Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hello!

You are a wonderful Resource! We will be in your lovely city on Sunday may 12th on the NCL Jade. We don't arrive until 1400. I've read some reviews that say the views from the top Of the cable car are awesome at dusk. We also want to walk at least half the wall- get lost in some side streets and stop for a glass of wine and a light snack. The sun sets about 1945 and we would like to be back on the ship by 1900. What would you suggest?

Thanks so much,

Vivian

Hi Vivian, looks like we will be on the same cruise. You might be able to answer my question, do we need Croatian Kuna for Dubrovnik and Split?

Hi Sarar,

Yes, you should buy Kuna when we arrive. I asked my friend, who lives here but has property there and she said there is nowhere around here (Toronto) to buy Kuna. There are ATMS everywhere and the rate of exchange should be favourable. I read there is a bus station just outside the port, and there are ATMs there. If not, just inside the Pile Gates, where most cruisers will be dropped off (if taking taxi)

I suppose if we couldn't get near an ATM at the port and we take a taxi to the gates, the driver will take Euros, but I'd ask before getting in.

Now we just have to figure out how much to buy to cover us for both of our days in Croatia!

cheers,

vivian

For what it is worth....here was my experience with the Kuna this past September. The Euro was broadly accepted but there was just enough shops and services that didn't that I bought some 500 Kunas (they are very inexpensive) at an ATM in Split as the next day we were to be in Dubrovnik. Well there was adverse weather conditions and a mix up in berthing assignments and the captain of the Grand elected not to go to Dubrovnik. So there I was with well over 300 Kunas and no where to spend them. Princess would take them but wanted a usurious exchange rate and a $4.50 transaction fee which I refused to pay. I then tried every bank and currency exchange in Gibraltar and nobody wanted them. I finally was able to unload them at the AMEX currency exchange in London-Heathrow. Croatia is supposed to be adopting the Euro in July of this year, however, they are having some trouble meeting the economic targets set forth by the EU and this may delay them. So my advice would be not to rush to buy any Kunas until we get there and if they are still using Kunas then 300 will likely be enough.

Hi Sarar,

Yes, you should buy Kuna when we arrive. I asked my friend, who lives here but has property there and she said there is nowhere around here (Toronto) to buy Kuna. There are ATMS everywhere and the rate of exchange should be favourable. I read there is a bus station just outside the port, and there are ATMs there. If not, just inside the Pile Gates, where most cruisers will be dropped off (if taking taxi)

I suppose if we couldn't get near an ATM at the port and we take a taxi to the gates, the driver will take Euros, but I'd ask before getting in.

Now we just have to figure out how much to buy to cover us for both of our days in Croatia!

cheers,

vivian

Hi Vivian, I live in the UK and can buy Kuna from my local exchange money shop where they don't charge exchange rates, but do you think I should wait until I get to Croatia and get it from the ATM, or just get a few kuna at the same time as buying my euros?

thanks

Sara

Dubrovniktravelady, I hope you can help me. We will be in Dubrovnik on May 12 on Celebrity. We dock at noon and stay until 8 p.m. It is our first time in Croatia.

I know we want to walk the seaside part of the wall and also see the old city. Perhaps something historical within the old city as well. (I have looked at your provided map and I believe there are historic sites within the walls. Please correct if I am wrong.)

Additionally, I have seen people mention taking a panorama taxi ride for an hour, including going up 'above' where the cable car (which I won't be riding) stops for the views.

I have no idea about the opening times or daylight times during May. I don't think it's the height of the season, but maybe a cusp season as far as tourists and opening/closing times.

Would we have time to do a panorama taxi tour first and then have it drop us off at the entrance where one does the seaview part of the wall walk and then also have time to experience the old city and maybe purchase something to bring back with us? (I believe I read that items of interest in Dubrovnik area would be lace, embroidery items, charms--notably in a town called Cavtat near Dubrovni--and coffee sets called jezveh's).

What time does everything close and is there something I can or should do if it is dark early? I would imagine we would like to be back on the ship by seven.

Thank you!

