Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

I am afraid I will not have time to do the whole wall. I was planning to do the sea side from the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate. However, due to some height issues and very slight physical concerns ( of one of our group ), I wondered which part of the wall is easier to do and less high ?

Thank you in advance for your advice?

One other question as I am dizzy from reading this thread for the last 5 hours!.

We only have 4 hours to spend unfortunately arrive 8am and depart 1pm and want to go to Mass as well. Am I correct in reading that there are only 3 entrances to the Wall and these are also the exits? Are there other ways off the wall if it is getting late and we need to depart for the ship?

It will depend on the Mass times as to when we decide to go up the wall. So sad to only have so little time with this stop!!!!

Thanks,

Cat

We paid €15 last week. Had the hard sell taxi panoramic tour as we drove out of port.

Taxi from the Pile gate to port was €10.

Thank you. We leave in two weeks. Planned on taxi to cable car, check out the views, walk to wall by the instructions listed on this board. Then check out the town and walk to sea side of the wall. Any other tips, suggestions based on your recent visit?

Dubrovniktravelady,

We have been able to visit your beautiful city several times and it has become our favorite port. We will once again be there on October 18 and October 22. We loved walking the city walls, taking the cable to Mt. Srd. and visiting the museum at the top. Of course, it always fun to spend time walking around in in the old city. We have not yet been to Ft. Lovrijenac and I understand there are some wonderful views from the top of the fort. I know it is outside Pile Gate and the pathway/alleyway is not marked very clearly. Where to do we purchase the ticket for the fort? Is it best to ask the cab driver to drop us to where the alleyway is located, or just drop us off at Pile Gate and walk from there. It looks like we will be in port on 10/18 from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. What time would the Ft. be open for tours? We are also wanting to walk the city walls again--this time on our own so we can time to get more pictures. Anyway, very excited to have two more chances to visit Dubrovnik.

We really appreciate all the great information that you provide for those of us visiting beautiful Dubrovnik.

Sherrie:)

Thank you. We leave in two weeks. Planned on taxi to cable car, check out the views, walk to wall by the instructions listed on this board. Then check out the town and walk to sea side of the wall. Any other tips, suggestions based on your recent visit?

The entrance to the old town from the cable car is about 2 mins walk (I'd read directions in here but I think they are a little outdated)

What else to do?

Depends how much you want to do? We were in Dubrovnik for 7 hours and did: -

The cable car. (Up, views & down)

Walked the whole walls.

Ate a nice leisurely lunch.

Wandered about.

Had a beer at the cliff side bar (pricey, but I'd do it again)

Had another wander.

Sat at a pavement bar and watched the world go by.

There's loads more to do, as you've read here, but we were more than happy with our experience.

Dubrovniktravelady,

We have been able to visit your beautiful city several times and it has become our favorite port. We will once again be there on October 18 and October 22. We loved walking the city walls, taking the cable to Mt. Srd. and visiting the museum at the top. Of course, it always fun to spend time walking around in in the old city. We have not yet been to Ft. Lovrijenac and I understand there are some wonderful views from the top of the fort. I know it is outside Pile Gate and the pathway/alleyway is not marked very clearly. Where to do we purchase the ticket for the fort? Is it best to ask the cab driver to drop us to where the alleyway is located, or just drop us off at Pile Gate and walk from there. It looks like we will be in port on 10/18 from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. What time would the Ft. be open for tours? We are also wanting to walk the city walls again--this time on our own so we can time to get more pictures. Anyway, very excited to have two more chances to visit Dubrovnik.

We really appreciate all the great information that you provide for those of us visiting beautiful Dubrovnik.

Sherrie:)

Best way to get to Ft Lovrijenac is via Pile Bay. You can buy tickets at the door and they should be 30 Kuna, also keep them when you walk the wall as it is part of the wall ticket. You should only have to pay 60 kuna more to do the wall again. Find the easy steps is not easy, you can see the old original ones from the bay, not difficult but smaller steps. enjoy the view is lovely.

The entrance to the old town from the cable car is about 2 mins walk (I'd read directions in here but I think they are a little outdated)

What else to do?

Depends how much you want to do? We were in Dubrovnik for 7 hours and did: -

The cable car. (Up, views & down)

Walked the whole walls.

Ate a nice leisurely lunch.

Wandered about.

Had a beer at the cliff side bar (pricey, but I'd do it again)

Had another wander.

Sat at a pavement bar and watched the world go by.

There's loads more to do, as you've read here, but we were more than happy with our experience.

Wow, I cannot imagine how you got from the cable car to the old town entrance, either at Ploce or Pile gate in 2 minutes! Normal walking down should take about 15 minutes, easy stroll and several great photo stops along the way.

I have just asked my DW, how long did it take us to get from the cable car to the old town gate? 5 minutes if that!

ImageUploadedByForums1380064202.284768.jpg.748132e98a88b3174a176e79a37edff0.jpg

Sorry for the poor image quality (from a fruit based map app)

As far as I can remember the town entrance is the square bottom left and the cable car is the white building top right.

Are we getting wires crossed. It only took us 2 mins to get into the old town, not onto the wall itself.

Best way to get to Ft Lovrijenac is via Pile Bay. You can buy tickets at the door and they should be 30 Kuna, also keep them when you walk the wall as it is part of the wall ticket. You should only have to pay 60 kuna more to do the wall again. Find the easy steps is not easy, you can see the old original ones from the bay, not difficult but smaller steps. enjoy the view is lovely.

Thanks for this information.

