Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Dubrovniktravelady, took your advice from another thread and booked a local tour guide. Figure it is our only stop in Croatia and we want to make the most of it. He has us doing the walls last around 4 pM since it is such a crowded port day. Will see the panorama, do some local sightseeing, then go to Cavtat and come back for the walls. Hope it sounds like a good plan to you. I am excited.

Thanks for your input.

Would you mind telling me what website you visited to find a listing of local guides. Do some pick you up at the port and then return you to the ship? I am a little worried that it may be hard to find a cab for the return trip. Thank you.

Hello, trying to figure out if we will have time to do all this, we are on port on July 30th (Carnival Sunshine) from 10:00am to 5:30pm, I would be willing to skip a sit down restuarant if needed. DH is a Game of Thrones fan and he would love to be able to see all this, what do you think? Get a taxi and have them take us to the entrance of the wall at Pile gate. Take in the beauty (make it all the way around), then walk down to old town, find the Franciscan Monastery with the pharmacy, and Rupe Museum. Have lunch:rolleyes: or snack any quick seafood places? Walk to old port to and take ferry to the island of Lokrum, spend some time visiting the island maybe spend an hour there. On the way back from the Island go to fort Lovrijenac before taking a taxi back to the ship. I am skipping the cable car to my dismay but I am very afraid of heights and I’ll most likely just have my eyes closed the whole time. We are pretty good walkers,not too used to being active in a hot and humid location but willing to give a try. Thank you so much!

Hello, trying to figure out if we will have time to do all this, we are on port on July 30th (Carnival Sunshine) from 10:00am to 5:30pm, I would be willing to skip a sit down restuarant if needed. DH is a Game of Thrones fan and he would love to be able to see all this, what do you think? Get a taxi and have them take us to the entrance of the wall at Pile gate. Take in the beauty (make it all the way around), then walk down to old town, find the Franciscan Monastery with the pharmacy, and Rupe Museum. Have lunch:rolleyes: or snack any quick seafood places? Walk to old port to and take ferry to the island of Lokrum, spend some time visiting the island maybe spend an hour there. On the way back from the Island go to fort Lovrijenac before taking a taxi back to the ship. I am skipping the cable car to my dismay but I am very afraid of heights and I’ll most likely just have my eyes closed the whole time. We are pretty good walkers,not too used to being active in a hot and humid location but willing to give a try. Thank you so much!

Assuming you arrive in the old part of town by 1100 and return to ship by 1600, a total of 5 hours. Walking the entire wall could take as much as 2 hours, can be done faster if you do not stop to take photos and marvel at the views. Only walking the seaside may be a much better option. Remember if you walk the wall you will be up there during high noon, it will be hot, hot, hot!

Doubt if you will find a fast food seafood place, fish is not precooked and lunch is often leisurely. You will be able to get fast pizza slices but we do not have a multitude of fast food here.

Ft. Lovrijenac is located at Pile bay, you may want to do it first. I have seen photos of the show, hardly recognize the fort as they visually enhanced the fort with towers which do not exist. There was filming on the small pier of Pile, they did not enhance that part at all.

The cable car ride is only 4 minutes, it is not that high off the ground and I also suffer from a fear of heights. Stand in the front, look at the ground and you will have no problems.

I would drop Lokrum and spend my limited time at the Franciscan and Rupe. The old part of town will be very busy, European summer guests will be massive.

Make sure you have water, sun hat and slather your bodies with sun screen.

Assuming you arrive in the old part of town by 1100 and return to ship by 1600, a total of 5 hours. Walking the entire wall could take as much as 2 hours, can be done faster if you do not stop to take photos and marvel at the views. Only walking the seaside may be a much better option. Remember if you walk the wall you will be up there during high noon, it will be hot, hot, hot!

Doubt if you will find a fast food seafood place, fish is not precooked and lunch is often leisurely. You will be able to get fast pizza slices but we do not have a multitude of fast food here.

Ft. Lovrijenac is located at Pile bay, you may want to do it first. I have seen photos of the show, hardly recognize the fort as they visually enhanced the fort with towers which do not exist. There was filming on the small pier of Pile, they did not enhance that part at all.

