what kind of bag do I need?

I'm just starting to write my final lists for stuff to take on my first cruise and need your advice.

My husband and I are going on a Med cruise and I'm trying to work out what kind/size of bag I should take for shore trips. I'm thinking I need to carry; suncream, waterproof jacket, hairbrush, bottle of water, camera. Is there anything else I need to take? What kind of bag do you carry?

thanks for any help advice :)

I usually carry a simple bag that I can carry over my should with the strap that crosses over the front of my chest. I like that style for security reasons. Inside I carry what you have, plus maybe bug screen, and copies of Passports (if you are not taking originals with you on land). I have also carried some small souvenirs from home and left them with people we met or excurisons who were special, did a little extra, or just looked like they might enjoy a little something...:)

I wouldn't bring too large of a bag, as you will end up being the "pack mule"...no fun!

Put the sunscreen on BEFORE you leave the ship--I wouldn't carry that with me! Let hubby carry something, too!

I just carry a moderate sized purse--I don't have it "strapped" to my body, but I do keep hold of it all the time!

We only bring 1 credit card and a moderate amount of cash--the card our ship's account is linked to stays on the ship, just in case! Both of us carry some of the cash, just in case!

Try not to carry too much..it will be tiresome after a couple hours!

I prefer the drawstring backpacks from places like Nike or similar. It's lightweight and holds a lot. I have one I bought that has smaller pockets on the front and I keep smaller items in there and use the big part for larger items like a jacket or something. They fold really small for packing as well.

After reading about potential pickpocket problems in the Med, I ordered myself a PacSafe bag. It's very small, but big enough for the important stuff like money, ID, etc. and I can wear it "girl-scout" style across my front. For the rest of my stuff, I'm going to take some advice that I read somewhere on CC and get a mid-size backpack that will fold into my luggage. A lot easier on your back and shoulders than a tote bag that you keep adding stuff to all day!

Donia

I agree with eritouma....a crossbody bag is what I use when I am

going on a sightseeing tour or just sightseeing on my own:)

I want to be "Hands Free":D

I prefer to carry a small, crossbody purse for excursions, it's a drag to be loaded down with a heavy bag plus you end up being a catch-all for everyone else.

I saw a lot of small leather bags in the Med. A bag with front pockets would be nice too:

_5800067.jpg

Although I'm not crazy for Juicy, especially the hangage on this bag, the shape is good:

_5839936.jpg

I thought I would be carrying water around as well, but I would leave my bottle in the van or bus most of the time.

zoomRegionRectangle.png

Thank you for all of your help. You've reassured me that I don't need to carry too much. Great idea about the credit card! I'd not thought of that. I think I'm gonna treat myself to a new bag this weekend, maybe get a small one for me and a backpack for my husband! :) Bug spray! oops forgot that - adding it to my list now!

We only bring 1 credit card and a moderate amount of cash--the card our ship's account is linked to stays on the ship, just in case! Both of us carry some of the cash, just in case!

Most of our cruises required the ship's card as identification when reboarding.

Most cruiseline's do that now and all the ones I have been on

also want another form of ID as well. I always hear them say

bring your seapass AND another ID. My passport goes with me.

That is one of the reasons I wear a cross-body bag.

This is my bag:

http://www.rei.com/product/763430

It is probably overkill for most travelers but it is great for moms. I still keep a change of clothes for my preschooler, wipes, snacks, water, etc. Even with all my kid "stuff" there is room for my camera, paperwork, souveniers and more.

Some of the features I especially like:

strap goes either way, many sling bags are fixed on one side or another

unisex - unlike a Vera Bradly, no excuse for the guys not to carry it, too

phone pocket on the strap

water bottle pocket on one side, zips closed when not in use

Most important to me is that it is just the right size for my needs. It took me a long time to find the perfect bag for me, but it was worth the effort.

• 1 month later...
I have this bag in pink: http://www.hammockbag.com/

I love it. It stretches out and holds everything (and I mean EVERYTHING). Two large beach towels, sunblock, tanning lotion, camera, credit cards, hat, shoes, etc. and it folds up and packs flat. It's fab.

i use a similar type for when i go food shopping as it keeps my hands free and i dont have to worry about putting my hand bag in the trolly/cart and having it stolen (it happened to my mum)

I find that putting a few more items in the bag make it bulky and in tends to bounce around on my hip.but i do like the safety aspect of it thought.

i do like back packs especially if i amgoing to be doing alot of walking but dont like the idea of some one comming up behind me and opening it

I use a Vera Bradley backpack. They also have one size larger than the one in the link below.

http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?dept=7&sku=10620%3a3

I use it to go on trips all the time!! It was wonderful in Disney on our last trip there.

It fits pretty much everything I need, it is a really good size! (The pic doesn't do the size justice) I love it because it is cotton so it is comfortable as well as washable. I also love it because it has a zipper pocket on the back of it, the part that lays against my back so I put my money, credit card, id's in there. No worries about anyone pick pocketing them.

Also, my DH has no problems carrying it!! He always jokes and says it takes a real man to carry Vera!! LOL.

I bought a Baggallini Wallet Bag because I didn't want to use a fanny pack. It's similar to the first photo in Happy ks's post. Here's the link to the Baggalini site where you can see the actual product:

http://www.baggallini.com/product1.asp?collection='wa'&product='WBL149'

I wanted something with a bit more capacity than my current fanny pack but would lay a bit flatter against my body. My next cruise is in September and I've been "test-driving" it; so far it's fit the bill on theme park trips and whatnot.

Most cruiseline's do that now and all the ones I have been on

also want another form of ID as well. I always hear them say

bring your seapass AND another ID. My passport goes with me.

That is one of the reasons I wear a cross-body bag.

I believe that cb at sea was referring to the credit card linked to their shipboard account, not the keycard (seapass) required to both disembark and embark the ship.

Some great suggestions here - thanks so much. It looks like I need to go shopping again.

Valerie:D

My cross the body bag includes the following:

- small bottle of hand sanitizer

- small package of towelettes

- toilet paper (save the "skimpy" rolls & flatten them)

- tissue

- lipstick

- cruise card & passport copies

- some cash & a credit card

- bottle of water (love the really small ones)

- Off Deep Woods towelettes (when necessary)

Archived