Prescriptions in bottles

mjdgarth

OP, yes, I carry my presciptions in their bottles. What I do is take out how many I'll need, plus a few more (you never know) and leave the rest at home. This way, I have what I need and the pills are in their correct bottles with my name on them. The rest are safely waiting for me at home, should something happen along the way.

I understand the 7-day carry packs might be convenient, but there is nothing to say what pills you have. Oh, you could take a copy of your prsecription, but is that sufficient? Who's to say that script is for that pill, KWIM?

Anyway, that's just me. I keep them in their bottles, yes, but just what I'll be needing for the trip.

Since we take very long cruises, pill boxes are not large enough for the multitude of vitamins we both take. I use little plastic envelopes and make two for each day; morning vitamins and evening vitamins. Any prescription meds or antibiotics are carried in their original bottles.

Also, never just bring as many meds as you need, what if, for some reason, your flight is lost, luggage lost, you are delayed for some reason?
I keep only one of my prescriptions in it's own small original bottle because the bottle is small and I take the prescription very rarely. My other prescriptions go into small plastic pill packets, which I identify with the generic drug name, that I put into a snack-sized Ziploc bag. As many of my trips are much longer than a week, taking multiple bottles of prescriptions is a pain. I've never been stopped or asked about my pills either in the U.S. or in any of the other countries I've arrived in or left from over the past several years, and if they took them away, it wouldn't be life-threatening for me.

I always bring an extra week's worth of pills and I NEVER, EVER put them in my luggage; not even the extras. They stay with me 100% of the time in my carry-on.

I usually like to take a small container of differant over the counter medications, tylonal, advill, aris, I got stopped at the US boarder a few years back and my purse was searched, i had to name every pill, thank goodness the customs guy was okay about it. in foregin countries they are not.example turkey, mexico. you could be put in prison for carrying drugs. certain drugs that are prescription here are not there and may be considered illegal and if you have a certain amount they could say you are trafficing, Lots of stories about oxy coden. if you dont have your prescriptions labeled properly they could nail you for it. it may seem bulky but it beats the alternative.

Another good reason for having medication in the bottle with the label on it is that if you need medical care or loose your medication in another country, the pharmacist or doctor will know what your medication is by the generic name that's on the label and can get you more or treat you properly. The trade/brand name is different everywhere, but the generic stays the same.

As a nurse, I'm always amazed at how many people don't know the names of their medications; it's usually "the pink pill." :p That won't help the foreign doctor much, so keep them in their bottles.

I've never been stopped or asked about my pills either in the U.S. or in any of the other countries I've arrived in or left from over the past several years, and if they took them away, it wouldn't be life-threatening for me.

Hi Pam...

Fortunately for you, it's not so much whether they take them from you or not..

when and if you are eventually stopped...

it's the time this process takes...have you built in the time?

My experience has been an additional 10-30 minutes that I have been detained and of course it's the thoughts that begin running through your mind as you are going through this that causes additional stress within you.

Do you feel comfortable having a man in an international airport

pat you down thoroughly while you stand spread eagle with your arms raised up?

This has happened to me in Paris, Riga, Split, Frankfurt and Istanbul

I have been searched numerous times in SFO by a woman

I know I'm a red flag, but I've seen others tagged to, with PRESCRIPTION BOTTLES so it's not only me..

Also, on a side note in Europe the airport sensors have been set more sensitive this year, than last year..

All women wearing an underwire bra were patted down further..a real joy...I'm sure the MEN security guards weren't bothered by it! :rolleyes:

I know most people rely on their past personal experiences to determine what they do in the future...

but this is truly I subject that I'm passionate about in educating others on...

so could you please at least put this in the back of your mind when you are heading off to the airport on your next adventure???? :o:)

Very simple, you don't need original packaging for scripts. I have traveled for decades and never used oringinal packaging. And if you keep them in your carry on "with you" no worries of loss.

For those that are paranoid, may want to have a separate dedicated piece of luggage for original packaging, written documentaion etc.:rolleyes:

Very simple, you don't need original packaging for scripts. I have traveled for decades and never used oringinal packaging. And if you keep them in your carry on "with you" no worries of loss.

For those that are paranoid, may want to have a separate dedicated piece of luggage for original packaging, written documentaion etc.:rolleyes:

Many of us here don't appreciate being called "paranoid" for stating what the law is. Just because you did not have trouble several decades ago, or even last week, does not mean that someone else will not have trouble tomorrow. Regulations are applied unevenly all over the world. One never knows when one will encounter the official that follows the rules to the tee. Hope that it is not in Dubai or Singapore, as many people have been arrested for what we would all consider VERY minor infractions.