The cable car ride is only 4 minutes, it is not that high off the ground and I also suffer from a fear of heights. Stand in the front, look at the ground and you will have no problems.

I would drop Lokrum and spend my limited time at the Franciscan and Rupe. The old part of town will be very busy, European summer guests will be massive.

Make sure you have water, sun hat and slather your bodies with sun screen.

Thank you so much, I think we will skip the island to not miss the museums, and after speaking with DH he does want to try fresh seafood. I have now changed my plans completely but at least we won't be walking so fast trying to get EVERYTHING in that we might be able to enjoy and soak in the beautiful area. I will even try the cable car ride up. Wish me luck

I have read through this whole thread about 2 or 3 times over the past month and I just cant figure out how to utilize our time properly and in what order to do things. We will be on the Splendour of the Seas and in port from 11am-6:30pm on June 2. While visiting, we would like to do the cable car, walk the walls, buza bar and walk around the old town. I'm not sure if its best to get dropped off at the cable car and do that 1st or where to fit that in exactly. We usually do the cruise lines tours but the ports on this trip it seems better to DIY so I want to make sure I plan it right because I'm really excited for this stop. Any suggestions are much appreciated :)

Please post a review. We are doing the same itinerary two weeks later.

Hope you have fewer ships in port than we will. That's one reason we decided to do a private tour. Very excited about Dubrovnik also.

Please post a review. We are doing the same itinerary two weeks later.

Hope you have fewer ships in port than we will. That's one reason we decided to do a private tour. Very excited about Dubrovnik also.

I looked at one site and it showed our ship and another ship but 2 ships doesn't seem right. I figured there would be more. I hope someone gives a suggestion as to what order to do things. I will post a review when we return!!

I looked at one site and it showed our ship and another ship but 2 ships doesn't seem right. I figured there would be more. I hope someone gives a suggestion as to what order to do things. I will post a review when we return!!

If you want an accurate ship count, you will find it at our port authority website.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

What sites do you not want to miss? Your ship is docked from 1030 to 1830, about 5 to 6 hours in Dubrovnik. Use the tourist map to get your bearings and plan your day with it. What are your interests, we have many historical sites beside the city wall and cable car.

If you want an accurate ship count, you will find it at our port authority website.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

What sites do you not want to miss? Your ship is docked from 1030 to 1830, about 5 to 6 hours in Dubrovnik. Use the tourist map to get your bearings and plan your day with it. What are your interests, we have many historical sites beside the city wall and cable car.

Thanks for the website. I have the maps printed out and will use them to get us around. We like anything history related really so any of the sites will be of interest after we do the wall and cable car. I guess my main question is should we take a cab from the port directly to the cable car or should we walk half the wall starting at the pile gate then find the cable car when we get to the ploce gate. We would like to see the buza bar as well. Thanks a lot for the info, I appreciate it!!

Dubrovniktravelady you are a gem, thanks for all the advice

I have read through this whole thread about 2 or 3 times over the past month and I just cant figure out how to utilize our time properly and in what order to do things. We will be on the P&O Aurora and in port from 10.30-6.00pm on May 7th. While visiting, we would like to do the cable car, walk the walls, buza bar and walk around the old town. I'm not sure if its best to get dropped off at the cable car and do that 1st or where to fit that in exactly. We want to just walk the sea side of the walls, so I wonder could you write down one thread for me, explaining from the ship and and I would save and follow that. Should we take shuttle bus to the Ploce entrance then walk to the other gate which you say is best to start for the sea side. Then find the hidden entrance for cable car, if you tell me how to find that and then walking round the town.

