Asked to speak at RCCL event

We attended the 'event' yesterday. It was very nice and we really enjoyed ourselves. The speaker was Sara and she is active on these boards. She was excellent. Well prepared. Has cruised on RC 20 times and on a few other lines as well. We had wondered why we were not selected but it became very clear that RC was looking for someone to speak about the South America itineraries. It wasn't really a hard sell for RC but cruising in general.

There were about 20 attendees and two reps from RC, one of which was in from Miami as an observer. We spoke to her afterwards and the main issue is that the coffee shop locations are too noisy. Seattle's Best Coffee did a short coffee tasting with small snacks and it was very enjoyable. They also presented the speaker with a bag of coffee.

There were lots of questions from the floor about Alaska, Hawaii and Mexico. Not much interest in South America.

We signed up for the free cruise drawing and there was a short survey at the end.

It was fun. I would go again.

That's good to hear! I'm glad it went well.

Hi. I am the Sara who did the presentation in Everett yesterday. Thanks for the nice review Sally R! I thought about asking RCL for an OBC or something to do it - sort of changing the arrangement like RCL did to the loyalty benefits. But then I thought if they paid me I would be saying what they wanted and not what I thought was important and that a paid speaker is less believable than a volunteer. It was on a Saturday so it didn't interfere with work and it was fun - especially comparing notes with Sally. The next best thing to being on a cruise is talking about cruising. I thought RCL did everything to show their appreciation - the book and notebook and the coffee - even though we don't drink coffee! They made it easy to do and provided a very broad suggested outline.

I never got an email asking if I wanted to do it - just a phone call. I didn't think to check here for a thread about the talks - Sally told me about it. And FYI - we have taken 20 cruises total, 11 on RCL. So not Diamond+ yet. But have done South America, Europe, Panama Canal, Hawaii, Alaska, Mexico and the Caribbean. They told me they were looking for people who had been on more exotic cruises.

Again - thanks for the kind words Sally and hope to run into you onboard someday.

Sara

The sad aspect to all this is that it's a marketing and PR wet dream.

-- Make customers feel special by inviting them as honored speakers (at a coffee shop), strengthening the Brand bond by playing to their vanities

-- Get customers to extol the virtues of the product to potential customers; this is far more valuable than any paid (local) advertising.

-- Get them to do it for free. No compensation required, such as, oh, something modest like $100 to $200 OBC, combinable with anything.

The cynical part of me wants to say they just stopped short of *charging* customers for the privilege to speak (ala Tom Sawyer charging people to paint his aunt's fence). We all know what Barnum said. Fast forward to today, and there's one of them born every second. Apologies in advance for being callous, but yuck.

Were it me, I would ask for an honorarium of $100 to $200 OBC to actually give a presentation; to see if they were serious. It's not as if it's an academic conference or non-profit situation where people aren't paid to present. It would still be good value for the Company and would have a lot less sleazy feel to it.

I'm saddened to think they'd resort to this sort of faux grassroots thing for the sake of winning a few additional customers. Makes me want to try Carnival, where some feel there's not even an attempt at being classy.

Don't get me wrong. I love RCI. But this makes me rather nauseous--and I've never had problems with sea-sickeness. But, to each her own. If you want to be an uncompensated spokesperson outside of cyberspace, be their guest. I doubt things will change now. Someone, somewhere may be terribly embarrassed if this turns out to be a PR / marketing disaster.

It's one thing if a group of Loyal Royals decided to form a club and do this on their own. For the Company to fabricate it and stage-manage it all--that speaks for itself. Saturn comes to mind--although I don't recall if that actually was customer-initiated, or was faux-customer initiated--the idea of some overpaid PR firm?

I so totally agree with you. I love cruising and talk about it to friends all the time, but no way on this green earth would I talk to a bunch of people because Royal Caribbean asked me to when they took away so many things. I think RCI has more nerve, but the people taking the offer must either love speaking to anyone everyone or think that something good will come of it.

I truly can't imagine anyone who is a Diamond member going to a "meeting" and saying how wonderful RCI is. I do believe these meetings are being held before the major changes in Diamond membership take place for a reason.

RCI is going to get free advertising from these talks and I am just amazed at all of you who have said you would love to do it. I guess being Diamond Plus and seeing what has been taken away from Diamonds, the lessening of quality of food, the coupon books, the wine tasting etc. etc. etc., your glass is still half full while mine is almost empty.

I was just curious because mine is scheduled for 6 PM I think it is bad time.

Mine is at 6:00 too, but I think that's a good time. Personally I'd be more inclined to stop on my way home from work than cut into my weekend to stop what I was doing to go... but that's just me I guess... Hopefully you will have a nice audience. If it was just a "little" closer, I come see you!

Thanks sara, wondered how experienced the cruisers are that are picked to talk. And you answered it. Exotic!

Of the "exotic" places on their list, the only one we have been to is Alaska.

We have been on 30 RCL cruises so I think that was also a factor.

It looks like the ones that are Thursday and Friday are at 6pm. The one on the weekends are at 2pm. I am not sure if one is a better time than the other or not.

