up for the cable car, it will totally be worth it to see the island.

After riding the cable car up, my husband, two sons and I walked into a car rental agency off the main streets in Fira and rented a car for about $35 euro and were given a local map . First we drove to the black beach, the red beach(you must must go to it, so beautiful and the walk there from the parking lot is breathtaking), the oldest church on the island & walked around. Next we drove some more & happened upon an incredibly cute 17th century village called Megalochori that had mostly locals. Wow, we enjoyed a totally amazing lunch at a Taverna in the little cobblestone center square of the charming village. We weren't sure what to order and just told them to bring us their best and boy, was it good!!! My favorite was a dish I'd never have thought existed, it was fresh feta cheese, coated in sesame seeds, deep fried, and drizzled with honey. Amazing!!! The local wine was quite nice too. Megalochori was such a great little place to just walk around in wonder and have the streets mostly to yourself, I highly recommend it!

Next we headed to Oia, ps -driving a car there is not for the faint of heart but my husband did the driving and grew up in rural area of canada driving through ice and snow and also is a private pilot as well as having good eyesight and in his early 40's. There are no guardrails and you share the road with donkeys, horses, tourbuses, and micro cars but boy is it breathtaking scenery. And truthfully, I think the small cars are actually safer to be in than those tall and enormous tour buses. Oia as expected was amazing! We walked all through the town and ooheed and aahed before getting back in the car and heading back to port. Turning in the car was low hassle, they didn't even charge for gas and we had only a short wait to get down the cable cars again and lucked out with timing for the tender and made it back to enjoy dinner on the ship too.

YOu are going to LOVE Santorini, especially if you take the less chosen path and are not afraid of heights or roadways on cliffs. The views are spectactular and the food and wine is awesome.

happy travels,

Kim

I know everybody will tell you that you have to visit Oia but the more deserted countryside 17th century village of Megalochori is great for an amazing lunch and for photo ops as it is WAY less touristy so the streets are almost deserted and the little taverna in the center square of the village will give you an authentic Santorini culunary experience.

Best,

Kim

100_9373.jpg.06a339348e6f09ac64cd8dee032244e9.jpg

100_9301.jpg.af4c7b459b904f53f1d715e9e7013bed.jpg

1539870366_2007RomanEmpiretrip-Santorini23MaxandGunnar.jpg.261743037820ae16a1dcb416cb196055.jpg

37976996_2007RomanEmpiretrip-GunnaradmiringSantorini.jpg.900208b4f9d1bd145aa21e52a16e7d18.jpgHere are my sons in Oia with it's utterly amazing cliffside view, we visited after exploring other areas of the island and then headed back to port and could not have had a more beautiful experience!

The cable car up and down the cliff is only 4 euros each way. It takes only about five minutes, and the view is scenic. Santorini is one of the most interesting towns, a highlight of your voyage. The ship will be anchored very close to the cliff, with the bow nearly touching the cliff. When we were there last October, we bought a silver mushroom shaped ring for 20 euros, its design was surely unique.

Contact Mrs Anna Vafiadou at vafiadou@otnet.gr and ask for Nikos as a guide. You can also contact through santorinidaytours.com. They charged 125E for the 4 of us though we could have fit another couple or two in the van. One key thing here is to look for and/or wait for a person at the cable house exit holding a sign with your name on it. We missed this person and wasted almost an hour of touring time until we reconnected. This person had to lead us to the parking lot where the van was. If these addresses don't show up because of admin editing, e-mail me at conanthelibrarian5 at gmail dot com.

Happy sails!

Archived