Dubrovniktravelady, I hope you can help me. We will be in Dubrovnik on May 12 on Celebrity. We dock at noon and stay until 8 p.m. It is our first time in Croatia.

I know we want to walk the seaside part of the wall and also see the old city. Perhaps something historical within the old city as well. (I have looked at your provided map and I believe there are historic sites within the walls. Please correct if I am wrong.)

Additionally, I have seen people mention taking a panorama taxi ride for an hour, including going up 'above' where the cable car (which I won't be riding) stops for the views.

I have no idea about the opening times or daylight times during May. I don't think it's the height of the season, but maybe a cusp season as far as tourists and opening/closing times.

Would we have time to do a panorama taxi tour first and then have it drop us off at the entrance where one does the seaview part of the wall walk and then also have time to experience the old city and maybe purchase something to bring back with us? (I believe I read that items of interest in Dubrovnik area would be lace, embroidery items, charms--notably in a town called Cavtat near Dubrovni--and coffee sets called jezveh's).

What time does everything close and is there something I can or should do if it is dark early? I would imagine we would like to be back on the ship by seven.

Thank you!

Our museums will be running high season hours from 22 March until 02 November with most historical sites opening at 0900 until 1800. Shops and cafes will be open until 2300 daily with a few shops closed on Sundays. You have enough time to walk the sea side of the wall, visit the sites in the old town. Do you have enough time in Dubrovnik and then take another taxi down to Cavtat, I doubt it. Cavtat is located about a 20 minute drive south of Dubrovnik. You will be able to purchase lace, embroidery items and charms at our local shops.

Not using the cable car to reach the top of Mt Srd and going up by taxi on the small one lane dirt road - not my choice as I also have a fear of heights. When I take the cable car, I stand at the front and look at the ground as it takes the 4 minute ride to the top.

Your total amount of time in the old part of town will be only about 4 to 5 hours. Estimated cruisers will be slightly over 5,000 and you may find navigating old town slow. Finding shops which sell those items are on the side pathways and not the main promenade. Would love to know if you locate one of the old Turkish coffee sets as I have not seen one in many, many years.

Cavtat in itself is worth a few hours, please do not attempt to visit both towns. Keep Cavtat for your next visit, it is a lovely area and worth several hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to buy a Dubrovnik Visitor's Card that includes public transport. Does anyone know if that includes the Cabrio Bus? We are not docking until November 3rd, do you think it would still be running? I might just think of it as being a last minute activity if it is but make other plans as it will probably not still be operational.

I am planning to buy a Dubrovnik Visitor's Card that includes public transport. Does anyone know if that includes the Cabrio Bus? We are not docking until November 3rd, do you think it would still be running? I might just think of it as being a last minute activity if it is but make other plans as it will probably not still be operational.

Normally Cabrio bus ends touring on 01 November and it is not part of the Dubrovnik Card. Here is the website for the card which can answer all your questions. Libertas buses have not yet posted any data for Cabrio for this season yet.

http://www.dubrovnikcard.com/index.php

Dubrovniktravelady,

We are so looking forward to visiting your city but we will be there when there are over 8,000 passengers in port. Was hoping you could give me some logistical guidance: we dock at 11, Celebrity arrives at noon, and Costa leaves at 1.

Should we head to the walls ASAP or wait until the Costa passengers have returned to the ship? Do the cable car lines get backed up?

Want to do as much as possible but get back to ship on time.

Thank you so much for all your guidance

Dubrovniktravelady,

We are so looking forward to visiting your city but we will be there when there are over 8,000 passengers in port. Was hoping you could give me some logistical guidance: we dock at 11, Celebrity arrives at noon, and Costa leaves at 1.

Should we head to the walls ASAP or wait until the Costa passengers have returned to the ship? Do the cable car lines get backed up?

Want to do as much as possible but get back to ship on time.

Thank you so much for all your guidance

First Costa will not affect your arrival at all as she is anchored in the old part of town, her passengers will be back on board by Noon. Grand Celebration departs at 1500, her passengers will be beginning to trickle back to the docks by early afternoon.

