~OFFICIAL~ "SPIRIT"ing to the Majestic Land of the Midnight Sun! * May 11, 2010*~

anamanxs

We are doing Orca Enterprises in Juneau, too!! We have to be there by 8:30am, but the ship docks at 7:00 so no biggie on that one.

Cool, it sounds like a lot of fun! We can't wait to see the whale's!

Ok, so I'm starting to get concerned now about being off the ship in time for our excursions. Did anyone else book independent tours in or Ketchikan? If so, what time did you book them for? Because of the short time in port, I booked the Ketchikan tour at 7:15 (ship in at 7:00). The one in Juneau is at 8:30, and we dock at 7:00, so that should be ok. Ugh...stress!

Don't Stress, the people running the excursions are usually pretty good at waiting for a minute for all the people pre-booked (at least in my experience). Also on my last cruise, if you had an early booked excursion they still let you off the ship early. They didn't need it for us, but have your paperwork showing your excursion & the time.

& on a side note, you only have 7 days left to stress, b/c once we are on the ship - it is VACATION time!!!

So much to do, so little time and then we throw away the clocks! Well sort of kind of...... As Dana Said .............. It's vacation Time!

Need some thoughts or help here........

For the Meet & Greet's: Do we want Name tags? Or some sign to identy each other. I couldn't find anything Alaska looking so I do have the doping looking Tiki thing for a table.

Thoughts, ideas????

Ok, so I'm starting to get concerned now about being off the ship in time for our excursions. Did anyone else book independent tours in or Ketchikan? If so, what time did you book them for? Because of the short time in port, I booked the Ketchikan tour at 7:15 (ship in at 7:00). The one in Juneau is at 8:30, and we dock at 7:00, so that should be ok. Ugh...stress!

In Juneau our tour is not until 10:15 & Ketchikan is 8:45 we wanted enough time to eat and get off the ship without being rushed.

Skagway we are renting a car so we can monitor our own time

Don't Stress, the people running the excursions are usually pretty good at waiting for a minute for all the people pre-booked (at least in my experience). Also on my last cruise, if you had an early booked excursion they still let you off the ship early. They didn't need it for us, but have your paperwork showing your excursion & the time.

& on a side note, you only have 7 days left to stress, b/c once we are on the ship - it is VACATION time!!!

Thanks, that's makes me feel better. Plus I realized it's a charter boat and I'm fairly certain we are the only ones on it, so they pretty much have to wait for us :)

Thanks, that's makes me feel better. Plus I realized it's a charter boat and I'm fairly certain we are the only ones on it, so they pretty much have to wait for us :)

Then don't worry, they will wait!

In Skagway, ours is the train... it will not wait, so we will have to hustle. Dynea Dave picks us up and takes to the train station and then meets us again in Fraizer. But, one good thing is that if we need to he can go tour with him first and then he will drop us at the train station for the train ride back to Skagway!

hello everyone

we have a tour on skagway with dynea dave at 7:00 i belive we are going to The Emerald Lake .

we also have one tour in ketchican with a sea plane and they were going to be near to the docks 7:30 . I think they would wait for us if they need too .

we are so ready only 3 more days.we leave on sat @ 6:40 am

wahoooooo

eva

OMG this is killing me....can we go NOW!!!!!! So very excited. By this time next week I will have at least 1 pina colada into me, pretty much unpacked as much as I can....yes I always need to unpack before I can relax.

Friends of mine just got off Liberty Saturday and they said for the muster drill you don't need to wear the life jackets anymore you don't even need to take them with you....I hope that is how it is on Spirit. Not sure if this was posted on the main boards but thought I would pass it along

Does anyone know if you can use your laptop on the cruise ship and

is it wireless and does it cost?

We took our Laptop on the Spirit's Sister ship, Legend, I used mine to upload & edit photos, as well as journal privately. I was often in the Library, aka the computer room, to see if the deal was good enough to buy internet access. It wasn't for me. I hear the internet on the ship is slow, and the price was higher than I wanted to spend (even on their specials)just to upload photos, and send an e-mail to family.

What I have read on most boards is it is better to take your laptop to a cafe & use their wifi, than to use it on the ship. But then, I haven't done that either. I would rather be exploring the port city!

EVA, We are also going to the lake, I wonder if we are all together, but Dave is taking us to the train station and then picking us after the 1.5 hr train ride and then onto the lake and Yukon - if the weather is clear; if not he said he would reverse the route. The route you go is the same as the train so he explained. I justed checked my e-mail and it does say 7:30 to meet him on the dock. I also know he has 2 vans, so you may be on the other one.

