Captain Larry and Orca Enterprises

tigerdadky

Would love to hear from some people who have done the whale watching with Captain Larry in Juneau.

Highly recommend Orca and Capt. Larry! Think I'm going back with him this year and am going to keep my fingers crossed that it won't be raining like last year! (As others have said on here - the whales didn't seem to know that it was raining - afterall, they're in the water already!:p)

How bad does the rain effect the tour. I know the boat has inside viewing but, does that alter the viewing very much.

Well, from my experience, the rain probably diminishes the experience about 1/3. You can stay inside the boat, sitting at the tables and still have a very good view. Don't let rain deter you from doing anything in Alaska - the Alaska panhandle IS a rainforest - just keep on keeping on if it is raining and be glad if it isn't!:D:D

We just booked with Orca Enterprises for our upcoming Alaska cruise based on the recommendations of previous cruisers.

Just note that it can take up to 2 weeks to get your confirmation email. It took about 2 weeks for us to get our confirmation.

How bad does the rain effect the tour. I know the boat has inside viewing but, does that alter the viewing very much.

it rained for us...DH stayed inside, all warm and toasty. (it was sleeting, also). i went outside. i was dressed for it and well prepared. loved it!!

our tour was mid-sept...that time frame is known for rain.

We had the great fortune to go out with Captain Larry last July and we are booked to go again with him this July!! This time bringing a 6 year-old granddaughter who is VERY excited to see the whales. We had a whale that came right up next to the boat....slowly surfaced....looked us in the eye (I swear!!!) and slowly sank back down. Everyone was speechless! Enjoy!!!! :D

I did go out with Capt Larry in Aug 08 partially based upon recommendations I saw on this board and had a good experience. My disappointment was in the boat; everyone had to be in the cabin when the boat was moving. For the whale watching there was a small upper (outdoor)viewing platform that could accommodate 4-5 persons. You had to take turns to have good viewing and the crew member was not good at seeing that everyone got a chance to be in the prime viewing spot. Capt Larry didn't do the commentary; it was a crew member. Any time a whale was spotted, the crew member encouraged loud yelling and hoorays. This troubled me somewhat; I was in awe and the cheerleading seemed to lessen the beauty of the moment. Just my opinion.

It was rainy but this was not a problem. Got to see plenty of whales and that was an awesome experience. I understand Capt Larry has several boats and perhaps I was on a less ideal one. I return to Alaska in July and I think I will either seek out a smaller vessel for whale watching or will choose one where you have the option of being "topside" longer.

I did go out with Capt Larry in Aug 08 partially based upon recommendations I saw on this board and had a good experience. My disappointment was in the boat; everyone had to be in the cabin when the boat was moving. For the whale watching there was a small upper (outdoor)viewing platform that could accommodate 4-5 persons. You had to take turns to have good viewing and the crew member was not good at seeing that everyone got a chance to be in the prime viewing spot. Capt Larry didn't do the commentary; it was a crew member. Any time a whale was spotted, the crew member encouraged loud yelling and hoorays. This troubled me somewhat; I was in awe and the cheerleading seemed to lessen the beauty of the moment. Just my opinion.

It was rainy but this was not a problem. Got to see plenty of whales and that was an awesome experience. I understand Capt Larry has several boats and perhaps I was on a less ideal one. I return to Alaska in July and I think I will either seek out a smaller vessel for whale watching or will choose one where you have the option of being "topside" longer.

won't matter which boat...the insurance is not going to allow a passenger to stay in the upper viewing area while in motion. i couldn't stay in the aft open area, either. all passenger must be inside while in motion.

i went when it was raining and sleeting, i could picture someone flying off of the roof viewing as slick as it was. we had white caps, on auke bay, the ride was NOT smooth..another reason for all passengers to be inside while in motion. even when stopped i got knocked around by the waves.

all the boats have safety rules.

I can't answer whether it's allowed or not but I spent the entire trip on the aft deck during our tour 2 years ago - perhaps they didn't know I was there but there were several of us snuggled up behind the cabin. Got some wonderful shots of Mendenhall Glacier as we headed out. My group loved the experience - Captain Larry found a bubble-net feeding which was a rare treat. We found him skillful and very knowledgeable and counted it as one of our vacation highlights.

We just booked with Orca Enterprises for our upcoming Alaska cruise based on the recommendations of previous cruisers.

Just note that it can take up to 2 weeks to get your confirmation email. It took about 2 weeks for us to get our confirmation.

I had my confirmation in 2 days, might be that we are only 2 weeks from cruising, there were some really nice ladies at the office I talked with.

I can't answer whether it's allowed or not but I spent the entire trip on the aft deck during our tour 2 years ago - perhaps they didn't know I was there but there were several of us snuggled up behind the cabin. Got some wonderful shots of Mendenhall Glacier as we headed out. My group loved the experience - Captain Larry found a bubble-net feeding which was a rare treat. We found him skillful and very knowledgeable and counted it as one of our vacation highlights.

You can be out on the aft deck your entire trip. You can NOT be on the upper deck, when the boat is significantly moving. They will call everyone down.

I've been on Allen Marine boats that did the same thing. The top front observation deck was roped off, until at the South Sawyer Glacier.

Be sure and ask to get on the PURPLE boat. It has the indoor viewing area with plenty of seating and a large outdoor area on the back of the boat. Not a bad view from either place!!

All his boats are purple. Color of Royality. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We went out with Capt Larry in 05. It was amazing! There were about a dozen or so people on board if I remember correctly, all were from our ship. The boat was very comfortable with plent of viewing space for everybody. I got some amazing pictures as we were literally right up next to the whales! The captain and crew were very kind, helpful and knowledgable. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Archived