Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

That's fantastic! I'm impressed. I know exactly how you feel. I'm feeling tge pre-cruise withdrawals too (565 days til my next one and still really excited already).

Wow...just looked at your countdown clocks. B2B in the South Pacific...that will be so worth the wait!

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my first cruise since I was 7 years old!!! EXCITED !!, [emoji2][emoji1]. My question is,, are we supplied with shampoo,conditioner, shower gel etc. like the hotels? We will be in a Junior Suite. Also, I have seen people complain about the price of the shuttle,,, What shuttle would that be? I see that we are not allowed "irons". Would a small travel clothes steamer be taken away as well?

This will be my first cruise since I was 7 years old!!! EXCITED !!, [emoji2][emoji1]. My question is,, are we supplied with shampoo,conditioner, shower gel etc. like the hotels? We will be in a Junior Suite. Also, I have seen people complain about the price of the shuttle,,, What shuttle would that be? I see that we are not allowed "irons". Would a small travel clothes steamer be taken away as well?

Toiletries & steamer: Yes and yes.... Shuttle could be from port to town when you dock/tender (sometimes free/sometimes cost/sometimes not needed at all...) or to/from ship when embarking/disembarking. (Always more expensive to book those from the cruise-line than taxi or shared with other CC companions!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How exciting for you! What port are you cruising out of? Sounds like you have it all going on. Some ships have laundry and ironing rooms you can use. :-)

I've read all 37 pages and I added a lot of things to my packing list. But I wanted to say that my hair care products alone will take up more space than All the extra stuff I have added. Just because the ship offers shampoo doesn't mean it will work for everyone's hair and if I ever want dry hair I need my professional grade hair dryer. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I'm okay looking like a bum. So I'm not the person taking old worn out clothes or leaving my necessities at home. I'll be lucky if I can fit everything in 2 checked bags and my carry on ( thank goodness my husband will have extra space in his). I'm ok with being an over packer. I'd much rather have what I need than wish I did.

So thank you Janet I love your list and this thread

• 2 weeks later...

Royal, Celebity, Carnival & DCL have on their websites NO extension cords. I read people who had them confiscated.

Luggage is not gone through with a fine tooth comb--depends if they see it when Xrayed or when they are going through your luggage looking for other things, and happen to see it.

SO it is POSSIBLE to not have yours taken if they don't see it...the reason the rules exist is for safety reasons.

Royal, Celebity, Carnival & DCL have on their websites NO extension cords. I read people who had them confiscated.

Luggage is not gone through with a fine tooth comb--depends if they see it when Xrayed or when they are going through your luggage looking for other things, and happen to see it.

SO it is POSSIBLE to not have yours taken if they don't see it...the reason the rules exist is for safety reasons.

My husbands cpap machine needs an extension cord. Last cabin we had he needed two. It happens

Happy cruisin.

Be sure and decorate your cabin door with something fun. It won't take much room for the supplies but you'll have such fun every time you leave and come back!

ImageUploadedByForums1443853878.786736.jpg.9f2146ecc93d361d0f4aa97cac1623be.jpg

These fish are from the Oriental Trading website. Three fish and a border - took 10 minutes to attach (duct tape to rescue) and compliments galore.

I also decorated the cabin with items from the same site and it was so festive. I'm going to do something similar on our next one. I left most of it with our steward - she was going to decorate her cabin and a few of her friends' with the booty.

ImageUploadedByForums1443854139.883009.jpg.1c30b00c41f4160be1db2a953d122729.jpg

This is an activity to do while you wait for your bags the first day.

I purchased a large zippered plastic bag at IKEA - the ones at the checkout - and slid it into the front section on the outside of a suitcase. It was the perfect clothes hamper which looked colorful and kept the area neat. I then used it as my "personal" item for a carryon on the plane - minus the dirty clothes. [emoji4]

I also put my underwear into gallon size ziplock bags to keep grubby TSA hands off them. Take a few extras to put wet swimsuits in for the trip home. I also use the plastic bags from the newspaper to bag up each shoe to keep the dirt off our clothes.

Another tip is to wash your hands often! And use Clorox wipes, not only on the door handles, but the phone, the keypads on the tv remote and the bathroom button for the toilet.

Roll your clothes! You get much more in your suitcase. And take an electronic bag scale, so you know before you leave if your bag is overweight. It's no fun to shuffle things in front of the counter.

ImageUploadedByForums1443854042.927043.jpg.ee22edb73f679b9e11debaa0e7a09c14.jpg

Thank you for all of this helpful information this is my first cruise and my first post! :) I am full of questions but won't take up to much of your time so I will ask you only a few. Thank you in advance.

1- I get car sick, so I am worried about being on the ship. Is it better to buy Over The Counter Meds or get something from my Physician?

2- I am taking my 2 daughters (16,11) and can't decide between Mexico or the Caribbean I have to say I am a little concerned with Mexico right now. Any thoughts? Planning for 6/2016

Thank you for all of this helpful information this is my first cruise and my first post! :) I am full of questions but won't take up to much of your time so I will ask you only a few. Thank you in advance.

1- I get car sick, so I am worried about being on the ship. Is it better to buy Over The Counter Meds or get something from my Physician?

2- I am taking my 2 daughters (16,11) and can't decide between Mexico or the Caribbean I have to say I am a little concerned with Mexico right now. Any thoughts? Planning for 6/2016

If you get car sick I would recommend a scrip from your doctor. They have the behind the ear patches,

Scopolamine Transdermal Patch

i would put one on about a hour before you get on the ship.

Regarding "problems" in Mexico.. Can't say I have not gone/avoided a cruise to Mexico because of problems. If you are on a ship sponsored tour you should be fine.. if you venture out on your own then you "could" have a problem but you could have that kind of problem anywhere you travel.

I get car sick, ship sick, ferry sick...... Since cruising, took a tip from a fellow RN cruiser and I never get sick on a cruise ship. I did get a stop. Patch from MD "just in case". It expired, unused 2 years ago - 22 cruises & no need to use the patch....

Here's what has been a 'no-fail' life-saver for me:

Get Meclazine 25 mg - aka 'Bonine' 'Non Drowsy Dramamine" "VertiCalm" - or just ask at the pharmacy window for Meclazine - at COSTCO 100 tabs was around $6.00.

Take 1 tab each night beginning 2 nights before you board the ship. Take one each night of the cruise & continue 2 nights after you are off the ship.

AND...... Just in case you hit super rough seas - get Hylands Motion Sickness tabs - homeopathic - you can dissolve 2 under your tongue and they work like magic even if you don't use them until the symptoms are well under way!

I get mine at RiteAid, Whole Foods or order from Internet. I never go anywhere without them in my purse.....

Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Used the patch on first few cruises; didn't like the dry mouth. And DO NOT touch your eyes before washing hands after applying patch. Not good.

Now I stick with green apples, 7 up, keeping a little food in stomach, being outside if seasick. Usually only happens on very rough seas. (very rare). Lying in bed usually is good, too.

We have done 1 MX Riviera cruise. Did it. Glad we did, but not again--more aggressive salespeople on the beach, much cooler on sea days coming up the Pacific coast. Prefer the Caribbean much more (more consistent warm weather)--love Cozumel, MX tho. No more safety issues than anywhere else.

Edited by KKB