Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

DubrovnikTravelLady:

We will be in Dubrovnik on Wednesday, Aug 7th form 7-5pm. We have been to Dubrovnik once before w/o kids. This year they will be with us. We plan on walking the wall first thing b/c of the heat. Going up the cable car and going to Old Town for lunch and gelato.

Which gate shall we taxi to Pile gate or Polce gate?

Where do you buy tickets on site for The Wall and The Cable car?

You also mentioned at beach for kids to swim.... Banje Beach. Is this near the wall and Old Town?

Any other things to do in Croatia with kids ages 10 and 13?

Thank You Travel Lady. Will we be able to get 5 in a taxi? One person is a child. I hear it will be 10 euros.

And the driver makes 6, perhaps you can squish 4 in the back but I doubt it. You should research a mini van transfer service or our local bus service. You will need Croatian kuna for the bus and tickets at 15 Kuna each, same rate as a taxi 75 Kuna.

DubrovnikTravelLady:

We will be in Dubrovnik on Wednesday, Aug 7th form 7-5pm. We have been to Dubrovnik once before w/o kids. This year they will be with us. We plan on walking the wall first thing b/c of the heat. Going up the cable car and going to Old Town for lunch and gelato.

Which gate shall we taxi to Pile gate or Polce gate?

Where do you buy tickets on site for The Wall and The Cable car?

You also mentioned at beach for kids to swim.... Banje Beach. Is this near the wall and Old Town?

Any other things to do in Croatia with kids ages 10 and 13?

I doubt that you will be able to get the children out of our clear sea in August.

Tickets for the cable car and city wall are purchased at the entrance to each site.

The old part of town does not have any children activities and you know if they would be interested in seeing our museums and cultural sites.

Sounds as though your plans will fill your day, the town will be crowded and I am sure times to visit your list will take more time than you expect.

Enjoy your time, cool down at Banje and enjoy our clean Adriatic Sea.

• 2 weeks later...
I am back and we ended up going to a beach near the Old Town. The water was great,:eek: but too many rocks on the beach. I am used to fine sand and this was rocky. However, we still had a great time! :)

Appreciate your follow-up and updating. Glad that things worked out well for your Dubrovnik experience. Yes, many beaches in Europe can be a little rocky. Different from what some might have experienced in parts of California, Florida, the Carolinas, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 16,047 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

I was on a Carnival Excursion, however, it was very close to the Old Town.

St Jacob’s Beach, well worth the 20 minute walk from the old town—leave the town at the Ploce Gate, after the Hotel Argentina take a right fork and keep walking till you reach a small church. Walk behind the church and you see steep steps going down to the cove. You can rent chairs and there is a little restaurant with a wonderful view of distant Dubrovnik.

Where can I take bus #5 or 8 to go to st jakov beach from old town? Thanks.

The bus does not run down the road where you will find Sveti Jakov beach. You can get off in front of the Villa Argentina and walk the beach, about 1/2 hour. Do keep in mind there are many steps down to the small beach and it will be busy, so be prepared. Your posts show a departure date of 28 July, so I can assume you will be in Dubrovnik in late July or early August. It is high, high, high season and we are very crowded with land guests and well as a massive amount of cruisers. Spend the money and take a taxi!

The bus does not run down the road where you will find Sveti Jakov beach. You can get off in front of the Villa Argentina and walk the beach, about 1/2 hour. Do keep in mind there are many steps down to the small beach and it will be busy, so be prepared. Your posts show a departure date of 28 July, so I can assume you will be in Dubrovnik in late July or early August. It is high, high, high season and we are very crowded with land guests and well as a massive amount of cruisers. Spend the money and take a taxi!

How much would a taxi to st jakov beach be from ploce gate? Does it drop you off right at the steps? Will there be taxis available to go back to the port? Maybe we should just go to the closer banje beach? Thanks.

