TA E-Mail Regarding Fare Refund

Happy Mother's Day to Everybody! Next Mother's Day I will be A Gram, though certainly not THE Cruisin'Gram LOL! My soon-to-be-a-dad son just told me he and his wife plan to join the wedding cruise group to celebrate their anniversary! What a GREAT Mother's Day present! He will NOT be using this TA LOL!

Because of the problems our group has had getting information - even invoices, etc. as well as getting-a-hold-of (to speak with) our particular TA and realizing (see attached) that my group is owed refunds for our fares (the credit card charges for the cruise were, indeed made by the TA and not NCL) we just sent this e-mail (below) off to the TA...

(Do I understand correctly that when using some TA's, the credit card charges are charged to your card by NCL and NOT the travel agency??? - Good info to know - BEFOREHAND - Duh.)

I have high hopes that this e-mail will get the ball rolling toward rectifying the discrepancies... before cocktail hour tomorrow (Monday) is my timeline - I WANT THIS OFF THE RADAR FOREVER! THEN we can get down to the really important stuff like shopping and getting our nails done and bachelorette parties!

Also, I would just like to briefly say that I really am happy that I 'happened upon' CruiseCritic. CC is a great tool and you CC-ers have been an invaluable resource for my cruising group and we all appreciate your kindness, patience and willingness to share your experience with us novice cruisers.

I do not plan to post anything further (answer questions) until I have received a reply... I will let you know what happens in real time.

Thanks, again!

• Dear Lxxxx:
    Hope you had a nice weekend.

It has come to my attention that the fares for our June 5th Boston to Bermuda sailing have decreased dramatically. As an example, the fare for the BC cabins in my wedding group has decreased from $1,239 to $849. Please see Attachments #1 for the NCL printout of of the original (excluding taxes and fees) $1,239 pp summary dated 04/23/09 and Attachment #2 for the NCL printout of the $849 pp fare summary dated 05/06/09. I have other documentation but have limited the number of attachments in order keep the primary focus clear:
    • the fares for the members of my wedding group (9 cabins) has decreased dramatically;
    • we paid you a substantially higher fare that what you paid NCL;
    • you represented clearly that the price Cxxxxxxxxxxxxx charged my group was the fare NCL charged;
    • Cxxxxxxxxxxxxx owes the members of my group substantial refunds.
    • Please note in Attachment #2 the "GUEST TOTAL" lines:
    • Guest Total 956.30 956.30 1,912.60 (dated 05/06/09)
    • Guest Total 1,346.30 1,346.30 2,692.60 (dated 04/23/09)
    • for a difference (REFUND) of $390 per person for the BC cabins.

Will this difference be credited to our credit cards today or tomorrow?

If I do not hear from you via e-mail before noon on Monday, May 11, 2009 I have asked my mother, Maggie Cxxxxx and my aunt, Clare Dxxxxxx to drive down to your office to discuss this matter in person. We are very busy preparing for our cruise as well as my wedding and do not wish to drive an hour down to Rxxxx XXXXXX and an hour back.

If this matter is not settled to my satisfaction before end of business Monday, May 11, 2009 I will be compelled to contact amoung others, NCL to rectify this substantial dollar issue.

Thank you.

Maggie Cate Cxxxxx

SEWAWB-0423VS0506-cbinv0508LESSIDCC-just1st3columns.pdf

? you are within the cancellation period. Its not unusual for the cruise line to cut the fare after that date for new bookings only and not refund anything to anyone so I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was no.

NCL will probably just send your back to the TA....

While reasonable people can disagree the TA probably owes you nothing....

Happy Mother's Day to Everybody! Next Mother's Day I will be A Gram, though certainly not THE Cruisin'Gram LOL! My soon-to-be-a-dad son just told me he and his wife plan to join the wedding cruise group to celebrate their anniversary! What a GREAT Mother's Day present! He will NOT be using this TA LOL!

