RCI ''Customer Service''

I didn't think the cockroaches or sanitizer or chocolates or extra food were worth the time it took to write a letter of complaint or the original post....

BUT..

The nut allergy and the brownie with nuts WAS and you deserve more than an apology for that, I don't know what they can do now but that was a HUGE mistake which as you point out could have brought on anaphylactic shock, which can kill if not taken care of immediately. Royal should respond to you about that for sure....glad you caught it before it was eaten...

I am not going to get into a back and forth.

Here is my last explanation - It was the combination of ALL of those things that prompted the letter to RCI.

For those of you who understand the constructive criticism and why I gave it to Royal Caribbean, thank you.:)

For those of you who don't - you too are entitled to your opinion.:rolleyes:

The problems began at the port where we were accosted by luggage handlers who were in our face and asking for tips!

Do you travel much? This is the NORMAL, everywhere a person travels. It is customary to tip if someone is handling your luggage.

The biggest one being no hand sanitizer anywhere!

This is normal also. They only pull out the hand sanitizers if there is an outbreak onboard.

While there are a lot of planned activities for small children, there is a lack of activities for the teens.

With all due respect.....don't these BIG ships cater to teenagers when it comes to activities onboard? There are soooo many things to do....I can't imaging a teenager being bored. The pool area and the bikini's should keep them occupied for the duration of the cruise, without the activities. :D

Not only is this disgusting, but it is also a HUGE inconvenience for us. Upon arriving home we had to leave all of our luggage out on the deck and go through each piece of clothing for 4 people individually and then carry each batch of clothing directly to the wash.

Disgusting, yes. Inconvenience? I don't know. Don't MOST people go through their luggage and wash their clothing after a cruise? Wouldn't you normally have to "carry each batdh of clothing to the wash"?

I'm sorry you had so many issues that bothered you.

As far as the cockroaches go....maybe next time you should take the carcass to the head housekeeper and demand fumigation.

It's funny, the first time my family saw a cockroach in Hawaii......we were startled at first....but then we all had to get a good look at it. We have video of our kids checking it out! LOL It really didn't bother us. Now, if they were all over the place....like at a motel that I stayed at about a month ago, then I would worry. The cockroaches were ALL over the place outside. My son....25 years old was picking them up and throwing them at all of us. (Yes, a very immature act for his age, but it was quite funny. :D )

Hopefully you can forget the issues, and have better times on your future cruises. :)

Unfortunately cut backs are here to stay even if the economy gets better once taken away never replaced. I do not blame the OP for being upset with some of the instances they found on their cruise especailly the brownie situation. I too would be upset with seeing the cockroaches they have been here since prehistoric times so they are not easily gotten rid of. Glad the OP did not bring them home with them. Regarding the hand sanitizers the ship must be in code red in order for them to be brought out. I diasagree with bringing the sanitzers out after code red is declared because I feel an ounce of prevention is worth passengers not getting sick. How many of you do not wash your hands when you leave the bathroom? Sanitizers is costly therefore if not in code red they will not be present. Regarding the towel animals I just completed a 14 day TA on NOS & we got the animals on the 7th night. Reason given for towels animals late in cruise is first it is time consuming for the attendents, & it is costly due to extra washing for the additional towels. Got this straight from an attendents mouth after they had a meeting regarding the stateroom rules for this cruise. We did receive turn down service at night, no longer chocolates on the pillows a service of the past.

Ice twice a day & lotion for D+, suite passengers only, robes for D, D+, suite passengers only. New ultimate diamond coupon booklet worthless for us except the 10.00 each towards internet. No more JR or Ben & Jerry's coupon they have been discontinued as well. This is just the start of the now cutbacks where they can there will be more to come. If we want to still cruise with RCI we will just have to accept the changes if not there are other cruise ships out there wanting our dollars as well.

We just go back from our first cruise on RCI's Granduer and found the customer service lacking. No one (but our Stateroom attendant, Wendy and a peer of hers) smiled or said hello even when we did. In fact in the hallways they acted like we were in the way. The Guest Desk was never helpful and often gave wrong information or shrugs. Always polite but never accurate. Even though the 15% gratuity is added for beverages I got sneered at by the coffee lady because I didn't give her an additional tip for my $3 coffee.

