Mariner leaving West Coast?

Recently heard that there is a possibility of the Mariner going back to the East Coast and the Radiance being moved to San Pedro. Has any heard the same?

I have absolutely NO inside information.

This is purely my opinion.

There is no way in hell that they are going to turn around and send the Mariner back to Florida when they spent SO MUCH time and energy and money getting her to the West Coast!

The Radiance will be doing some cruises out of San Diego, but I don't think that that has anything to do with the routing of the Mariner.

I have absolutely NO inside information.

This is purely my opinion.

There is no way in hell that they are going to turn around and send the Mariner back to Florida when they spent SO MUCH time and energy and money getting her to the West Coast!

The Radiance will be doing some cruises out of San Diego, but I don't think that that has anything to do with the routing of the Mariner.

I must agree. I think Mariner will be on the West Coast for at least a year or two.

The Mariner will be staying on the West Coast. Maybe she will do a trip or 2 to Hawaii. That would be a fantastic change of pace from the Mexican Riviera trips.

I would second that!

Even a few 3/4 day trips would be good.

Dave

I also believe that Royal Caribbean will work on changing Mariners itineraries for 2010 and 2011. Some Hawaii runs, even Northwest runs in August and September would be great.

I don't recall the Vision running just the Mexican Riviera 12 months of the year, when she was on the West Coast.

Rick

I really hope this is a rumor--Hope someone can track the source & verify one or the other. Guess we'll hold off booking our air for awhile to see what happens.. To orignal poster--where did you recently hear this info?

If Radiance moves from San Diego to San Pedro we would most likely cancel our 10 day Mex Riviera cruise in April 2010.

Flying into Long Beach & crusiing from San Pedro was Ok once, but we have no desire to do it again. The highight of the trip would be three days ahead in San Diego--never been there...so if that is not an option the cruise itself is not worth flying from NY.

They better not! I paid for airfare, hotels, etc for my trip on her in October... This is a nasty rumor to start!

How is this a nasty rumor?

The OP said that they "heard that there was a possibility" and wanted to see if anyone else knew anything about it.

Guest nhrich

Just off the Mariner yesterday. It is expected that it will stay on the west coast for the foreseeable future. Someone asked the captain about Hawaii, and he responded with an emphatic "no". There is a possibility of Alaska, though, but there are quite a bit of logistics in the ports that would need to be dealt with to handle a ship that size.

I have to agree with some other posters. The Radiance class ships seem to bounce back and forth and pull double duty pretty frequently. For example Serenade is sailing from San Juan and doing a few Panama canal trips to do west coast sailings this year.

The Radiance class ships are pretty darn efficient to operate from what I've heard and not to mention they can fit thru the Panama canal where as the Voyager class cannot. They have to sail around the horn of s. america. Thats why Mariner had a 46 night repo trip to get over there.

Guest nhrich
We're you on the first sailing to do SF, Victoria & Seattle?

Yes I was. Cool and cloudy most of the week with some rain, but a great time anyway!

Recently heard that there is a possibility of the Mariner going back to the East Coast and the Radiance being moved to San Pedro. Has any heard the same?

This would be great. Bring the Mariner back to where she belongs, on the East coast.

I really hope this is a rumor--Hope someone can track the source & verify one or the other. Guess we'll hold off booking our air for awhile to see what happens.. To orignal poster--where did you recently hear this info?

If Radiance moves from San Diego to San Pedro we would most likely cancel our 10 day Mex Riviera cruise in April 2010.

Flying into Long Beach & crusiing from San Pedro was Ok once, but we have no desire to do it again. The highight of the trip would be three days ahead in San Diego--never been there...so if that is not an option the cruise itself is not worth flying from NY.

If three days in San Diego is your plan, cruising out of San Pedro really shouldn't make that much of a difference. It's only about a two hour drive up from San Diego to the port. Since you are talking about three days, it would seem that you have the time and flexibility to just schedule in a two hour drive to the port, either the night before, or the morning of the cruise.

Just a suggestion that, regardless of any other issues, your desire to spend time in San Diego is not mutually exclusive to your ship departing from San Pedro.

:)

If three days in San Diego is your plan, cruising out of San Pedro really shouldn't make that much of a difference. It's only about a two hour drive up from San Diego to the port. Since you are talking about three days, it would seem that you have the time and flexibility to just schedule in a two hour drive to the port, either the night before, or the morning of the cruise.

Just a suggestion that, regardless of any other issues, your desire to spend time in San Diego is not mutually exclusive to your ship departing from San Pedro.

:)

Unless you drive like "grandpa", it only takes about 1 hour 15 minutes to get to San Pedro from San Diego! :D

I also believe that Royal Caribbean will work on changing Mariners itineraries for 2010 and 2011. Some Hawaii runs, even Northwest runs in August and September would be great.

I don't recall the Vision running just the Mexican Riviera 12 months of the year, when she was on the West Coast.

Rick

The Vision would run Mexican Riviera in the Fall, Winter and early Spring then up to Alaska for late Spring and Summer.

The Mariner is the first full-time Mexican Riviera (...ahem....) ship from Royal Caribbean. It's nice to be able to go to Mexico from California in the Summer.

Before this I believe only Carnival had a year-round Mexican Riviera offering and that was typically on one of their old run down ships.

Archived