Because of the problems our group has had getting information - even invoices, etc. as well as getting-a-hold-of (to speak with) our particular TA and realizing (see attached) that my group is owed refunds for our fares (the credit card charges for the cruise were, indeed made by the TA and not NCL) we just sent this e-mail (below) off to the TA...

(Do I understand correctly that when using some TA's, the credit card charges are charged to your card by NCL and NOT the travel agency??? - Good info to know - BEFOREHAND - Duh.)

I have high hopes that this e-mail will get the ball rolling toward rectifying the discrepancies... before cocktail hour tomorrow (Monday) is my timeline - I WANT THIS OFF THE RADAR FOREVER! THEN we can get down to the really important stuff like shopping and getting our nails done and bachelorette parties!

Also, I would just like to briefly say that I really am happy that I 'happened upon' CruiseCritic. CC is a great tool and you CC-ers have been an invaluable resource for my cruising group and we all appreciate your kindness, patience and willingness to share your experience with us novice cruisers.

I do not plan to post anything further (answer questions) until I have received a reply... I will let you know what happens in real time.

Thanks, again!

• Dear Lxxxx:

• Hope you had a nice weekend.

It has come to my attention that the fares for our June 5th Boston to Bermuda sailing have decreased dramatically. As an example, the fare for the BC cabins in my wedding group has decreased from $1,239 to $849. Please see Attachments #1 for the NCL printout of of the original (excluding taxes and fees) $1,239 pp summary dated 04/23/09 and Attachment #2 for the NCL printout of the $849 pp fare summary dated 05/06/09. I have other documentation but have limited the number of attachments in order keep the primary focus clear:
    • the fares for the members of my wedding group (9 cabins) has decreased dramatically;
    • you represented clearly that the price Cxxxxxxxxxxxxx charged my group was the fare NCL charged;

If I do not hear from you via e-mail before noon on Monday, May 11, 2009 I have asked my mother, Maggie Cxxxxx and my aunt, Clare Dxxxxxx to drive down to your office to discuss this matter in person. We are very busy preparing for our cruise as well as my wedding and do not wish to drive an hour down to Rxxxx XXXXXX and an hour back.

If this matter is not settled to my satisfaction before end of business Monday, May 11, 2009 I will be compelled to contact amoung others, NCL to rectify this substantial dollar issue.

Thank you.

Maggie Cate Cxxxxx

You are in the timeframe that you have made final payment and they will not refund you any money you need to do it before final payment. Some people make enough of a stink that they get OBC's but you agreed to the price you paid or you wouldn't be going. I do understand it is frustrating seeing the price drop and with your wedding coming up (congrats by the way) I see you would want to save all the money you can.

As I understand the issue: payment was made to the TA, not NCL and OP discovered that the amount paid to the TA was significantly more than what NCL charged. I believe that under the circumstances I would be looking for answers too, especially given the number of people in the group.

If the facts, as you have presented them, are accurate, I wish you the very best of luck because it appears that you are dealing with an unscrupulous TA. It seems as if the TA was able to get NCL to reduce the per person cost of the cruise before final payment and the TA did not pass those savings along to your group.

When you visit the TA's office, I would recommend that you insist that they show you NCL's Guest copy of the invoice/confirmation for your stateroom. Have them call NCL while you are sitting with them and have NCL e-mail the confirmation to them. It should come within a few minutes, if not immediately. This invoice will show exactly the amount (before commission) that NCL is charging the TA for your reservation. Make sure the date of the confirmation is current. The date will be in the upper right hand corner.

As a warning to all who are reading this thread, a credit card charge for your cruise should be made directly by NCL, not the travel agency. This is for your own protection. Although there is nothing illegal about the agency making the charge, if the agency should go out of business before making the payment to the cruise line on your behalf, you will find yourself in a very sticky situation.

If the charge to the OP's card had been made by NCL, the refund for any overpayment resulting from a reduction in fare would have been made directly to the OP's credit card and this whole situation would have been averted.

