Buenos Aires - Looking For A Good, Safe Hotel

LFM

Can someone please point me in the right direction for a good and safe hotel in BA? The Mariott doesn't get very good reviews on Trip Advisor. How about the Hilton or something similar?

Can someone please point me in the right direction for a good and safe hotel in BA? The Mariott doesn't get very good reviews on Trip Advisor. How about the Hilton or something similar?

Wow, sorry to hear about the Marriott. I was there in 2007 and was pleased with the room and overall cleanliness of the Hotel. It is nestled in a great location. :confused:

While neither is an American chain, we stayed at the Reino del Plata for one night (a block off Plaza de Mayo) and then, as planned, moved to a B&B in San Telmo called Rick's Place. We loved Rick's Place and if we had had to stay at the Reino del Plata for our entire stay, it would have been just fine. Both were a cheap cab ride the port. Also, both were cleaned and well maintained, though the our room at Reino del Plata was small (but not unmanageably small) by US standards.

Since you have already consulted tripadvisor in re the Marriott , why not simply continue searching there for info/reviews of similar hotels of that category? In Bs As there are many hotels of all categories from which to choose. You need not be overly concerned with the safety of a hotel and certainly not one in the category of a Marriott or Hilton. As far as big cities go, Bs As is pretty safe so good hotels will generally not be located in areas of high crime streets.

Hello,

We had a truly wonderful stay at the Hilton Buenos Aires in late April of 2009. This hotel really has it all, but this level does not come inexpensively but I would try. Very nice rooms, great pool, excellent and very helpful staff, and a very safe area. Taxi to the cruise terminal is less than 15 minutes and less than $10.00.

Fred

We really liked the Intercontinental.

We stayed at the Tryp Buenos Aires. Check Trip Advisor and do a search on this board. Highly recommended. (http://www.solmelia.com)

We often stay at TRYP hotels (part of Sol Melia chain from Spain - very good English spoken by staff) in Europe and they are always excellent, well run, and very nice rooms and bathrooms. Also, reasonably priced. Not high luxury, but business class.

The Hilton is great, but a lot more expensive.

Look at the first few B and B establishments on Trip Avisor Buenos Aires. They do seem awesome with great prices. Read the mumerouse 5 star reviews and make your own mind up. I have just decided to not book a hotel for my 4 day stay there next February but to instead book into the Casa Palermitano B and B. How can you not book it when you read the consistently beautiful reviews?

We stayed at The Claridge in 2007 and loved it. It is a smaller, older hotel, very clean, elegant and very European. (The Queen of England actually stayed there before.) They do have a website - just search under The Claridge Buenos Aires on the internet.

When we stayed, the hotel actually provided private transportation from the airport to the hotel and would have done so in reverse, except for the fact that we were not returning from our cruise to Buenos Aires.

The Concierge and Bell staff of the hotel actually remembered who we were and greeted us by name anytime when came and went. It was a wonderful stay and we would certainly stay there again.

While Buenos Aires is a very large city, hotels are concentrated in four or five neighborhoods, all of which are within a 20 minute cab ride from the cruise docks.

Downtown a busy commercial center...tends to be less hectic at night....there are variations in the atmosphere within the downtown area....the poshest spots are Puerto Madero and the Retiro/Plaza San Martin areas(Claridge, Marriott, Hilton, Sofitel, Tryp, NH Jousten, Regal Pacific, Intercontinental and the Holiday Inn Express, Sheraton, Sheraton Libertador and the Faena). The emphasis in the downtown are is on international chain hotels.....

Recoleta....the Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt, Art Suites (not to be confused with the Art Hotel), Melia Recoleta, the old world Alvear Palace are a few of the hotels found in this upscale neighborhood (upper East Side New York-ish)....

Palermo Soho/Hollywood...hotels in this hip, tr4endy area are small boutiques...the Legado Mitico, MiraVida Soho and Home are among my favorites...there are several newly opened hotels I have not visited so I cannot comment.

About the Marriott...I am a Trip Advisor Destination Expert for Buenos Aires...generally, I agree with TA reviews about hotels...but not in this instance: The Plaza Marriott was the first luxury hotel built in Buenos Aires....at a time when every room was different...Some of the negative reviews reflect the individual room and not the hotel itself....rooms overlooking Plaza San Martin tend to be larger and better equipped....

The Plaza Grill serves some of the best steaks in Buenos Aires. The Plaza Bar was rated by Forbes Magazine as one of the 10 best bars for business in the world....it is a very nice environment for sipping a Martini (in a city not known for good martinis)....

The hotel does tend to get crowded, since it is used by many tour groups....but if you can manage an early or late check out and avoid the lines, the service at the hotel is excellent....

While Buenos Aires is a very large city, hotels are concentrated in four or five neighborhoods, all of which are within a 20 minute cab ride from the cruise docks.

Recoleta....the Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt, Art Suites (not to be confused with the Art Hotel), Melia Recoleta, the old world Alvear Palace are a few of the hotels found in this upscale neighborhood (upper East Side New York-ish)....

quote]

We're staying at the Art Suites in February. Could I ask what your impressions of this aparthotel might be, if you know?

Thanks,

Mary

quote]

We're staying at the Art Suites in February. Could I ask what your impressions of this aparthotel might be, if you know?

Thanks,

Mary

----

Hi Mary

I stayed at Art Suites three times back in 2001 and 2002, just after they opened. I had a great experiences each time. The location is good on a relatively quiet street (Azcuenaga)...near restaurants, a large grocery store, and shopping on Ave. Santa Fe. Rooms are spacious and stylishly decorated.

While I have not stayed at Art Suites in several years, I have referred a number of people there over the years and I have received lots of "thanks" from people who enjoyed themselves..and who found the day and night time staff to be very helpful....

Enjoy Art Suites and Buenos Aires...

Hi Dr_D,

I appreciate the recommendation of the Art Suites. We really liked the look of the hotel and the spaciousness of the apartments. We usually try to book aparthotels - I feel the sizes of the apartments are usually well worth the money, which in many cases are comparable to single hotel rooms.

Recoleta is a nice residential area, which we opted for, rather than staying in center city places. It's a much quieter area (most of the time)!

We love BA and will most definitely enjoy our return. Thanks, again.

Mary

Hi Dr_D,

I appreciate the recommendation of the Art Suites. We really liked the look of the hotel and the spaciousness of the apartments. We usually try to book aparthotels - I feel the sizes of the apartments are usually well worth the money, which in many cases are comparable to single hotel rooms.

Recoleta is a nice residential area, which we opted for, rather than staying in center city places. It's a much quieter area (most of the time)!

We love BA and will most definitely enjoy our return. Thanks, again.

Mary

--

It is difficult to appreciate just how great a city BA is until you spend time in one of the more residential neighborhoods away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. My personal preference is Palermo Chico/Botanico...but many people prefer Recoleta..and both are preferable to downtown in my opinion. Enjoy BA....Again!

We stayed at the Marriott in Feb. and loved it. It is a beautiful, grand hotel. But while there, as anywhere in S.A., do not go out with flashy jewelry, watches, etc. Two women got their watches and necklaces ripped right off their bodies while we were there.

Archived