They may need to do some more work on marketing the events if they continue. They seem to be getting people to sign up to attend but from what I heard only about 25-30% that sign up actually attend.

How do you find out where and when these events are? I'm in Toms River, NJ and would like to know how to find one of them. I'd like to see how they do it and who comes to it. Just curious I guess.

You might try doing a google search. I know that the Bay area events are listed.

I so totally agree with you. I love cruising and talk about it to friends all the time, but no way on this green earth would I talk to a bunch of people because Royal Caribbean asked me to when they took away so many things. I think RCI has more nerve, but the people taking the offer must either love speaking to anyone everyone or think that something good will come of it.

I truly can't imagine anyone who is a Diamond member going to a "meeting" and saying how wonderful RCI is. I do believe these meetings are being held before the major changes in Diamond membership take place for a reason.

RCI is going to get free advertising from these talks and I am just amazed at all of you who have said you would love to do it. I guess being Diamond Plus and seeing what has been taken away from Diamonds, the lessening of quality of food, the coupon books, the wine tasting etc. etc. etc., your glass is still half full while mine is almost empty.

Hi Katie,

How much has the quality of the food declined? I hear that a lot. Is it true that, say, 10 or 20 years ago (or less?), food in the MDR was as good as the food in Portofinos or Chops? Hard to believe, because I don't know how any kitchen on any large ship can serve fabulous food to that many people (in the MDR). With a specialty restaurant, the idea is that the kitchen is smaller and more attention can be paid to preparing individual meals. But then that may be cruise line propaganda. :-) Even if it was more difficult to mass-produce great food, if you start with better ingredients...

Also, with the better food of whatever time period (randomly chose 10 to 20 years ago), what was the proportionate cost of a cruise back then compared with today? In "real dollars", is it more expensive or less expensive to cruise? And is the food of today in part a reflection of that? Not trying to defend anyone. Just trying to figure out what the facts are. I hear this a lot, but wonder how true it all is--or if it's misremembering.

To get the former quality of food in the MDR of a Royal Caribbean ship, to which cruise line does one now have to "upcharge" oneself to?

I myself wasn't terribly impressed with the food in the MDR (2008 sailing). I ate most nights in Windjammers and wished I'd booked more than a single night in Portofinos (terrific). Didn't feel the quality of the food was worth sitting through a 2+ hour long meal, with all the formality that goes with it. Guess I feel a bit let down--you've got Iggy Pop playing on the slightly older adverts, but fairly stodgy formality in the MDR. I think Walt Disney World (particularly the restaurants at Epcot) has the right idea about serving great food in a casual environment for people on holiday. Although I've heard all the arguments, I still can't wrap my head around wanting to dress up to eat while on vacation. If I eat at all in the MDR, I prefer breakfast and lunch where it's truly casual. And there's topic drift for you.

As for loyalty programs, they're a good way to get people to forget that a business is only as good as its last product or service sold. Like others have said of themselves, a cruise line has to win my business every time I'm thinking of sailing. It's a well known psychological principle that the more a person is invested in something, the more vigorously they'll defend it--in part to not feel that they've made a mistake investing so deeply in whatever that thing is. I try to not get attached to loyalty programs for that reason. That said, Diamond cruisers "must be special--like everyone else" as the saying goes. :-) If there are so many Diamond members that RCI feels it can make significant cuts to that particular loyalty tier without alienating people, well, I guess that speaks for itself.

Here is what the email said. No compensation mentioned, but they will send you literature to prepare your talk.

As a Crown & Anchor Society member, you've had many unforgettable cruising experiences with us–memories you love sharing with friends and family. We'd like to invite you to now share those stories with others who also love traveling, but have never been on a cruise.

We would be honored to have you speak at an upcoming event in your area.

From June 17 through July 26, 2009, Royal Caribbean International® is hosting hour-long Coffee, Cruising, & Conversation events with our partner Seattle's Best Coffee at select café locations across the country. We believe your travel stories would make this program very successful.

With everything you've discovered throughout your travels, you've undoubtedly become one of the most experienced and credible travelers to talk about cruising to great destinations. Our focus will be on Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Alaska, Europe and the Baltics, the Mediterranean, and South America. In your own words, you would share your adventures for 15-20 minutes to the delight of approximately 30 guests. Along with your presentation, a Seattle's Best Coffee barista would educate the audience with intriguing coffee–tasting techniques.

To make structuring your presentation fun and easy, we would send you all the materials you need to create it in your own words. An event emcee would also be there to serve as your facilitator, and a Royal Caribbean employee may join you as well.

A Royal Caribbean representative may call you in the coming days to see if you're interested in speaking on our behalf. It's up to you, of course, but we'd love to have you share your stories.

Thank you for your consideration.

—Your friends at Royal Caribbean International®

No compensation? No thanks. They think we work for nothing in this country? The least they could do is offer a $200 credit. Keep dreaming RCI. You want me to do your marketing work for free. I don't think so.

No compensation? No thanks. They think we work for nothing in this country? The least they could do is offer a $200 credit. Keep dreaming RCI. You want me to do your marketing work for free. I don't think so.