Again, to the OP I wish the best of luck. If the TA did, in fact, pocket the amount of the reduction, I'm not certain that there is any recourse for you if they refuse to pass the refund along to you. Unscrupulous of them? Yes. But, I can't say if it would be illegal.

As I understand the issue: payment was made to the TA, not NCL and OP discovered that the amount paid to the TA was significantly more than what NCL charged. I believe that under the circumstances I would be looking for answers too, especially given the number of people in the group.

no she paid what was the advertised amount prior to April something- read her attachment. She wants the new post cancellation date lower fare. She isn't entitled to it.

There is no dispute that NCL shows the fare as being paid. Whether the TA charged the amount or it was directly paid to NCL isn't the issue. Some TA pay net fare and keep the commission sometimes they charge on NCL's paper and NCL then pays them. There can be an issue if the TA goes out of business but as long as NCL says the fare was paid at this point its an irrelancy.

You are in the timeframe that you have made final payment and they will not refund you any money you need to do it before final payment. Some people make enough of a stink that they get OBC's but you agreed to the price you paid or you wouldn't be going. I do understand it is frustrating seeing the price drop and with your wedding coming up (congrats by the way) I see you would want to save all the money you can.

As mentioned in the other very long thread on this subject she did not see price drops for which she is not qualified she found HER OWN BILL that her TA paid for the cruise which was hundreds less pp then he charged her and he seems to be pocketing the difference.

If in fact as she mentions here all their credit cards were charged in the name of the TA agency and NOT the cruise line then that is even more severe red flag time.

I think her email should have also mentioned that she will be contacting a lawyer if this matter is not resolved to her satisfaction by tomorrow.

It is just a bloody shame that this whole mess is related to a wedding party and not just a group cruise which would be bad enough.

I really hope they do get this resolved tomorrow and I suspect they WILL have to show up in person and see the manager etc. This whole thing is such a mess.

Unfortunately while she learned a lot on CC since she came here she also has been lambasted really well by everyone as well, which is too bad.

Maggie, I hope this all works out for you and all your party. At least you know from your printout from NCL that you at least HAVE reservations and that they appear to be paid for. It COULD have been that the TA just pocketed the money and disappeared.

If the facts, as you have presented them, are accurate, I wish you the very best of luck because it appears that you are dealing with an unscrupulous TA. It seems as if the TA was able to get NCL to reduce the per person cost of the cruise before final payment and the TA did not pass those savings along to your group.

When you visit the TA's office, I would recommend that you insist that they show you NCL's Guest copy of the invoice/confirmation for your stateroom. Have them call NCL while you are sitting with them and have NCL e-mail the confirmation to them. It should come within a few minutes, if not immediately. This invoice will show exactly the amount (before commission) that NCL is charging the TA for your reservation. Make sure the date of the confirmation is current. The date will be in the upper right hand corner.

As a warning to all who are reading this thread, a credit card charge for your cruise should be made directly by NCL, not the travel agency. This is for your own protection. Although there is nothing illegal about the agency making the charge, if the agency should go out of business before making the payment to the cruise line on your behalf, you will find yourself in a very sticky situation.

If the charge to the OP's card had been made by NCL, the refund for any overpayment resulting from a reduction in fare would have been made directly to the OP's credit card and this whole situation would have been averted.

Again, to the OP I wish the best of luck. If the TA did, in fact, pocket the amount of the reduction, I'm not certain that there is any recourse for you if they refuse to pass the refund along to you. Unscrupulous of them? Yes. But, I can't say if it would be illegal.

you really don't know if this is true. All you have is half the story. I don't think there was any "refund" what appears to be is that the fare was lowered after final payment or the TA paid the cruise line Net of commissions. I do agree with you that it is better TA practice to have the charge on NCL's paper but that isn't always done for a number or reasons(some people pay cash or by check and the TA has to cash the check or issue its own in lieu of cash)...I wouldn't assume everything the posted says is true just as I don't assume everything the cruise line says is true either.

