How long before ships head back to Mexico?

CUTIEBUGME2

I copied this from the cruise critics news section, now how long before the cruise lines accept Mexico's offer? I hope soon!!

Cruise News

Home > Cruise News > Swine Flu Update: Mexico Tries to Woo Cruise Ships Back pixel.gifMay 11, 2009pixel.gifSwine Flu Update: Mexico Tries to Woo Cruise Ships Backmexico_map.jpg Update, 5:15 p.m. EDT: According to cruise-community.com, Mexico ports will be offering cruise lines a 50 percent reduction on port taxes for the next three months in an effort to coax them back to the region. That amounts to reduction of about $165 million, should lines take advantage of the offer. However, they're all sailing elsewhere at the present time.

Most cruises aren't expected to resume until mid to late June.

As difficult of a decision it was to make to pull out of Mexico, I would imagine it was even more difficult to find new ports at the last minute especially on the West Coast. I would also imagine that the Port Authorities of the new port stops wanted contracts in place for a certain amount of time before guaranteeing dock space for these huge ships.

There are some issues, that complicate the decision. I know one poster who contacted his insurance and his insurance would be null and void if the ship went to Mexico because of the travel advisatory, his whole insurance, not just coverage in Mexico. He was from the UK, but Im sure it could affect others.

There are some issues, that complicate the decision. I know one poster who contacted his insurance and his insurance would be null and void if the ship went to Mexico because of the travel advisatory, his whole insurance, not just coverage in Mexico. He was from the UK, but Im sure it could affect others.

Evidently ships have a similar problem. They are required by their insurance companies to follow CDC advisories. So ships probably won't be returning until the CDC lifts it's travel restrictions on Mexico. That said, when there are now more "reported cases" of the flu in Florida than in Mexico, if the CDC puts a travel restriction on Florida, we're all sunk:eek: (I say "reported" because these are from releases of backlogged test results and no one is reporting on how many of these folks are still sick or how long ago the tests were first sent to the CDC. So a stat may show up today as a new case but it was actually sent in back in mid April after the person had been sick for 3-4 days and was back on their feet 2 days later so they've been well for 3 weeks or more)

Archived