Mariner of the Seas - How is Portofino's vs. Chops?

We haven't been to either one before and would like to try them on my upcoming Mariner cruise on 5/24/09.

Thanks for your help.

My family has always liked Chops over Portofino but they are both REALLY good! We plan on eating in both on our up and coming cruise. Sea you soon! :D

I see you were on the Navigator, so you should be familiar with the "set-up".

If you have been on any Radiance Class ship, you would be disappointed in the Mariner's set-up. Chops and Portofinos are very elegant settings in the aft lounge area set aside from the Schooner Bar with dark woods and quiet surroundings on the Radiance Class.

On the Mariner, they are next to the Windjammer with a "Buffet" atmosphere surrounding them.

Hope This Helps.

We haven't been to either one before and would like to try them on my upcoming Mariner cruise on 5/24/09.

Thanks for your help.

We prefer Porofino's on Mariner. Both are excellent, but I like the atmosphere and the service at Portofino's over Chops.

Try them both, you won't be disappointed.

Being we haven't been to either restaurant (even when we were on the Navigator of the Seas), I was wondering how the food and service was on one versus the other.

Also, any comments you all had regarding them and what maybe item in particular you just "loved" to eat in them.

I have heard that "Chops" is more a steakhouse (I also pulled up the menu off of the RCCL website). However, couldn't seem to pull up the menu for Portofino's.

Thank you.

Being we haven't been to either restaurant (even when we were on the Navigator of the Seas), I was wondering how the food and service was on one versus the other.

Also, any comments you all had regarding them and what maybe item in particular you just "loved" to eat in them.

I have heard that "Chops" is more a steakhouse (I also pulled up the menu off of the RCCL website). However, couldn't seem to pull up the menu for Portofino's.

Thank you.

Maybe that's because you are spelling it wrong. There is no 's in Portofino.

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=portofino+menu&new=1&source=chromeheader

Thank you.

We have eaten in both Chops and Portofino on the Mariner. Both are very nice, neither has a "buffet" atmosphere. The entrance to the restaurants is at the front of the Windjammer but each restaurant is completely separate.

Chops is a steakhouse with sides served family style. Our filets were good but I have had better at restaurants near my home.

We preferred Portofino. The seafood skewer is very good and we liked their filet better. The bread basket and spreads in Portofino are excellent. We found that the service was much better in Portofino and liked the overall atmosphere better.

I have only eaten at Portofinos and enjoyed the meal and service so much that we already reserved a table for our cruise in June. The food and service were excellent. Although, I have heard very good things about Chops, most people I've asked prefer Portofinos. With that being said, I'm sure you'd enjoy either one.

I was just on the Mariner two weeks ago and enjoyed both Chops and Portofino. I would have to say the meal in Portofino was outstanding. I had also sailed on the Serenade in March and actually liked our Chops meal on that ship more than my meal on Mariner. I'd say you can't go wrong with either, so look at both menus and if you can't decide try both. Worth every penny. I get to try both on the Freedom next month, can't wait!

I loved the seafood skewer and shrimp risotto at Portofino and the eggplant appetizer I had a taste of was amazing. I had the dessert sampler and liked two of the four offered. Another time I had the flourless chocolate cake which is very good.

At Chops I had the ribeye on the Serenade as well as a potato dish they have which is really amazing. The potato dish was not prepared the same on the Mariner, so I didn't like it as well. I had the lamb on the Mariner which was good. I do think the desserts at Chops are better and love their chocolate mud pie.

This is my first time on Mariner - so I guess I can't give an accurate comparison.

However, we ate at Chops on Navigator and Portofino on Adventure. Of THOSE two, we preferred Portofino better. We just like the menu options better in Portofino.

We've already booked a night at Portofino for our upcoming cruise on Mariner.

Archived