My TA just tried to do something similar to me. They charged me a price but NCL charged them a lower price. I found it on my own and before final payment but TA charged me 39$ to fix it:confused: It's too bad. I've been using this agency for years but I guess in this economy things are changing.

you really don't know if this is true. All you have is half the story. I don't think there was any "refund" what appears to be is that the fare was lowered after final payment or the TA paid the cruise line Net of commissions. I do agree with you that it is better TA practice to have the charge on NCL's paper but that isn't always done for a number or reasons(some people pay cash or by check and the TA has to cash the check or issue its own in lieu of cash)...I wouldn't assume everything the posted says is true just as I don't assume everything the cruise line says is true either.

While it is true that some agencies pay the cruise line the net due after commission instead of the gross amount, especially in a situation when the agency has received the funds directly from the client in the form of cash, a check or credit card charge by the agency, the difference between what the client is being charged and what the agency paid NCL is quite large. There are very few (if any) agencies that would qualify for a 30% commission. The numbers just do not add up.

I realize that we only have part of the story, that is why I prefaced my post with "If the facts as you have presented them are accurate". There is also the question of the reliability of seaweb.

Still, if the TA is on the up and up, he/she should have absolutely no problem with handing the OP NCL's Guest Copy of the Confirmation for all the reservations in her group.

And, as far as the agency being the one to charge the credit card, I can think of no reason why this would be necessary unless the cruise is being packaged as part of a larger vacation (air, hotels, tours, etc.) which is being arranged independently of the cruise line. IMHO, if it is simply the cruise, the cruise line should be the one making the charge.

While it is true that some agencies pay the cruise line the net due after commission instead of the gross amount, especially in a situation when the agency has received the funds directly from the client in the form of cash, a check or credit card charge by the agency, the difference between what the client is being charged and what the agency paid NCL is quite large. There are very few (if any) agencies that would qualify for a 30% commission. The numbers just do not add up.

I realize that we only have part of the story, that is why I prefaced my post with "If the facts as you have presented them are accurate". There is also the question of the reliability of seaweb.

Still, if the TA is on the up and up, he/she should have absolutely no problem with handing the OP NCL's Guest Copy of the Confirmation for all the reservations in her group.

And, as far as the agency being the one to charge the credit card, I can think of no reason why this would be necessary unless the cruise is being packaged as part of a larger vacation (air, hotels, tours, etc.) which is being arranged independently of the cruise line. IMHO, if it is simply the cruise, the cruise line should be the one making the charge.

I actually have seen commissions(profits) as high as 30% but rarely. sometimes the TA(or TA buying group) have purchased at net rates a large group of rooms if the price of the cruise goes up they can keep the whatever they collect as the difference. When they do this they do in fact put the charge through the TA not the cruise line. We really don't know enough but what I do know someone sending a email like this on Mother's day and demanding a response by COB Monday is someone I don't want to deal with. Many times TA which tend to work different hours are off Mondays. I know that there is a wedding involved and weddings are stressful but have you seen the show bridezillas? You can get a much better response without being so ....demanding.

I actually have seen commissions(profits) as high as 30% but rarely. sometimes the TA(or TA buying group) have purchased at net rates a large group of rooms if the price of the cruise goes up they can keep the whatever they collect as the difference. When they do this they do in fact put the charge through the TA not the cruise line. We really don't know enough but what I do know someone sending a email like this on Mother's day and demanding a response by COB Monday is someone I don't want to deal with. Many times TA which tend to work different hours are off Mondays. I know that there is a wedding involved and weddings are stressful but have you seen the show bridezillas? You can get a much better response without being so ....demanding.

So, it appears we are in agreement. A 30% commission (profit) on the price of a cruise is rare. I am well familiar with net rates, but from the little information we have, it doesn't look to me that that is the case here. NCL's UK site (if it is accurate) plainly shows that the fare being charged went down by $390 per person. Net fares are not normally negotiated after reservations are on the books.