Many of us here don't appreciate being called "paranoid" for stating what the law is. Just because you did not have trouble several decades ago, or even last week, does not mean that someone else will not have trouble tomorrow. Regulations are applied unevenly all over the world. One never knows when one will encounter the official that follows the rules to the tee. Hope that it is not in Dubai or Singapore, as many people have been arrested for what we would all consider VERY minor infractions.

I agree, I don't think it is paranoid. Whenever we are travelling internationally ( esp. flying) we always keep prescription medications in their original containers. I also try to purchase small bottles of OTC medications (like Advil, etc) and leave them sealed for the trip there. That way there is virtually no possibility that a border authority would think they have been tampered with (replaced with something illegal). I have had my medication bag searched at the airport and been asked what prescription meds are for, etc so it does happen. I also try to take a week or so more of prescription meds along just in case there are delays and we are not able to return home exactly when planned. If you are stranded somewhere you don't want to have to worry about your meds too.

Our OTC bottles have usually been opened for the trip home, but thats okay because if they really want to confiscate my Advil at the airport, I'd rather they do it on the return trip!

I don't think I'm paranoid, just safe with my medical conditions. I always have my original bottles with me, no matter where I go. More for my safety than security personnel. Yes, some of them are life threatening if I do not have them. I "double" the amounts and keep the "double" in my carry on, originals in my purse. Is it a pain? You betcha. But it is peace of mind for me knowing I'll have them if my purse is stolen I have a backup in my carry on or vice versa. I also keep a list of meds by name, mg and color and medical condtions in my wallet. DH has one in his too! Maybe its over kill for some folks, but I'm comfortable with it and that's the only thing that is important.

I agree. If one would birng everything to prevent everything, that would take another suitcase.......

TomCruises...this is where2next's husband..

I wouldn't say she is paranoid as I have witnessed her aggressively searched because of her narcotic medicine that is in prescription bottles

with a letter from her doctor.

I will tell you that I am paranoid everytime I see her taken into a room by 2 men and then the door closes behind...

Just last week on May 8th this happened in the Frankfurt airport

Sometimes and they have been rare, I'm allowed to accompany her and too many times I'm not.

Before we took our 1st vacation together 5 years ago, quite frankly I really dismissed what she said. I had to see it with my own eyes

and now we do everything by the book and then some.

Your suggestion to carry a seperate suitecase should never be considered. As those medicines have a very strong chance of "growing legs"

as they make their way through the airport behind the scenes.

Another thing I would like to suggest is to carry your medicine in your daypack on the plane that you need on regularly scheduled interval.

One time my wife had her carry on taken from her while onboard the plane when we flew on Croatia Airlines and put down below.

We then had a delay on the tarmac. She missed a scheduled dosage which put her body into its own little hell.

I'm usually the lurker on this board as my wife is the long time cruiser..

but I just thought I would share my opinion on this, since I married her it has obviously become a concern of mine.

to sum up from all these postings...

1. keep in original containers (prescription and OTC)

why? because it is the safest to do and why risk the chance of being questioned and your answers not being accepted

2. take additional dosages with you, as you never know (unexpected delays, loss of meds for one reason or another) I am referring to prescriptions here, not OTC

I now take an additional week's worth of prescrips just in case.

Have fun on your trip and hopefully you will not be searched at any airports;)

My DH and I were going on a 12 hour flight and they made him trash his contact solution. It was 3.5 oz. They said it was not medically necessary.

The reason they said this is because it was over 3.4 oz--yes, 0.1 oz is picky but they can confiscate more than 3.4 oz materials. There are exemptions for liquids in excess of 3 oz but they must be necessary (medical Rx's, baby formula, etc.). Contact solution is important but not medically a necessity.

I plan on packing my "big" bottle in our checked baggage and keeping a small bottle in my carry-on. I'll definitely be checking the size but I'm pretty sure it's a 3 oz "sample" bottle.

My DH and I were going on a 12 hour flight and they made him trash his contact solution. It was 3.5 oz. They said it was not medically necessary.

That's becasue the max is 3 oz.

Again, not knowing the rules will always get in your way. My wife always forgets something in her purse and leads the league in throwing stuff away at security.

That's becasue the max is 3 oz.

Again, not knowing the rules will always get in your way. My wife always forgets something in her purse and leads the league in throwing stuff away at security.

