Laundry Onboard Question

Buddy01

My DH and I have been trying to decide if we want to pack 7 days worth of clothes for a 14 day cruisetour and do laundry on the ship the day before we start our land tour or just pack 14 days worth of clothes. Any thoughts, advice, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Lynne:o

We packed about 4 days' worth for out seven-day cruise. We used the "unlimited" laundry option each day for five days...turning it in by 9am one day, then getting it back the next afternoon. The cost was $45 for the week (figure $90 for 2 weeks), and the convenience was soooo nice. Nice not to have to fool with it, and nice having clean things each day.

Dry cleaning wasn't included in the price, but the HAL Westerdam prices were closer to what you'd find at a local laundry/dry-cleaners than at a hotel. I was very very pleased with this.

For unlimited laundry, just fill out the form with the laundry bag regarding each item in the bag, keep the bottom copy, and call for it to be picked up. You do this each day. Like I said, it was great, especially traveling with kids. Since we were in the Caribbean, we sometimes went through two or three changes of clothes per person per day...casual for public spaces, beachwear, evening wear, etc.

Well worth the price.

I used the laundry in a bag option, which ranges from $12 - 20 depending on the ship. Everything you can stuff in the bag, wash and fold, although they did press some of my things, and returned some on hangers. I got a max of 22 items in the bag...others have reported as many as 42 items! There was not a laundry room on the Vista class. EM

I noticed the Statendam is in your signature, so I presume you're talking about that ship.

There's a self-service laundry on board. But I would be hesitant to advise planning on using it the last day (or two). Others will have the same idea, and it's likely to be difficult getting a machine.

Now, if you can pack so that you can do laundry the day before that, or at some very odd hours, then go ahead and plan to pack for seven days.

Dinner time, or late in the evening, the laundry isn't as busy.

Laundry is very easy to do. The front office staff has lots of quarters, the washing machine is $2.00;the dryer is $1.00. (At least, it used to be).Sea days are the busiest, supper time is the easiest. there are laudry rooms on a few decks, check out the deck plans before you go.

Do the laundry rooms close overnight, or can you do laundry in the wee hours? Are the machines bigger or smaller? It's my understanding that you have to use their marine safe laundry detergent. Does anyone know how much it is?

Thanks,

N.

Do the laundry rooms close overnight, or can you do laundry in the wee hours? Are the machines bigger or smaller? It's my understanding that you have to use their marine safe laundry detergent. Does anyone know how much it is?

Thanks,

N.

Yes, the "launderettes" close overnight. Generally speaking, they are open from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (although, apparantly, the hours of operation will vary!) The machines, which are the "stackable" type, are an adequate size. No, you do not have to use the HAL supplied laundry detergent, (for which there is no charge). You may use your own powdered detergent. However, do NOT use more than one quarter of a cup per load, as it will cause oversudsing in the washers! Finally, remember to keep the door to the launderette closed at all times when you are using the machines as it may disturb the occupants of the adjacent staterooms!

Thank you all for your replies. It will be so much easier to pack for a week than for 2 weeks!! We just have to figure out which clothes for what activity..LOL! We are in B148 on the Statendam. This is not quite across the hall from the launderette so we will take all your advice and pack for a week and do laundry or do the "bag" thing on like the 5th day out. That way we will actually pack for 8 days. Thanks again!

Do the laundry rooms close overnight, or can you do laundry in the wee hours? Are the machines bigger or smaller?

Although closed at night, the laundry room doors are not locked. I have seen them being used well into the night.

The washers are on the small side. I bring an old HAL canvas bag (the ones given out before the first port) to use as a laundry bag. When filled, that's a full load.

HAL provides the soap free of charge, but remember to bring dryer sheets if you use them.

Thank you all for your replies. It will be so much easier to pack for a week than for 2 weeks!! We just have to figure out which clothes for what activity..LOL! We are in B148 on the Statendam. This is not quite across the hall from the launderette so we will take all your advice and pack for a week and do laundry or do the "bag" thing on like the 5th day out. That way we will actually pack for 8 days. Thanks again!

There is another thread in this forum re Unlimited Laundry. HAL e-mailed me directly with answeres to my questions. Self-Service launderettes ane not available onboard the Eurodam, Noordam,Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam. All other ships, including the Prinsendam do have self-service laundry facilites available. Where there are no self-service launderettes you have the option of using the unlimited laundry or fill the laundry bag provided in your stateroom. Check out the other thread re Unlimited laundry as there are a number of postings.

Joan

Archived