Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

Carrying over-the-counter meds are a MUST, along with an extra pair of reading glasses because I'm notorious for either sitting down on them or leaving them someplace. A lanyard because it's so convenient and one less thing to worry about losing. A few clothes pins to hang something wet up either on the back of the chair on the balcony or the retractable line in the shower. If a piece of luggage breaks, Guest Services will hook you up with duct tape (or your cabin steward) or offer to try to fix the luggage (sweet). Cash and a few zip locks in various sizes (I separate cash for paying for excursions into zip locks, along with the tips and put them in the safe with the name of the port written on the zip lock). Zip lock bags for anything damp or that has sand in/on it for packing. Cash, cash and some small bills for tipping room service, porters, baggage handlers, bartenders and I'm all set. The cabin has plenty of cubbies, drawers and hanging space, especially for two people in a cabin.

Have never used the clothes pins although I do bring 2 over the door "hooks" (dollar store) to,hang on the back of bathroom door whatever I want quick access to or quick dry.... Depending on the ship/cruising there are many options including send out laundry services (all), self serve Laundry (Oceania, Carnival, Azamara - ones I know of)' clothesline in shower/bath (Oceania & some Celebrity ships, not S class). 2nd the OTC meds & reading glasses!!! Although you can buy in port & on ship gets spendy & tenuous as to what is available....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was asked to share a list, so here is my list.

Besides the list and talking about my list below, I have also attached a file that you can print and save to help you.

It is never too early to start gathering things up. I have started with a few things and just add to it as time goes by. Besides the obvious clothing items here are a few things I just can’t leave home without.

First, we have a clear over the door shoe organizer. I say clear because you would want to be able to see inside each of the pockets. This we would hang on the back of the bathroom door and place all of your little items in it to keep your counters free of clutter. This idea was passed down to me from another fellow cruiser so I don’t take the credit for it but I certainly think it is a great idea. I got mine online from Finger Hut.

http://www.fingerhut.com/ProductGroup.aspx?offergroupxid=92929&cmCategoryID =search

One of the first things we do when we get in the cabin is wipe down all the door knobs, handles, phone and remote control with those Clorox Disinfecting Wipes. If you think about it, but the time you get in your cabin, another couple or family has been living in it for a week and has touched everything. The cabin has been cleaned but who knows if they wipe every little thing down. This is for my own piece of mind. So I would add that to your shopping list. I carry my Clorox Wipes in my purse because once I get to the cabin I do it right away as the luggage won't appear for a couple of hours.

Other things I bring:

Ø Zip-lock bags – different sizes for many different things

Ø Hangers – I think you can ask your room attendant for extra but I always bring mine own. The room attendant may not get the hangers to you fast enough because they are generally still delivering things to the cabins, introducing themself and then they have to go to the life boat drill.

Ø Clothes Pins

Ø Power Strip – not many outlets in the room.

Ø Extension Cord - I will run an extension cord if I need to.

Ø Alarm Clock – Some people just use their cell phones.

Ø Night Light – Cabin is dark, if you don’t use your cell phone for light then bring one.

Ø Bathroom Spray –

Ø Landyards – these are those things you wear around your neck and attach your Sea Pass card to it. Front desk will hole punch your card or bring your own hole puncher.

Ø Bar Soap – I like to bring my own instead of using the small bars they give.

Ø Portable Ipod Speakers- so you can enjoy your downloaded Caribbean music as you sail.

Ø Motion Sickness Medicine – if you think you need it, some you need a written RX.

Ø Prescriptions and Medicine – the over the counter, Tums, Imodium, Pepto Bismol, aspirin

Ø Sudafed, tooth ache gel, band-aids, mole skin, aloe vera lotion for sunburns

Ø Cell Phone charger – you will need to charge up before we get home!

Ø Extra Camera Memory Card - Last thing you want to do is run out of memory!!!

Ø Extra camera batteries or rechargeable batteries and charger.

Ø Small roll of duct tape – many uses. One is we tape our luggage tags on our cases of water, soda or whatever else we bring that we buy at the store before we go to port. Duct tape has many uses.