Actually, if you look on the TSA's website the max is 3.4 oz. I definitely think that staying closer to 3 oz is much better if you can swing it--I know I'm going to try to.

Actually, if you look on the TSA's website the max is 3.4 oz. I definitely think that staying closer to 3 oz is much better if you can swing it--I know I'm going to try to.

Agreed but I'm trained on the 3-1-1 rule so I always say 3 oz. Not sure where they came up with 3.4 oz - any guess?

Agreed but I'm trained on the 3-1-1 rule so I always say 3 oz. Not sure where they came up with 3.4 oz - any guess?

The bottles have to fit into the little zippered plastic bag. My bottle of Opium is 3.4 oz and that bottle is HUGE! I don't think anyone is going to look closely at anything that fits into your baggie.

Regarding liquid prescription and a few other thoughts

My doctor sends us with "just in case" meds...

with specific instructions when and why to take them

one of them being Cough syrup with codiene.

We ask for a 3oz bottle to be prescriped for each of us and then since I;m already carrying narcotics and will be heavily searched we put the larger cough syrup bottle in my name.

That way we can bring it with us on the plane, and it's a nice way to knock yourself out for a 11 hour flight

That is something that everyone should consider..

Speaking to your doctor about just in case meds

ESPECIALLY internationally, but also on cruise ships

Our formulations in the USA are sometimes different..

I can tell you claritin and benadryl aren't in Italy and what they suggest has some scary side effects and not approved for the FDA

Cruise ships get meds from UK and Australia..yes they will work if you are in a crisis..but they could be different than what we use in the USA and you have to pay for your doctors visit on the ship.

Just 2 weeks ago ...I was in Bulgaria as part of our Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria land trip for 3 whole weeks I had

(still kinda do) severe travellers tummy.

I had just in case Cipro with specific orders from my doctor on how to use. Which I began after max dosage of imodium stopped working.

By the time we reached Bulgaria, that was gone and I was getting worse..

Trying to communcate with a pharmacist without a translator was tough..cyrillic writing and no English.

We were finally able to get more Cipro.

But then we heard about the problem with black market drugs in the region and were advised not to take it by my doctor.

So as Pia does and we do too...having your just in case pharmacy is not a bad idea for those traveling internationally.

The bottles have to fit into the little zippered plastic bag. My bottle of Opium is 3.4 oz and that bottle is HUGE! I don't think anyone is going to look closely at anything that fits into your baggie.

What do you take Opium for?

Prescription meds don't apply to the 311 rule. Here is what they say about prescription drugs:

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of the following liquids, gels and aerosols are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary (all exceptions must be presented to the security officer in front of the checkpoint):

• Baby formula, breast milk, and juice if a baby or small child is traveling;
  • All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
  • Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
  • Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
  • Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
  • Frozen gels/liquids are permitted if required to cool medical and infant/child exemptions. Frozen gels/liquids for any other purpose are not permitted.

You are allowed reasonable amounts over 3 ounces of the items above in your carry-on baggage, but you will need to perform the following:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
  2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
  3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

We have also taken steps to ensure the security boarding areas after you pass through our security checkpoints. Therefore, any liquid, gel, or aerosol purchased (such as coffee or soda) in the secure area after you process through a security checkpoint is allowed aboard your plane.

Before you fly, understand everything you can and cannot bring when you travel by air by reading our list of permitted and prohibited items.

I think a little bit of common sense would go a long way. If you are traveling with narcotics and other controlled substances, I would highly recommend carrying them in their original container. However, as you know, one can really place any substance one wants into that container. The container is not synonymous with authority. The key is if you have a legitimate prescriber/prescription somewhere. Traveling with multiple controlled substances and "just in case" medicines is going to raise suspicions and will likely be a continuing inconvenience to the affected traveler no matter how much those meds are needed or desired. The multiple posts and references to "spead eagled" and groping of underwire bras are humorous to me and a bit over the top. I don't necessarily doubt the accuracy of the reports; just seems something is amiss in the translation. Whatever the case, I doubt that the groper takes much pleasure in the event either.

If you're not going to Dubai this week, I think your average domestic-destination schmo who wants to place their multiitamins, pepcid, benadryls,diuretics and erectile dysfunction meds together in an organizer will be just fine. Just don't complain if you get an erection instead of acid indigestion relief. It depends on your individual comfort level and each person can make that decision independently. I will continue to throw my meds any which way all into one common bottle. I doubt you will see me "spread eagle" at the airport for that particular offence. However, it it happens, I'll give you the underwire salute.

Archived