If I remember the story from the original thread, it looks like the OP has been trying to speak to her TA since at least Thursday. A response within 72 business hours of the original inquiry is not expecting too much, IMHO.

In the end, I believe that if the TA is on the up and up, they should have no problem in giving the OP the reassurances that she is looking for.

So, it appears we are in agreement. A 30% commission (profit) on the price of a cruise is rare. I am well familiar with net rates, but from the little information we have, it doesn't look to me that that is the case here. NCL's UK site (if it is accurate) plainly shows that the fare being charged went down by $390 per person. Net fares are not normally negotiated after reservations are on the books.

If I remember the story from the original thread, it looks like the OP has been trying to speak to her TA since at least Thursday. A response within 72 business hours of the original inquiry is not expecting too much, IMHO.

In the end, I believe that if the TA is on the up and up, they should have no problem in giving the OP the reassurances that she is looking for.

No but NCL has liberalized its adding people to negotiated fares. Whether the person is entitled to the difference is a different issue. 72 business hours would be sometime on Tuesday if this started on Thursday....

No but NCL has liberalized its adding people to negotiated fares. Whether the person is entitled to the difference is a different issue. 72 business hours would be sometime on Tuesday if this started on Thursday....

A call to my TA regarding something of high concern not returned by the TA for 3 business days (Thursday, Friday, and Monday) does not represent an acceptable level of service. That's not even taking into account that most agencies will open for at least a few hours on Saturday.

And, as far as the negotiated fare business, I find that explanation as to what is going on here to be unlikely at best.

I, for one, am interested to hear what the TA has to say tomorrow. Hopefully, the explanation will be that the UK site is wrong. (Maybe NCL should work on fixing that "back door" into its system for US reservations.)

Thanks, again!

• Dear Lxxxx:

• Hope you had a nice weekend.

Thank you.

Maggie Cate Cxxxxx

Well the OP is at it again.The story has changed.If you will note above highlighted in black about the BC cabins...here's what she wrote on the other closed thread..............................................>>>>>>>>>>>>

MY HEAD'S ABOUT TO EXPLODE!

I tried overnight to do mock reservations in various ways using that promo code... nothing. Not recognized. I've been checking the prices daily (for folks who are waiting for a bargain fare) and the price for the BC cabing did not change in the last two or so weeks. Of course, I didn't have any promo codes to enter... so that's not a 100% indicator of anything.

HOWEVER, the BF category has been $849 for the same couple of weeks... Hmmm. That's what the 'new' fare is...

But on my E-Docs it says "STATEROOM NO: 10106 LOCATION: Deck 10 / FWD" which I found odd but CC-ers eased my mind.

It's not possible that he did a switch-a-roo and moved us from BC to BF, is there? The original cabin number wouldn't show on the E-Docs if that were the case? Would it? The bottom of the GTY barrel is Forward, isn't it? My cabin is behind the midline - it could either be called amidships or in a pinch aft, but NEVER Forward. Is the $849 just a coincidence?...............................................................................................................................

Yes the BF is $849 the BC is $1200+

Steve

no she paid what was the advertised amount prior to April something- read her attachment. She wants the new post cancellation date lower fare. She isn't entitled to it.

There is no dispute that NCL shows the fare as being paid. Whether the TA charged the amount or it was directly paid to NCL isn't the issue. Some TA pay net fare and keep the commission sometimes they charge on NCL's paper and NCL then pays them. There can be an issue if the TA goes out of business but as long as NCL says the fare was paid at this point its an irrelancy.

As a former travel agency owner, I can confirm that eveything Mr. Meyer has said is accurate.

While my agency would not have processed the credit card in this type of situation...simply because there would be no reason for my agency to pay the percentage fee the credit card company charges when the the cruise would pick it up by processing the charge directly, if we had taken the cc directly, or if our client paid by cash or check, the cruise line would have been paid the amount owed net of any commissions due our agency.

Archived