We were in Dubrovnik about 10 days ago and had the privilege of meeting and spending several hours with the Dubrovniktravelady. She is a remarkable person having given up the security of her California home and life and moving to Dubrovnik to live. We had a wonderful time with her and she is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about her adopted home and the people who live there....I mean she knows everyone from the barber, the jeweler, the restaurateur and literally the candlestick maker. I am sure that she will be up and running offering her sage advice on this thread soon as her new laptop is about to arrive from the US. Thanks for the great time, you made our day.:)

• 2 weeks later...
We were in Dubrovnik about 10 days ago and had the privilege of meeting and spending several hours with the Dubrovniktravelady. She is a remarkable person having given up the security of her California home and life and moving to Dubrovnik to live. We had a wonderful time with her and she is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about her adopted home and the people who live there....I mean she knows everyone from the barber, the jeweler, the restaurateur and literally the candlestick maker. I am sure that she will be up and running offering her sage advice on this thread soon as her new laptop is about to arrive from the US. Thanks for the great time, you made our day.:)

Computer has arrived and I am back! Thank you for your lovely comments, it was indeed a pleasure to spend time with you and your wife. Heather's determination to continue to travel despite a disability is inspiring. Hope we can meet again for another gelato!

Computer has arrived and I am back! Thank you for your lovely comments, it was indeed a pleasure to spend time with you and your wife. Heather's determination to continue to travel despite a disability is inspiring. Hope we can meet again for another gelato!

Nice to see you are back up an running....you have been missed.:)

• 3 weeks later...
Wow! Great info Dubrovniktravelady . . . thanks. We'll be there on M/V Artemis (GCT's small, 50 pax boat) in a little more than two weeks. Do you happen to know where she docks?

Our port authority website shows your ship docking in our Gruz harbor. However I do hope the hours are incorrect as they show your arrival at 8 pm and departure at 4am. I certainly wonder the ship is here only a few hours or it is an overnight, as our website does not indicate. If it is correct and it may not be, then you have only a very short few hours here during the night when everything is closed! Please do let me know what your itinerary shows.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

We paid €15 last week. Had the hard sell taxi panoramic tour as we drove out of port.

Taxi from the Pile gate to port was €10.

Have heard that this "panoramic" taxi tour can be a good way of seeing the major sites prior to doing a walking tour of the old town and walls, does this make sense, how easy or otherwise is it to get a taxi? We'll be there next June and I'm looking at various options, would really appreciate any input from Dubrovniktravelady and the others who've been to this lovely port, thanks:)

Have heard that this "panoramic" taxi tour can be a good way of seeing the major sites prior to doing a walking tour of the old town and walls, does this make sense, how easy or otherwise is it to get a taxi? We'll be there next June and I'm looking at various options, would really appreciate any input from Dubrovniktravelady and the others who've been to this lovely port, thanks:)

Taxis are waiting at the port for all ship arrivals, very easy. Many drivers will offer a panorama tour and I am sure fees vary. I do not know how good their tours will be and cannot recommend any specific details. I have, this season, done a panorama tour with a car and driver and thoroughly enjoyed it with a local touring company. Unfortunately the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to post any specifics as a local resident. You may want to do more google search, there will be a multitude of firms displayed.

Dear Dubrovniktravelady,

We were recently in Dubrovnik and decided to walk the walls of the Old Town. We were under the impression that the cost would not be very high although it would have to be paid either in local Kuna or with a credit card. We used our credit card as euros had been acceptable elsewhere. We have now received our credit card bill and the charge shown for two of us to walk the walls is 120 Kuna or approximately £20 Sterling (around 18 euros).

This seems to be about double the price we expected to have to pay. Do you know if this is correct and, if not, how can we query it please? We can contact our credit card company but don't know how to prove the cost of walking the walls if we have been overcharged.

Your advice and help will, as always, be invaluable.

Our port authority website shows your ship docking in our Gruz harbor. However I do hope the hours are incorrect as they show your arrival at 8 pm and departure at 4am. I certainly wonder the ship is here only a few hours or it is an overnight, as our website does not indicate. If it is correct and it may not be, then you have only a very short few hours here during the night when everything is closed! Please do let me know what your itinerary shows.

We do arrive at those times, with a full day in between! 2000 arrival the 16th and a 0400 departure on the 18th (I think I have those dates correct. Any thing worth seeing, visiting at night after we dock?

Dear Dubrovniktravelady,

We were recently in Dubrovnik and decided to walk the walls of the Old Town. We were under the impression that the cost would not be very high although it would have to be paid either in local Kuna or with a credit card. We used our credit card as euros had been acceptable elsewhere. We have now received our credit card bill and the charge shown for two of us to walk the walls is 120 Kuna or approximately £20 Sterling (around 18 euros).

This seems to be about double the price we expected to have to pay. Do you know if this is correct and, if not, how can we query it please? We can contact our credit card company but don't know how to prove the cost of walking the walls if we have been overcharged.

Your advice and help will, as always, be invaluable.

The entrance fee for the wall is 90 Kuna per person, your charge should have been 180 Kuna for two adults. The price is posted at the ticket counter, I can't imagine that you did not notice it. If you were only charge 120 Kuna, then you got a bargain.

We do arrive at those times, with a full day in between! 2000 arrival the 16th and a 0400 departure on the 18th (I think I have those dates correct. Any thing worth seeing, visiting at night after we dock?

There is not much at the harbor, the old part of town will be open but no historical sites. You will find a few cafes, bars and a very limited number of restaurants. Sunset will be about 1700, so perhaps it may be wise to make plans to arrive in town the next morning by 0900 when the sites open.

There is not much at the harbor, the old part of town will be open but no historical sites. You will find a few cafes, bars and a very limited number of restaurants. Sunset will be about 1700, so perhaps it may be wise to make plans to arrive in town the next morning by 0900 when the sites open.

Guess I'll just "stretch my legs" if needed, dinner on board will be 1900. Of course if you have a great restaurant suggestion we may eat in town. We have included tours, then to Gromaca for "home hosted" dinner on our full day.