Your ship arrives at 1100, you will be able to reach the old part of town by Noon, perhaps slightly later. Bottom line is that there will only be about 4,000 cruise passengers in town during the afternoon. However this count does not take into account the land guests who are here for several days or more.

Yes there may be lines for the cable car and the city wall, often they cannot be avoided. The lines move quickly, the only time there are problems is when tourists do not understand payment fees. Cable car entrance fee is 94 Kuna, city wall is 90 Kuna. Both sites accept credit cards.

Thanks for your response. Celebrity Silhouette will be in port until evening.

We started looking into private tours. I thought I saw that you said the panorama tour was not worth doing. Could it substitute for the cable car? We are a family of 5 adults. Could we find a cab to take us all?

We would like to do 1/2 of the wall and the old city and panoramic view while learning about your city. Was wondering if we should wait to walk the walls, weighing crowds versus heat. Dock at 11 and probably have to be back on the ship around 5:30 for 6:30 departure. Thanks for helping us make the most of this opportunity.

Thanks for your response. Celebrity Silhouette will be in port until evening.

We started looking into private tours. I thought I saw that you said the panorama tour was not worth doing. Could it substitute for the cable car? We are a family of 5 adults. Could we find a cab to take us all?

We would like to do 1/2 of the wall and the old city and panoramic view while learning about your city. Was wondering if we should wait to walk the walls, weighing crowds versus heat. Dock at 11 and probably have to be back on the ship around 5:30 for 6:30 departure. Thanks for helping us make the most of this opportunity.

If you are really interested in doing a driving tour, then you must find a company which offers a mini van. Our taxis are only really fit for a maximum of 3 adults plus driver. It is worth doing for travellers, but I prefer to walk the old part of town and that is only a personal preference.

June heat is normally not that bad, but who knows what we will have this year. Right now we are still running our heater. Strange weather this winter, still waiting for spring. I am guessing we will go from winter directly into summer, but when???

You can walk the sea side of the wall at any time, I prefer early but then I can get up there at 0800 when it opens.

Enjoy!

Dubrovnik travel lady, please can you help. Our research shows that it is possible to access a path to the beach from near the Hotel Argentina and from where there are nice views of the old town, islands and sea. One piece of information suggests taking the number 5 or 8 bus to the Hotel Argentina but we cant see them listed on the Dubrovnik bus station timetable. We will be on a cruise so will we be able to get one of these buses from Gruz Harbour? Alternatively, is it a long walk from Ploce Gate to Svati Jakov?

Thank you for all the help you give here. On your recommendation we visited the Franciscan Monastery on or last vist and enjoyed it very much.

Dubrovnik travel lady, please can you help. Our research shows that it is possible to access a path to the beach from near the Hotel Argentina and from where there are nice views of the old town, islands and sea. One piece of information suggests taking the number 5 or 8 bus to the Hotel Argentina but we cant see them listed on the Dubrovnik bus station timetable. We will be on a cruise so will we be able to get one of these buses from Gruz Harbour? Alternatively, is it a long walk from Ploce Gate to Svati Jakov?

Thank you for all the help you give here. On your recommendation we visited the Franciscan Monastery on or last vist and enjoyed it very much.

You cannot pick up #5 at the Gruz bus station, but Libertas #8 (our local bus) will take you to the area. Ask the driver to let you know when you reach Victoria, it is normally a long stop at the point. Cross the road, go down the 100 steps to the road below which is called Vlaha Bukovca, turn left and walk to the end of the road. That is Sveti Jakov beach below, nice area and lovely views. Long walk from Villa Argentina, much longer from Ploca gate. You should return by walking on Vlaha Bukovca to the bus stop in front of the Argentina, just across the road and pick up #8 or visit the old town again. Dominican Monastery is just lovely and does have a very good religious museum.

Hope your trip is not soon as it is still cold and wet now. Libertas bus schedule shown below. Hope this helps.

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.com/gradski.pdf

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Dubrovniktravelady I hope you are able to help me? I know you have provided endless information and help to people on these pages, but if I explain my situation you might be able to advise what I will be able to do while in port.

