Santorini

calvin81

Oia....pronounced EEYORE.....is easily reached by bus. Get to the top of the cable car....turn left....keep going straight....go past the main conjested shopping street and about 200 yards further on you reach the main road for vehicles. Turn RIGHT and about 400 yards on the left is the Bus Station where you board for Oia....which takes about 20 minutes.

Some lovely restaurants there and far less crowded than Santorini. We headed there first and returned to Santorini after lunch. Very hot and crowded but lots of jewellery.

Wow I actually kept on topic.

Brian

I believe Oia is pronounced "EEEE uh". We were there 10 yrs ago and it is amazing but crowded and as one poster said, the road is narrow, winding and has no guardrail. There is a very steep dropoff down, down, down the hillside. Do not consume the local wine and attempt to navigate that road. We are returning to Santorini next summer and I think we will visit Megalochori this time. The lunch there sounds wonderful.

Well smack my B** for not knowing my UHS from my elbow.

I think that in the 10 years since your visit you will findthat many improvements have been made to the road. Jean, my better half is terrified of sheer drops, a reason for NEVER doing the Amalfi drive, but she was quite comfortable with this drive.

Brian

Thira is my favorite port of the ones (maybe about 20) we've visited. As a photographer, I found Oia "EE-ah," I think) fantastic. If I ever get there again, I'd like to check out the town kimjergan mentioned. At Thira, we took the cable car up (waited about 20 minutes) and down (waited less). I was up for a donkey ride or stroll, but my husband said a big fat "NO" to both!! We rented a two wheeler ATV thingy and drove around the island. My husband absolutely loved it, although I found it a little uncomfortable!! Of course, you could rent a car as well. I don't remember how many other ships were in port that day in September, but I suspect not too many, since the cable car wait wasn't long, and Thira and Oia weren't too terribly crowded (crowded, but not too terribly!) I wouldn't pay for a tour; just leave a bit of extra time whatever you do, to make sure you get back down in time.

We were in Santorini in April of 2008. We were the only ship in port, but we had made arrangements (along with 3 other couples) for a driver. The name of the tour company was Ocean Waves. He took us everywhere. We visited a winery, had lunch at a beachside cafe. Great day. Took the cable up. No waits. Hope you have a good experience. It was beautiful.

Photographer/Tour Guide:

I'm also interested! Hope conan can post the info...sounds amazing!

I believe he did, go back and look at the top of the page, but double check the email a couple of posts down.

You're very welcome! I've been greatly assisted by others on this site and so I feel an obligation to reciprocate. If you're looking for a guide for Istanbul (is this cruise going there?) I highly recommend Ilknur (Anna) Karagaac. Her website is tourinturkey.com and is contacted by e-mail at guide@tr.net. The ladies in our party were particularly relieved to have an articulate, knowledgeable, female guide. While Levent Solmaz and Nejat ********** are excellent, they also book up quickly.

Happy sails!

You're very welcome! I've been greatly assisted by others on this site and so I feel an obligation to reciprocate. If you're looking for a guide for Istanbul (is this cruise going there?) I highly recommend Ilknur (Anna) Karagaac. Her website is tourinturkey.com and is contacted by e-mail at guide@tr.net. The ladies in our party were particularly relieved to have an articulate, knowledgeable, female guide. While Levent Solmaz and Nejat ********** are excellent, they also book up quickly.

Happy sails!

Yes, our October Celebrity Solstice cruise is going to Istanbul. I will definitely check out Anna's site. Thank you for the additional tips. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Contact Mrs Anna Vafiadou at vafiadou@otnet.gr and ask for Nikos as a guide. You can also contact through santorinidaytours.com. They charged 125E for the 4 of us though we could have fit another couple or two in the van. One key thing here is to look for and/or wait for a person at the cable house exit holding a sign with your name on it. We missed this person and wasted almost an hour of touring time until we reconnected. This person had to lead us to the parking lot where the van was. If these addresses don't show up because of admin editing, e-mail me at conanthelibrarian5 at gmail dot com.

Happy sails!

Take out the "the" ie conanlibrarian5@gmail.com

I need new glasses! Mrs Anna's e-mail address is vafiadou@otenet.gr.

Sorry 'bout that.

Going to Istanbul? Check out Ilknur (Anna) Karagaac at tourinturkey.com or write to her at guide@tr.net.

Happy sails!

Conan the librarian

Happy sails!

I overlooked these postings, asked about it, and someone was kind enough to help me out. Time to pay it forward.

• 2 years later...

Do you have the information about your guide? We are going on oceania in may 2012 and do not like ships excursions. Any ideas for Kusadasi? or Sicily or livorno? If your ship overnighted in livorno could you get transfers to florence going on first day and returning on second day?

Archived