Which order in your opinion should be do everything, given our times

I really am looking forward to visiting your beatiful city.

and ... if you have any tips on Korcula I would be grateful

maybe my email would help nelderwoman@btinternet.com

Thank you so much for all your help

Carnival Paradise: Western Caribbean 2002

Dubrovniktravelady you are a gem, thanks for all the advice

I have read through this whole thread about 2 or 3 times over the past month and I just cant figure out how to utilize our time properly and in what order to do things. We will be on the P&O Aurora and in port from 10.30-6.00pm on May 7th. While visiting, we would like to do the cable car, walk the walls, buza bar and walk around the old town. I'm not sure if its best to get dropped off at the cable car and do that 1st or where to fit that in exactly. We want to just walk the sea side of the walls, so I wonder could you write down one thread for me, explaining from the ship and and I would save and follow that. Should we take shuttle bus to the Ploce entrance then walk to the other gate which you say is best to start for the sea side. Then find the hidden entrance for cable car, if you tell me how to find that and then walking round the town.

Which order in your opinion should be do everything, given our times

I really am looking forward to visiting your beatiful city.

and ... if you have any tips on Korcula I would be grateful

maybe my email would help nelderwoman@btinternet.com

Thank you so much for all your help

Carnival Paradise: Western Caribbean 2002

Begin your day by taking a taxi directly to the cable car entrance. As you exit, you will go down 100 steps and notice a parking lot on your right, walk next to the buildings until you reach the road and cross at the zebra. Turn left and follow the road to the Ploce gate entrance and you will reach the old town after entering under the arch. On your right will be Sponza Palace, visit the memorial to our fallen from 1991 homeland war. Wander the old part of town and find your way down to the large Onofrio fountain, the main entrance and tickets for the wall are adjacent. Up the 87 steps to the wall, walk counter clockwise (only way you can go) and enjoy the magnificent views of the sea, our red rooftops and the island of Lokrum. Exit at the first exit, and stop at the small garden area to photo the old guillotine. Back down to the old town for further exploration.

Download the tourist map which has been posted many, many times.

Begin your day by taking a taxi directly to the cable car entrance. As you exit, you will go down 100 steps and notice a parking lot on your right, walk next to the buildings until you reach the road and cross at the zebra. Turn left and follow the road to the Ploce gate entrance and you will reach the old town after entering under the arch. On your right will be Sponza Palace, visit the memorial to our fallen from 1991 homeland war. Wander the old part of town and find your way down to the large Onofrio fountain, the main entrance and tickets for the wall are adjacent. Up the 87 steps to the wall, walk counter clockwise (only way you can go) and enjoy the magnificent views of the sea, our red rooftops and the island of Lokrum. Exit at the first exit, and stop at the small garden area to photo the old guillotine. Back down to the old town for further exploration.

Download the tourist map which has been posted many, many times.

Just see how easy you make it, many thanks

always another question, do the shops shut in the afternoon

Just see how easy you make it, many thanks

always another question, do the shops shut in the afternoon

Yes a few do close during lunch, which could mean from 1200 until 1500. However most open again during evening hours, from 1500 to 1900 or 2000, depends on the owner. Get off the main promenade for the better shops, side streets and the street we call Puca which is parallel to the Stradun.

We are so excited to have been notified that our time in Dubrovnik has been expanded - we are arriving two hours earlier than originally scheduled so we'll be getting there at 11:15 and staying until 7:00 rather than not arriving until 1:15. We have a private tour arranged and are hoping we can start earlier so we'll have more time at the end of the day to "linger" in town before boarding the ship. This will be the first time our cruiseline has been in Dubrovnik so I'm wondering what, if anything, we might expect in terms of ceremony - is it traditional for the city leaders to greet the captain, etc.? Some sort of "welcome to the city" ceremony, certificate, etc?

We are so excited to have been notified that our time in Dubrovnik has been expanded - we are arriving two hours earlier than originally scheduled so we'll be getting there at 11:15 and staying until 7:00 rather than not arriving until 1:15. We have a private tour arranged and are hoping we can start earlier so we'll have more time at the end of the day to "linger" in town before boarding the ship. This will be the first time our cruiseline has been in Dubrovnik so I'm wondering what, if anything, we might expect in terms of ceremony - is it traditional for the city leaders to greet the captain, etc.? Some sort of "welcome to the city" ceremony, certificate, etc?