In fact, our credit card company just called to inform us someone stole his credit card number and expiration date, manually keyed it in at one of the ship stores to make a $200 charge. Rest assured we didn't because we knew that we no longer had the money - the only time he used the card was when they forced us to pay another $800 (which they refused to tell us why) at port at a computer that 6 employees used. Very sad!

To balance the feedback I'd say I only saw bugs on their donuts, and when I let a buffet cook know he shrugged and said they were fine. I went for the boxed cereal instead! The ship was clean in most areas and they diligently cleaned the pool at what I considered inconvient times. Bermuda was lovely and the excursions they set-up were fantastic.

I am glad you wrote them a letter because we will too.

Don't care if you respond or not, but if the One mistake was made in the dining room and it was caught by your niece the Head waiter apologized for the error and tried to make it right - what is the use of complaining? It was probably a lot more upsetting to you because it has not occurred in your presence before.

Your niece and her family have probably faced this problem a number of times and learned how to handle it without it becoming a huge dramafest. At least I hope they have. Because is she has been in such an isolated bubble to never have come close to a nut in her life, boy is she in for a rude awakening.

According to you the headwaiter took care of her service throughout the cruise - above and beyond the call to duty. I find that commendable - not a complaint to headquarters. If I were the headwaiter - I would probably be more upset about the mistake - than the girl herself and her immediate family.

I would definitely have written about the bugs. But it sounds like the passengers who experienced that problem has been compensated.

The midnight buffet as such has been gone for quite sometime. Why do people keep bringing that up as if they still expect it? If you've been watching a lot of old movie reruns, then maybe you do, but if you've cruised in the past 3 years you know not to expect one.

We enjoy towel animals as much as anyone, but some cabin attendents spend more time on other things or have problems during the cruise and cannot accomodate that every night. That is not a cut back in service, it is just a fact. To even mention it is flat silly.

About the entrees in the dining room - I enjoy the food as much as the next person, but I've never felt much need for multiple entrees or to even make an issue of it. As far as the service staff being overwhelmed, that is something we have never experienced, even on a spring break cruise. Could she just have to handle too many demanding tables? Usually the headwaiter will help when that happens. Oops, he was already helping your table.

Sorry your cruise was disappointing. I hope your next one goes much better and you get a towel animal and no 8 legged ones every night.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers — which don't require water — are an excellent alternative to hand washing, particularly when soap and water aren't available. They're actually more effective than soap and water in killing bacteria and viruses that cause disease. Commercially prepared hand sanitizers contain ingredients that help prevent skin dryness. Using these products can result in less skin dryness and irritation than hand washing.

Not all hand sanitizers are created equal, though. Some "waterless" hand sanitizers don't contain alcohol. Use only the alcohol-based products. The CDC recommends choosing products that contain at least 60 percent alcohol.

I think it is always a good idea to write letters to corporate after an experience that doesn't meet your expectations. Hospitality Companies use these critiques to make changes and know what is important to clients.

You go girl!

From the Mayo Clinic:

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers — which don't require water — are an excellent alternative to hand washing, particularly when soap and water aren't available. They're actually more effective than soap and water in killing bacteria and viruses that cause disease. Commercially prepared hand sanitizers contain ingredients that help prevent skin dryness. Using these products can result in less skin dryness and irritation than hand washing.

Not all hand sanitizers are created equal, though. Some "waterless" hand sanitizers don't contain alcohol. Use only the alcohol-based products. The CDC recommends choosing products that contain at least 60 percent alcohol.

That is interesting, but I wonder if the Mayo Clinic has their surgeons/nurses/techs use hand sanitizer before a procedure or do they have them scrub their hands with soap and water?

I got NO towel animals on my first cruise but did get them on the second. They do add a nice touch but I'll go in not expecting them. I didn't eat the chocolates but really enjoyed the turn down service and everything. All of these types of things being cutback is okay with me if the price stays the same.

Now, I'm sorry, but to all of the people who said 'cockroaches? so what', I do NOT want to see your house! :eek: Are you kidding me? I lived in Brooklyn and Miami Beach and while its hard to eradicate them I refused to just get used to them - it's disgusting and should be taken seriously at ANY desk that received the complaint. Most people are not used to seeing these bugs the way we do in Miami, so to them its the sign of ghetto and inexcusable - really!