Yes, the Spirit class ships do have internet but it is very expensive, I generally buy a small package, and sometimes they run specials where if you buy time you get some free. The ports have lowered prices, if you have the time you can check there. We will probably confirm our flight from Victoria, either by laptop or cell phone.

Kim, I heard we do not have to take the life jackets anymore but we do have to attend Muster. Don't forget to meet on the aft Lido deck for a toast to Sail Away and let the party begin! Miami Vice for me PLEASE!

Don't forget to turn your cell phone off, the rumor is they eat up the minutes even if you aren't using them if they try to connect and it is roaming!

Don't forget to turn your cell phone off, the rumor is they eat up the minutes even if you aren't using them if they try to connect and it is roaming!

You are correct Annette! Make sure you have your phone on airplane mode, and turn your data services off. Data services connect even when you aren't using the phone, and roaming for data services when you don't know about it will cost you a fortune. Even though Alaska is US, depending on your rate plan you may still be roaming. Check your companies coverage map for your rate plan.

Best Advice ever (If you can manage it) - don't even turn the phone on.

My MIL & FIL are in Seattle! They already went to Pike's Market place & the original Starbucks. I am so jealous! The photos I saw have Blue skies, and puffy clouds. They had gloves on, but no hats, so it wasn't freezing cold. She said the weather was in the 50's, & yesterday they had snow/hail rain and sunshine in Seattle. So, I guess the best advice, prepare for everything. Oh man it's going to be hard to meet that weight limit with one bag.

Lucky them - wish I was there already!

I am starting panic mode, like how am I going to get everything done..... and what did I forget! List going round and round in the head. I have to get Birthday cards (boss & friends) done and Mother's Day Cards ready! Boy, this is a real sign I need a vacation!

Repacked the garment bag again last night, I would not reccomend the new rolling garment bags...... they do not hold very much at all! No problem being over weight there!

Gloves???? I have been checking accuweather and it is showing into the mid teens....celcuis

I was hoping to wear shorts while in Seattle.

My DSIL who is coming on this cruise ( first ever cruise) has to have a root canal.....she is in lot of pain. She was going to the dentist last night, I hope they where able to do something for her so she can enjoy her trip.

Gloves???? I have been checking accuweather and it is showing into the mid teens....celcuis

I was hoping to wear shorts while in Seattle.

My DSIL who is coming on this cruise ( first ever cruise) has to have a root canal.....she is in lot of pain. She was going to the dentist last night, I hope they where able to do something for her so she can enjoy her trip.

Poor thing, I hope she is OK! They can be so painful! :(

Elmer was voting for shorts also. He will probably be standing on the ship in shorts freezing saying how much he hates cold weather. But, He will be taking in every bit of the beauty of ALASKA! :D

I agree with Elmer Annette.

I am beyond excited. I just want my family to have a good time. This will be the first time 8 of us have vacationed together, my DMIL and DFIL have cruised with us once before but this time there will be 8 of us. Super excited, plus I haven't seen once set of DSIL and DBIL in a few years so excited to see them.

I am down to 3 days of work.....yesterday didn't get much of anything done....too busy surfing and day dreaming :D

For the Meet & Greet's: Do we want Name tags? Or some sign to identy each other. I couldn't find anything Alaska looking so I do have the doping looking Tiki thing for a table.

Thoughts, ideas????

I thought nametags with our cruise critic name, & our real name on them would be helpful. Mine would say grrl2grrl aka Dana.

Also, I found some Whale chalkboards about a foot long & high, from my local dollar tree - is that the kind of stuff you are looking for? I will stop by my local party supply store & see if they have anything else...

Oh, and I would not dare wear shorts in Alaska... 50 - 60 degree fahrenheit is not warm enough for me to dawn these legs. I am going to need 80 degrees... (I am planning on packing 1 pair of shorts, in case of emergency) :D

I thought nametags with our cruise critic name, & our real name on them would be helpful. Mine would say grrl2grrl aka Dana.

Also, I found some Whale chalkboards about a foot long & high, from my local dollar tree - is that the kind of stuff you are looking for? I will stop by my local party supply store & see if they have anything else...

That would be cool to set on the table at Sail Away, but don't want to over crow your bags!

I will go raid out suppy closet for name tags and see what I find! :D

I did not pack any shorts for me.... legs way to lily white!

Archived