What to do w/ dirty diapers when on a cruise?

travlingrlclt

Boy, y'all are making me feel selfish!

We don't bring ziplocks, we just throw them in the trash. I don't recall a situation when we had a particularly stinky one. I know that , if we needed the trash emptied, we would put it outside our door and it would usually be emptied within an hour.

Now that you are making me think about it - if we did have a stinky one, we would probably either call the room attendant or put the garbage on the balcony till we could get it handled.

We don't bring ziplocks, we just throw them in the trash. I don't recall a situation when we had a particularly stinky one. I know that , if we needed the trash emptied, we would put it outside our door and it would usually be emptied within an hour.

Now that you are making me think about it - if we did have a stinky one, we would probably either call the room attendant or put the garbage on the balcony till we could get it handled.

But then people walking by in the hall would smell it. :confused:

They make these small, scented dirty diaper bags that you tie closed and they really work. That way if it is late at night, you can leave it in your garbage can and not worry about odor in the cabin.

My oldest is 34 years old so this is coming from some years back, but my sons could clear a stadium with a dirty diaper! I think the zip lock idea is excellent, maybe even the extra tuff freezer ones!

They make these small, scented dirty diaper bags that you tie closed and they really work. That way if it is late at night, you can leave it in your garbage can and not worry about odor in the cabin.

Those are the best! I buy mine from Babies R Us and have a baby powder type scent. I try to conserve whenever possible and only use them for the stinkies, but they do work well.

Flushing any "solid waste" down the toilet will help reduce odors as well.

Good point!

I'm wondering if we could request extra (small) garbage bags from the room steward to tie smelly ones in.....do they even use garbage can liners?

:confused:

I asked our cabin steward for some extra plastic trash liners as I forgot to bring my own. We only tied up the stinky ones.

We're they small enough so that you didn't feel like you were wasting them? I would feel compelled to make sure I put enough diapers in them to reach capacity such that I wasn't being eco-unfriendly.

That's one reason why I cant see bringing Ziplocs to put dirty diapers in....

When one is generally "finished" with a ziplock, one simply need to just rinse it out and put it in recycling and let it be handled in a very "green friendly" manner.

Disposable diapers take For-ever to degrade in landfills.... If you put used diapers into a ziplock, the entire thing is going straight into a landfill and is just going to take forever to bio-degrade and the plastic will be toxic to the soil.

I do understand that stinky ones are very un pleasant to smell, but I prefer just setting the can on my balcony and letting the room steward know to check outside for it, to empty it.

If I was in an inside/oceanview cabin I would probably ask the room steward where I could drop the dirty diapers, other than leaving them in the room (explaining the smell factor).

Most garbage can liners are engineered to be more green friendly - way more green friendly than ziploc type bags. Ziplocks are engineered to absolutely be recycled.

The other reason I would not put diapers in Ziplocks is because, in my frugal mind, that is just, quite simply, a waste of good money.

Every little bit helps!

On our last cruise, we just put them in the garbage can in the bathroom, and the steward would take them away twice a day. Never was a problem...but now that I think of it, our bathroom had kind of a cabinet where the garbage can was, so that probably helped contain the stink. I think we'll probably ask for extra trash bags on this sailing just in case we get a doozy...

PLEASE don't put your trash can or your empty food tray or anything else in the hallways.

I navigate in a WC and it is bloody hard enough on a ship without that. Not to mention the other Obvious reasons.

pLEASE!!! DONT PUT YOUR TRUSH OUSIDE THE DOOR!

I agree with flushing any solid waste down the toilet. I practice that at home. In addition, I usually save small plastic bags from grocery shopping or other purchases and use them for poopy diapers. Tie up the bag with the poopy diaper tightly enough and you can't even smell it.

And yes, the stewards will clean your trash can twice a day. Even though that was his job, I tipped my steward extra in the end.

PLEASE don't put your trash can or your empty food tray or anything else in the hallways.

I navigate in a WC and it is bloody hard enough on a ship without that. Not to mention the other Obvious reasons.

pLEASE!!! DONT PUT YOUR TRUSH OUSIDE THE DOOR!

LOL

I know! I'm just the worst person ever, aren't I? I shouldn't even be allowed to cruise! Bad me! :rolleyes:

I'm new to cruising, but when we travel, I always bring plastic bags and in addition to dumping and flushing solids in the toilet, I seal diapers in plastic bags before putting it in my trash can. I do this for myself as well as for housekeeping, since I do not want my hotel room to smell like a diaper pail! In a hotel, you can often request a turndown service in the evening, and they will take out the trash then as well. I also tip housekeeping extra at hotels, and would do the same on a cruise.

We bring along the plastic bags that our newspaper is delivered within. Just the right size and if you tie in a knot just above the dirty diaper you can usually add a second dirty diaper. If the room has already been made up for the day we will then take the bag to an outside trash can that is emptied frequently. Our newspaper plastic bags are thick and colored; so there is no smell and the contents are unseen.

We bring along the plastic bags that our newspaper is delivered within. Just the right size and if you tie in a knot just above the dirty diaper you can usually add a second dirty diaper. If the room has already been made up for the day we will then take the bag to an outside trash can that is emptied frequently. Our newspaper plastic bags are thick and colored; so there is no smell and the contents are unseen.

14ersco....is that your child in that picture?

I swear I got that picture in email a few weeks ago, at the height of the swine flu blitz, with some funny caption about how this kid was "patient zero", the first person who got swine flu. I'm serious.

Is that your personal picture, or did you just decide to use it as your avatar because you thought it was funny?

Now I want to comb thru my deleted folder at work to see if I can find it.....

Archived