I am in the hospitality industry. When someone holds an event at our private club, whether its for 3 people or a 300 person wedding, I treat every single guest as important. It is my work style to act as a hostess, like I am having the event at my home and each person through the door is my treasured personal guest. I smile, am gracious, take complaints with validation and express regret, even when they are a tad dramatic:cool:. I do this when I know my mom is getting her chemo, when my wonderful dog died, when I've had a spat with my sister - I do it because its my job and I take it seriously. That being said - it will not kill a front desk attendant to take a complaint for another department with sincerity and make the guest at least feel better about it. Believe me, I take complaints from people with entitlement problems and sheltered people all of the time(not saying the OP is either of these) - but I try to at least make them feel like the message will be delivered, we're sorry and I understand. To do less is bad work ethic (yes, even if you've been working for two weeks without a day off - I've done that too).

Thanks for agreeing about the customer service. My BF and I are pretty laid back and only wanted to see smiles from the crew, we weren't looking for special treatment or grandiose gestures. And despite the unfortunate $ issue and lackluster crew we probably will be glad to sail again just with another company.

It was probably pretty obvious that we were first time cruisers since we weren't sure about certain aspects of cruising, not even what we were entitled too. It just would have been nice to have a polite nod and smile once in a while or have a guest relations person say - "good question, although I do not know the answer please let me check" rather than make something up. We missed out on shopping in Hamilton, BMU because they told us the stores were open until 9pm when they really closed at 5pm.

We just go back from our first cruise on RCI's Granduer and found the customer service lacking. No one (but our Stateroom attendant, Wendy and a peer of hers) smiled or said hello even when we did. In fact in the hallways they acted like we were in the way. The Guest Desk was never helpful and often gave wrong information or shrugs. Always polite but never accurate. Even though the 15% gratuity is added for beverages I got sneered at by the coffee lady because I didn't give her an additional tip for my $3 coffee.

In fact, our credit card company just called to inform us someone stole his credit card number and expiration date, manually keyed it in at one of the ship stores to make a $200 charge. Rest assured we didn't because we knew that we no longer had the money - the only time he used the card was when they forced us to pay another $800 (which they refused to tell us why) at port at a computer that 6 employees used. Very sad!

To balance the feedback I'd say I only saw bugs on their donuts, and when I let a buffet cook know he shrugged and said they were fine. I went for the boxed cereal instead! The ship was clean in most areas and they diligently cleaned the pool at what I considered inconvient times. Bermuda was lovely and the excursions they set-up were fantastic.

I am glad you wrote them a letter because we will too.

Please tell us how you were forced to pay another $800. and why on earth you would do that if they didn't tell you why. It makes no sense.

Basically they told us pay $800 or we couldn't get on the ship. So I said, well what if we do not, will we be refunded the $1400 we thought was a full payment? They said no (okay lesson learned about buying cruise trip insurance!) So I said well if we pay $800 I assume we can get a note that we are now paid in full and will be allowed onboard. They said yes.

I asked if I got on board could I talk to the financial controller to find out more about the $800. They said yes. Well I got on board and he refused to talk to us as the ship was sailing (we were advised to seek him out after the practice drill). We continue to hear call your travel agent. So we did and she called RCI main office and they wouldn't tell her either.

We are first timers so I think our mistake was not checking behind the agent or RCI or buying some type of trip safety net. I just figured when we got back and talked to them and explained we wanted to work with them that they would be more informational. They weren't.

So yes in a way it might make no sense but I had saved for two years to pay the $1400. I wasn't about to see it being given to RCI without the services being rendered. I'll just have to work overtime to make up the additional $800 I put on my credit card. Most of our heartburn was over the nasty $ surprise and the lack of information. The time we spent together was still priceless and we weren't about to let RCI completely ruin our first vacation in two years.

Basically they told us pay $800 or we couldn't get on the ship. So I said, well what if we do not, will we be refunded the $1400 we thought was a full payment? They said no (okay lesson learned about buying cruise trip insurance!) So I said well if we pay $800 I assume we can get a note that we are now paid in full and will be allowed onboard. They said yes.

I asked if I got on board could I talk to the financial controller to find out more about the $800. They said yes. Well I got on board and he refused to talk to us as the ship was sailing (we were advised to seek him out after the practice drill). We continue to hear call your travel agent. So we did and she called RCI main office and they wouldn't tell her either.