I will be on the Norwegian Jade arriving in Dubrovnik on Sunday 12th May 2013. I am a wheelchair user, can walk quite well but not well enough to do the wall and several steps, I am not worried about doing the cable car, is there much in the port area that will be open on a Sunday?

Thanks you for all your help.

Sara

You cannot pick up #5 at the Gruz bus station, but Libertas #8 (our local bus) will take you to the area. Ask the driver to let you know when you reach Victoria, it is normally a long stop at the point. Cross the road, go down the 100 steps to the road below which is called Vlaha Bukovca, turn left and walk to the end of the road. That is Sveti Jakov beach below, nice area and lovely views. Long walk from Villa Argentina, much longer from Ploca gate. You should return by walking on Vlaha Bukovca to the bus stop in front of the Argentina, just across the road and pick up #8 or visit the old town again. Dominican Monastery is just lovely and does have a very good religious museum.

Hope your trip is not soon as it is still cold and wet now. Libertas bus schedule shown below. Hope this helps.

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.com/gradski.pdf

Thank you so much.

Dubrovniktravelady I hope you are able to help me? I know you have provided endless information and help to people on these pages, but if I explain my situation you might be able to advise what I will be able to do while in port.

I will be on the Norwegian Jade arriving in Dubrovnik on Sunday 12th May 2013. I am a wheelchair user, can walk quite well but not well enough to do the wall and several steps, I am not worried about doing the cable car, is there much in the port area that will be open on a Sunday?

Thanks you for all your help.

Sara

Not much to see in the Gruz port. My suggestion is to find a local tour here and let them drive you on a panorama tour. You will get a wonderful overview of the town and be able to stop at a few viewpoints. Also arrange for the driver to take you up to the top of Mt Srd and forget the cable car, it has over 100 steps to reach the entrance. Most of our taxi drivers will do the tour, but I do suggest you find and reserve one prior to your arrival. Let them know you need space for your wheelchair in their trunk. I assume you are bringing a fold up.

Hope this helps you.

Not much to see in the Gruz port. My suggestion is to find a local tour here and let them drive you on a panorama tour. You will get a wonderful overview of the town and be able to stop at a few viewpoints. Also arrange for the driver to take you up to the top of Mt Srd and forget the cable car, it has over 100 steps to reach the entrance. Most of our taxi drivers will do the tour, but I do suggest you find and reserve one prior to your arrival. Let them know you need space for your wheelchair in their trunk. I assume you are bringing a fold up.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you very much dubrovniktravelady this is a great help. Yes I am bring a a folding wheelchair.

Dubrovniktravelady - Thank you for all of the wonderful advice you give. I only read thru 20 pages - mostly the last year, but I feel I have a good grasp of Dubrovnik. I am looking forward to my trip in May.

Many Thanks! Kathy

Thank you, my writings are about education and it is a labor of love for my retirement home. Please do keep in mind that the original thread began a few years ago and many of the entrance fees to historical sites have changed. Enjoy.

Dubrovniktravelady, took your advice from another thread and booked a local tour guide. Figure it is our only stop in Croatia and we want to make the most of it. He has us doing the walls last around 4 pM since it is such a crowded port day. Will see the panorama, do some local sightseeing, then go to Cavtat and come back for the walls. Hope it sounds like a good plan to you. I am excited.

Thanks for your input.

Dubrovniktravelady, took your advice from another thread and booked a local tour guide. Figure it is our only stop in Croatia and we want to make the most of it. He has us doing the walls last around 4 pM since it is such a crowded port day. Will see the panorama, do some local sightseeing, then go to Cavtat and come back for the walls. Hope it sounds like a good plan to you. I am excited.

Thanks for your input.

Sounds as though you have made a very good decision. The tour will give you a wonderful overview of the old part of town, learning some of the history and experience many lovely sites. Cavtat is magnificent, hope you have some time to spend down there on the Riva. Wave to me as I am often down at the waterfront, people watching and checking out the shoes trying to guess their home country.