How much would a taxi to st jakov beach be from ploce gate? Does it drop you off right at the steps? Will there be taxis available to go back to the port? Maybe we should just go to the closer banje beach? Thanks.

Have no idea what it would cost for a taxi from Ploce to Sveti Jakov beach. We have many one way roads and the route by auto would be much different than the bus or walking. You may want to rethink to using Banje as your time here is rather limited. And no there are no taxis at Sveti Jakov, it is in a residential area.

Taxis are only located at the Ploce gate, so Banje would be a much wiser choice.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Have no idea what it would cost for a taxi from Ploce to Sveti Jakov beach. We have many one way roads and the route by auto would be much different than the bus or walking. You may want to rethink to using Banje as your time here is rather limited. And no there are no taxis at Sveti Jakov, it is in a residential area.

Taxis are only located at the Ploce gate, so Banje would be a much wiser choice.

How long is the walk from ploce gate to banje beach? Our ship docks 10a to 5:30p. Do we have enough time to walk the wall and stroll through old town, plus cable car, and banje beach? Thanks

How long is the walk from ploce gate to banje beach? Our ship docks 10a to 5:30p. Do we have enough time to walk the wall and stroll through old town, plus cable car, and banje beach? Thanks

Realistically you have only from 1100 until 1630 to visit the old part of town. Perhaps you might look at changing the order of your sightseeing. The wall will take you the longest time, just to do the seaside half, with photo stops, can take up to one hour easily. Going up there at high noon would be torture, very little shade and perhaps no sea breeze.

My suggestion would be to take a taxi directly to the cable car entrance, go up for the view which puts you closest to the Ploce gate when you descend back to the entrance. Banje beach is about a 10 minute walk from Ploce, and again there are steps down to the beach area. Also are you expecting a nice sandy beach? Our beaches are NOT sandy, they are small stones with a few sandy parts in the water.

What are your plans for strolling the old town? Have you decided to visit any of our historical sites or just walk the Stradun (main promenade) until you reach the wall? Are you going to stop for lunch or perhaps just a gelato? Do keep in mind the old part of town will be busy, not only with cruisers but also the many land guests who are here.

I would probably try to do the wall last, in hopes it has cooled down slightly and the crowds have somewhat gotten smaller. You can of course just power walk the walls, no photo stops and no stopping for views which some guests do often. It is up to you how quickly and how much time you will spend visiting sites and wandering around the town. Spend your limited time here efficiently, our sites are interesting and so worth a visit.

Also please do recheck with Carnival and verify the times you are in Dubrovnik. Our port authority website shows the Sunshine arrives here at 7:30 am. Has it changed?

Good luck, do not forget a sun hat, sun screen, water and good walking shoes with radial tires on the bottoms.

http://www.dubrovnikcard.com/clanak.php?id=173

Link for the city walls

Just found it myself, you can also buy tickets for cable car in advance too.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Thank you for providing the links, I had assumed you were referring to the purchase of the Dubrovnik card but were not sure. The card does include the wall as part of several sites also, but for those who will not visit the included sites, it is not a good value.

The cable car does offer an online purchase but one still will need to obtain the actual ticket at the entrance. Same price online as window purchase.

For the cable car, I found it best to buy the tickets at one of the outside ticket sellers where there is usually little or no wait. Then whiz by the crowd waiting to buy tickets at the cable car entrance and go straight to the boarding line. Saved several minutes of waiting.

For the cable car, I found it best to buy the tickets at one of the outside ticket sellers where there is usually little or no wait. Then whiz by the crowd waiting to buy tickets at the cable car entrance and go straight to the boarding line. Saved several minutes of waiting.

Can you please tell me where you found an outside sales office for cable car tickets? I would like to verify that actual tickets are being sold at offices other than the actual entrance. Will you be more specific in where you made this purchase. Buyer beware if you buy from a street vendor, they may not be real tickets. Cable car website shows no other point of purchase.