Normally cruise ships arrive with no town officials greeting. I doubt that anyone will be at the pier other than the taxi drivers waiting for guests. However one never knows, but with 5 to 7 cruise ships arriving daily, it would be a difficult task.

Please do contact your tour guide and advise of the new arrival time. Very pleased that you will be here longer, gives you time to stroll the old part of town. Your ship is docked at our Gruz harbor, about a 10 minute drive from town, depending on traffic.

Hello again! I just want to be sure I have this correct: If I want to walk the wall only in the section by the sea, I should ask the taxi to take me to the Ploce gate, right? I think I am confusing myself after reading all of the information. Thanks.

Hi - I haven't found many recent posts on Lokrum so I thought I would get your advice.

We are sailing Crystal Serenity - arrives Dubrovnik Saturday May 4 - docking from 8am to 6pm (I know we need to be back by 5pm).

Lokrum looks beautiful - particularly the dead sea!

Is there time enough to enjoy Dubrovnike, tour the wall (an audio tour was recommended by a friend) and still go to Lokrum? I also read it was hard to find the dead sea?

We are from Atlanta and it may be chilly by my standards - I'm used to HOT weather, so I may not even enjoy Lokrum this time of year. Your advice would be appreciated.

I found this place online too that sounded like fun - Buza cafe bar.

I'm overwhelmed! As for lunch, I had marked down Orhan. I guess there simply may not be time. What might you recommend for this one day (FYI we are in our early 40s and pretty active!).

Hello again! I just want to be sure I have this correct: If I want to walk the wall only in the section by the sea, I should ask the taxi to take me to the Ploce gate, right? I think I am confusing myself after reading all of the information. Thanks.

Let me try again. Take a taxi directly to the cable car entrance. When you return to the cable car entrance, walk down the steps towards the sea and you can enter the old town by Ploce gate.

Hi - I haven't found many recent posts on Lokrum so I thought I would get your advice.

We are sailing Crystal Serenity - arrives Dubrovnik Saturday May 4 - docking from 8am to 6pm (I know we need to be back by 5pm).

Lokrum looks beautiful - particularly the dead sea!

Is there time enough to enjoy Dubrovnike, tour the wall (an audio tour was recommended by a friend) and still go to Lokrum? I also read it was hard to find the dead sea?

We are from Atlanta and it may be chilly by my standards - I'm used to HOT weather, so I may not even enjoy Lokrum this time of year. Your advice would be appreciated.

I found this place online too that sounded like fun - Buza cafe bar.

I'm overwhelmed! As for lunch, I had marked down Orhan. I guess there simply may not be time. What might you recommend for this one day (FYI we are in our early 40s and pretty active!).

As mentioned earlier I am not able to recommend any specific restaurants. We have many lovely place which to enjoy our fresh seafood and other local treats.

You may have enough time to walk the wall, visit some historical sites and wander Lokrum. However the sea water is not warm yet, average these days is only 15C, which is chilly. The weather could turn hot suddenly but as of today it does not seem likely.

Thank you - would you recommend we try to fit Lokrum in, or will we be trying too much? (I thought the water in the "dead sea" pool was warmer.

I think I have to re-pack. Was planning for warmer weather.

You can check the forecast for our area with one of the better sites which I use daily. Last year it was much warmer at this time of the year, but we have had a wet, windy cold winter which is still lingering.

You will know if you want to visit Lokrum once you arrive. The dead sea water is not warmer, it comes into the swimming hole via a hole in the rocks. Many people do swim in May, but I wait for August!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/hr/dubrovnik/112593/weather-forecast/112593

Hi Dubrovnik lady - wanted to ask a quick question - how much will a taxi from the port up to the cable car be in Euros/Kuna? Just want to make sure we dont get ripped off. We are in Split the day before so i expect we should have some Kuna but just in case we dont better ask Euro aswell!

Thanks a mil

Taxi prices are posted and are set by the town officials. Our drivers will not rip you off, we have very little crime here. Price should be about the same as Pile gate, approximately 75 to 80 Kuna or 10 to 15 Euros. It is best to spend Kuna here, the exchange rate is better and we have a multitude of ATM machines all over the old part of town as well as the port.