You do raise an interesting issue. RCI is looking to improve their position by asking people, who have paid to cruise RCI in the past, to advertize for them free of compensation. So.... We pay RCI so we can cruise. RCI cuts back on its costs by taking things away from this group of people who pay to cruise. RCI then wants this group to go out and talk on their behalf without compensation. It does sound about as one sided as the cruise contract that we all sail under!

How do you find out where and when these events are? I'm in Toms River, NJ and would like to know how to find one of them. I'd like to see how they do it and who comes to it. Just curious I guess.

If that link posted does not tell you what you want to know, try calling C&A and asking them. Just a thought.:)

OK, to summarize -- there are people posting who would not speak on RCI's behalf for free, and there are those who would. There is a lot of passion among those who have posted saying they would not speak. Other than to express your opinion, which you have every right to do, what is your purpose for continuing to beat this drum? Personally speaking, I cruise to enjoy myself. If the day comes when I stop enjoying myself, I will stop cruising and move to something that does give me pleasure. I also post here for the pleasure of sharing my love of cruising, and since this thread has become so negative, I'll say my good-byes and move to a more enjoyable thread.

How much has the quality of the food declined? I hear that a lot. Is it true that, say, 10 or 20 years ago (or less?), food in the MDR was as good as the food in Portofinos or Chops? Hard to believe, because I don't know how any kitchen on any large ship can serve fabulous food to that many people (in the MDR). With a specialty restaurant, the idea is that the kitchen is smaller and more attention can be paid to preparing individual meals. But then that may be cruise line propaganda. :-) Even if it was more difficult to mass-produce great food, if you start with better ingredients...

The decline is VERY significant. As an example, in past years you would receive your main course on an empty plate and the assistant waiter had a divided tray with four or so veggies and ask which ones you cared for and how much. I liked a double portion of some and declined others. There was very little waste because you only took what you liked. On lobster night I didn't need veggies whereas now they come preplated and I waste them. I had duck last cruise and didn't eat any of the veggies, red cabbage that was pickled or something, what a waste. There used to be one pasta dish the head waiter prepared tableside. Now there is pasta and fish ad nauseum and not lamb, veal, real lobster tails or scampi (big prawns). Years ago they also didn't have mega ships with a gazillion passengers, they were mostly 600 passenger ships and the fares were slightly higher but not drastic.

You do raise an interesting issue. RCI is looking to improve their position by asking people, who have paid to cruise RCI in the past, to advertize for them free of compensation. So.... We pay RCI so we can cruise. RCI cuts back on its costs by taking things away from this group of people who pay to cruise. RCI then wants this group to go out and talk on their behalf without compensation. It does sound about as one sided as the cruise contract that we all sail under!

Its totally insane. Anyone who would do this for free needs to have their head examined.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry in advance for dredging this thread back up.

I'd like to hear how some of these chats went. Hopefully, they went better than the one I attended this past Saturday. The volunteer presenter did not show up, and the girl "representing" RCCL had never even been on a cruise before. :eek: We did get a Border's/Seattle's Best gift card for our inconvenience. What a way to ruin a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Hope any remaining events go better than this !

I did the one in Mt. Prospect, Il. There was not a RCCL rep there. The lady who came to assist was from the advertising agency. Which city did you go to? I considered my talk to be a success. There were many people there and all left excited about their next cruise. Many just wanted to stay after and talk. Sorry all the talks did not go as well.

Sorry in advance for dredging this thread back up.

I'd like to hear how some of these chats went. Hopefully, they went better than the one I attended this past Saturday. The volunteer presenter did not show up, and the girl "representing" RCCL had never even been on a cruise before. :eek: We did get a Border's/Seattle's Best gift card for our inconvenience. What a way to ruin a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Hope any remaining events go better than this !

Sorry to hear that! I went to the one in Mchenry this past week and there was a nice turn out. I thought the presenters did well. The coffee Barista was kind of funny but at 6:00pm not too many people were drinking coffee, so it didn't matter. But you are correct, the moderator didn't work for RCCL and had never been on a cruise! If you are "bored" on Wednesday night, come to the one in Algonquin. I promise to show up!

Sorry to hear that! I went to the one in Mchenry this past week and there was a nice turn out. I thought the presenters did well. The coffee Barista was kind of funny but at 6:00pm not too many people were drinking coffee, so it didn't matter. But you are correct, the moderator didn't work for RCCL and had never been on a cruise! If you are "bored" on Wednesday night, come to the one in Algonquin. I promise to show up!

I wish I could ! I think we had about 9 folks at the Crystal Lake event, 2 others showed up just to fill in the raffle and then leave. One lady "volunteered" to lead a group discussion, but it didn't really go that route and the chit-chat was all been there, done that.... so after the hour was up we said good-bye and left, I have no idea how long anyone else stayed! Glad to hear this was just a fluke, I had hoped these would be interesting ! Go get'em, Murphy !! :D

BTW, find out for me when they plan to draw this raffle and notify me. I will hold off on packing....lol !

Archived