Where go ships dock in Istanbul?

The ship port is very centrally located on the Bosphorus just across the Golden Horn from the historic Sultanahmet area where Topkapi Palace, Aya Sofia and the Blue Mosque are located. There is a modern tram line that runs on the street parallel to the port right outside the port gates, and the convenient tram will take you in 10 minutes across the Galata Bridge to these historic sites. Stay on the tram two more stops, and you will be at the Grand Bazaar. There only is one tram line, so you cannot get lost.

Hi Cintipam,

Thanks so much for the info. It's just what we were looking for. Are all the main attractions are within walking distance of each other? We were going to get a hop on/hop off bus but it doesn't seem as though we need it. What do you think? How long does it take to visit the Mosque, Sophia and Topkapi? Do you know the admission prices?

Thank you muchly

Thank you everyone!

Again, CCers come through! That's exactly what I was looking for, and love the map and the link with information!

While everything looks closed by, I'm wondering if there are local guides available to visit the sites like Topkapi, and Hagia Sophia... I'm ok doing things on our own, but I like having the insights of a local guide... any info on that?

MC

Thank you everyone!

Again, CCers come through! That's exactly what I was looking for, and love the map and the link with information!

While everything looks closed by, I'm wondering if there are local guides available to visit the sites like Topkapi, and Hagia Sophia... I'm ok doing things on our own, but I like having the insights of a local guide... any info on that?

MC

Certainly there are guides available in you choose to hire them. Note that the Harem at the palace is only available as a guided tour (I assume this is still true.)

You can hire a guide for the day, half day or just for a specific site.

Thank you everyone!

MC

Ekol Tours is very popular on CC. http://www.ekoltravel.com We used them in Istanbul and Kusadasi. Excellent

Hi Cintipam,

Thanks so much for the info. It's just what we were looking for. Are all the main attractions are within walking distance of each other? We were going to get a hop on/hop off bus but it doesn't seem as though we need it. What do you think? How long does it take to visit the Mosque, Sophia and Topkapi? Do you know the admission prices?

Thank you muchly

Istanbul certainly is one place where you do not need a HOHO bus because, indeed, all the main attractions are very close to each other. Take the tram to the "Sultanahmet" stop, and right there you will see both the Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosque about 150 yards from each other across a lovely park area. From that park, Topkapi is just behind the Hagia Sofia, another 100 yards perhaps to the outer entrance, which goes through a large park to the Palace itself.

It's hard to say how long you need, because it depends on your interests. Topkapi has many different buildings - the Treasury is fascinating for everyone, as well, IMO, the Harem, which has a separate admission fee. I think you would need two to three hours at least, but I am a slow sightseer. The Palace costs 20 YTL and the Harem is additional. The Hagia Sophia costs 20 YTL, I believe, and 90 minutes would be sufficient for your tour. The Blue Mosque is free, of course, 30 minutes is enough, and a contribution box is placed at the exit. If you have the time, the Basilica Cistern and Hippodrome are right there as well, just across the street.

It really is a compact area, with all the attractions within one 10-minute radius. Traffic is very heavy in Istanbul, and walking is the best way to enjoy these very fascinating sights.

Istanbul was a dream destination of mine and we were fortunate to enjoy four days there before sail-away in September.

We used EKOL Travel for Kusadasi, but relied on Rick Steves' Istanbul for our time in Istanbul. Enjoy!

The Hoho bus is useful, if you're in Istanbul for a few days, because there are wonderful sites to see that aren't all in the Sultanahmet.

For instance, there's the Kariya museum (former church, now museum, wonderful mosaics dating from the middle ages) and Suleymaniya mosque, another amazing structure from the 16th century, to start. Plus Taksim and the whole area on the northern side of the Golden Horn. You also see interesting neighbourhoods and sights as you go, like the old city walls.

The Hoho bus is useful, if you're in Istanbul for a few days, because there are wonderful sites to see that aren't all in the Sultanahmet.

For instance, there's the Kariya museum (former church, now museum, wonderful mosaics dating from the middle ages) and Suleymaniya mosque, another amazing structure from the 16th century, to start. Plus Taksim and the whole area on the northern side of the Golden Horn. You also see interesting neighbourhoods and sights as you go, like the old city walls.

Wendy is certainly correct that there are interesting sites outside of Sultanahmet. If you have a few days, wandering elsewhere would be well rewarded.

The HoHo bus is one option. Another is to use the public transportation system (metro, bus, tram). This is mostly a matter of traveling style. When by myself I use public transportation, when with my wife we use the Hoho. I just wanted to point out that the transport system is easy to use there. Of course, taxis are also an option.

Note that the Harem at the palace is only available as a guided tour (I assume this is still true.)

That was the information in all the guidebooks when we visited Topkapi in May 2008, but our experience was different. At the Harem opening time, they just opened the doors and let in everyone who was standing in line. I never saw a line there again. They let us wander on our own. There was still an extra charge to visit the Harem, but no guided tour.

I have read other similar trip reports since then-- don't know if the tour is ever available, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

That was the information in all the guidebooks when we visited Topkapi in May 2008, but our experience was different. At the Harem opening time, they just opened the doors and let in everyone who was standing in line. I never saw a line there again. They let us wander on our own. There was still an extra charge to visit the Harem, but no guided tour.

I have read other similar trip reports since then-- don't know if the tour is ever available, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

No more harem guided tours, just an extra charge. (We were there in September.)

Archived