We are first timers so I think our mistake was not checking behind the agent or RCI or buying some type of trip safety net. I just figured when we got back and talked to them and explained we wanted to work with them that they would be more informational. They weren't.

So yes in a way it might make no sense but I had saved for two years to pay the $1400. I wasn't about to see it being given to RCI without the services being rendered. I'll just have to work overtime to make up the additional $800 I put on my credit card. Most of our heartburn was over the nasty $ surprise and the lack of information. The time we spent together was still priceless and we weren't about to let RCI completely ruin our first vacation in two years.

Thanks for answering now it makes more sense. I didn't mean to sound insensitive just couldn't understand. We are long time cruisers and this sounds to me like your TA screwed up. She is responsible for straightening out this mess.Normally you wouldn't receive your cruise docs if you hand't paid in full. Keep after the TA and/or her superior until you get an answer. Glad you had a good time any way and good luck.

I'm sorry you had so many issues that bothered you.

As far as the cockroaches go....maybe next time you should take the carcass to the head housekeeper and demand fumigation.

It's funny, the first time my family saw a cockroach in Hawaii......we were startled at first....but then we all had to get a good look at it. We have video of our kids checking it out! LOL It really didn't bother us. Now, if they were all over the place....like at a motel that I stayed at about a month ago, then I would worry. The cockroaches were ALL over the place outside. My son....25 years old was picking them up and throwing them at all of us. (Yes, a very immature act for his age, but it was quite funny. :D )

Hopefully you can forget the issues, and have better times on your future cruises. :)

Amen.

All I can say is thank God I don't work for RCCL customer service. It has to be the job from h**l..

the only time he used the card was when they forced us to pay another $800 (which they refused to tell us why) at port at a computer that 6 employees used. Very sad!

This is really a puzzlement to me. In every case, your Set Sail Pass cannot be issued unless you have made full payment...how did you get your Set Sail Pass to board if you owed money for the fare? If extra money was owed and you paid it on the spot at the pier you certainly would been given a receipt...something just doesn't add up here:confused:

Yeah, I'm not quite understanding what happened there, either, cuz it says "at port" which could be any stop... at a pc that 6 employees used, which is relevant how? and they refused to tell you why you need to pony up more money?

I'm sorry, I do not yet get what happened. :confused:

Kaida - as far as your original post: Why would anyone on the ship have your credit card number? No one on board has access to that information as far as I know. So some of your problems sound very strange. Did someone make a mistake and enter the wrong number on a charge slip that ended up on your seapass account? If so, that happens frequently and is easily corrected at guest relations before the last night of the cruise, after that it is more difficult.

What kind of cruise documents did your TA provide? Could there have been some kind of major error between the TA and RCI? Like everyone else mentioned, how could cruise docs have been issued if the cruise was not paid in full? Very confusing. I hope the poster gets it straightened out and tells us what happened. Very good to know for future reference.

Regarding the extra monies that Kaida had to pay it sounds like maybe her TA booked her under a rate that she was not entitled to ie senior rate or resident rate.

Kaida, did they ask to see your passport/drivers license and then tell you that you owed the $800. Even if this were the case, I don't understand why they would not tell you why the extra money was owed....very odd.

I've sailed Grandeur 6 times since 2005, and scheduled to sail her again this year for 14 nights. She's my favorite ship, and mainly because of the crew. MY EXPERIENCE has been completely different from kaida72, as indicated by my 6 formal reviews, and those of many others. The two Grandeurs still exist, one a clean, beautiful ship with great crew, the other, dirty rust bucket with lousy food and crew. Go figure, but I'll tell you this, I know from my experience, Grandeur and her excellent crew make for a great cruise.

Regarding the extra monies that Kaida had to pay it sounds like maybe her TA booked her under a rate that she was not entitled to ie senior rate or resident rate.

Kaida, did they ask to see your passport/drivers license and then tell you that you owed the $800.

ding ding ding ding ding

Kaida, did they ask to see your passport/drivers license and then tell you that you owed the $800. Even if this were the case, I don't understand why they would not tell you why the extra money was owed....very odd.

ding ding ding ding ding

Yes, that's what it sounds like to me, too.

Another piece of the puzzle: $1400 for the five night run? Not that I've ever seen!

Now, having said that, I see that this Saturday's cruise has a Z guarantee, the cheapest kind, for $1400 for two.

kaida, what kind of cabin did you have?

Archived