Ø Small spray bottle.. use this up by the pool to spray myself when it is hot

Ø Walkie Talkies- we always bring them, keep the volume low.. Traveling with large groups on a large ship we sometimes need to find someone. Or if you need to find your kids. Please note this can be disturbing to other travelers so we really keep the volume very low!

Ø Binoculars –

Ø Rum Runners –

Ø Hand sanitizers – small kind to put in pocket purse or clip on landyards

Ø Sports Bottles – We use these at the pool and around the ship for “special drinks”

Ø Snack Items We have cocktail parties in our cabins with our friends so we munch on snack or salty items. We buy these at the store before we go to the port.

o Ritz Crackers

o Cheese in Can

o Nuts

o Cookies

o Candy

o Plastic Glasses as the ones in the cabin are too small.

o Powdered Crystal Light – for our bottled water

Ø Small Rolling Ice Chest – We bring this to keep our drinks really cold in our room. The room attendant will fill it with ice daily for us. Got mine on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/52-Can-Collapsible-Rolling-Cooler-Orange-Grey-W-Tags_W0QQitemZ140292469301QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item140292469301&_trksid=p3286. c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39 %3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Ø Suitcase Scale – We bring one of those luggage weight scales to we can make sure we are within our weight limits as we fly.

v We bring lots of one dollar bills for tipping.

v We tie bright colored ribbon on our suitcases to help us identify them.

v Bungee Cord - Brought a bungee cord to secure a door that we wanted to keep open from banging. We once had all of our cabins next to each other and had the doors to the balconies opened up all the way. Our door kept banging.. so this helped it to stop.

They say that the cabins have hair dryers and robes in (some) them. AND get some water (aqua) shoes for going on shore, you will want them in the water. I think this is about all I have unless I forgot something. And I know that if you pack your clothes in dry cleaner bags that they will not wrinkle. Tips for packing: http://www.fodors.com/news/story_1449.html

Besides the copies of the passports I also call our credit card companies and give them the dates we will be traveling so they will not lock down our account thinking the card was stolen. If they tried to call us, we would not be home to answer the phone!! Sooooooo call your credit card companies and let them know.

Here is my packing list you can print....

[ATTACH]117538[/ATTACH]

Here is my review...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=985034

and FINALLY....

Don't go on your cruise without hearing from the CRUISE DIVA... I find all my best stuff here!!!

On the web you search for "cruisediva dot com".

Can you explain the "sports bottle" part? we do that on normal trips when we bring our own alcohol but I don't get the use when you're getting drinks from a bar continuously. I plan to get the ultimate package. Can you explain how you use the sports bottle?

I have a question about over the counter meds and vitamins. If you are traveling out of the country, Can you just put it all in a pill box? Or do you need to actually have it in the bottle it came in? I haven't traveled out of the country in almost 20 years, so I'm not sure how strict they are.

I wondered that too. I don't like to take 5 bottles but I have vitamins, ibuprofen, motion sickness meds, etc. and would rather keep the all in one container. My multivitamin container is huge. My husband usually keeps his in a ziplock bag and knows which is which but wasn't sure for cruise. Assume my xanax would have to be in the bottle though lol :rolleyes:

DH takes lots of meds. Weekly pill box has each a.m. & p.m. In it's own little box. Then a little zip lock with the three supplements he takes daily too. I take a print out that lists each med, dosage, Rx number etc. just take a screen shot from the CVS site for his Rx. Or, do your own. Never had a problem.... However - sandwich bag zip lock filled with several kinds of pills might be a different story! Highly recommend if not weekly/per day separated that each pill have it's own little labeled bag. You can even peel off the lake from the Rx bottle & use that or take a pic with phone, print & tape on....

• 3 months later...
Going on our first cruise in Oct. Your list is helpful:)

Although the list is very comprehensive and a great way to start thinking about what to pack, do yourselves a favor & pack lighter!! If you pack all of that you will discover you have waaay too much stuff that is not needed on today's cruise ships.... Example:

You can get extra hangers from the steward if you need them

Etc etc - don't pack anything more than you would if you were staying at a hotel in a large city where you could buy anything extra you find you might need..... Packing the kitchen sink isn't really needed..... :)

Edited by s1amblue

Has anyone used the app Cruise Trip List? (if someone already mentioned it sorry… I didn't go all the way back through the posts!) it has reminders of things to do, well as packing lists that you can modify. If I see a cool idea on the thread I just add it!

Although the list is very comprehensive and a great way to start thinking about what to pack, do yourselves a favor & pack lighter!! If you pack all of that you will discover you have waaay too much stuff that is not needed on today's cruise ships.... Example:

You can get extra hangers from the steward if you need them

Etc etc - don't pack anything more than you would if you were staying at a hotel in a large city where you could buy anything extra you find you might need..... Packing the kitchen sink isn't really needed..... :)

The cruise that I just took two weeks ago, I never saw the room attendant until after 6 PM that first day inspite of phone calls. I was glad I had my own hangers. I was done unpacking by 3pm! While this list was made a few years ago, it is not a must-have for everyone. It is only meant to use as a tool for preparedness.

Also following for my cruise in October! First time so this thread has good info I want to keep :)

Thank you... This list is quite old and things have changed... But it is a good starting point for anything you think you might need.

One of my favorite things to bring now is an inflatable ice chest. Mine looks like this and I got it from Amazon. We keep it in the bathroom and put a towel under it. Our room stewart kept it filled with ice for us twice a day.. (tipped him well)

Our water was soooooooooo nice and cold... I carried it on in my carry on bag and we blew it up right when we got in the room. Had pre-ordered water ahead of time so it was waiting for us. We left it with the room stewart when the cruise was over. He was excited to take it down to his quarters.

IMG_1834.jpg

11822590_10153220191344737_4606538840560649337_n.jpg

This wasn't our door but our neighbors door. People love to decorate their doors and I thought this was so cute

IMG_1838.jpg

HAVE FUN CRUISING

oh my goodness I love that chest. So did the steward just put ice in on top of your waters or whats the story? also amazon you say. what should i put in the search criteria to find said amazing item? i wanna get me one of them for sure. i'm guessing the towel underneath is a requirement to prevent flooding as the ice melts?

this thread is a treasure trove of information. i am not going to take everything that every member suggested (i'd need several suitcases for those things alone!!!) but i am going to pick the few which i think make the most sense for me such as hiliters for the dailys, over the door shoe rack for toiletries etc.

oh my goodness I love that chest. So did the steward just put ice in on top of your waters or whats the story? also amazon you say. what should i put in the search criteria to find said amazing item? i wanna get me one of them for sure. i'm guessing the towel underneath is a requirement to prevent flooding as the ice melts?

this thread is a treasure trove of information. i am not going to take everything that every member suggested (i'd need several suitcases for those things alone!!!) but i am going to pick the few which i think make the most sense for me such as hiliters for the dailys, over the door shoe rack for toiletries etc.

Hello Hdowney....

the search criteria is "inflatable pirate treasure chest cooler" It was like $11 The cooler isn't insulated so it will sweat.. I just decided to put a fresh towel under it everyday in the event that it leaked or sweated. I was even thinking of putting it out on our balcony but that would have just made the ice melt faster.

We were recently on Carnival, so once we got in our cabin I was wiping down the cabin with our clorox READY TO GO wipes,

clorox-disinfecting-wipes-on-the-go.jpg

and then my husband was blowing up our ice chest. These items were in my carryon so we were able to get them out and use them right away instead of having to wait for our suitcases.

You might notice in the picture below, the plastic "rum runners" laying on top of the water. Google rum runner flasks. ***Just to be clear the rum runners are packed sporadically in our CHECKED LUGGAGE*** There are youtube videos out there on packing them.

11822590_10153220191344737_4606538840560649337_n.jpg

We brought four of these rum runners so we could have cocktails in our cabin. We like to bring crystal light type drink mixes and water enhancers to have with our cocktails... If you are a soda drinker some cruise lines let you bring on canned sodas in your carryon (on RCCL and Princess we were able to bring cases of water and check with our checked luggage). Some people also brought a case of soda with their checked luggage. Just research the rules for your particular cruise line. We are not soda drinkers but if we were we would have stored the sodas in our ice chest.

When we first met our room stewart, I already had the waters in the ice chest and showed him the ice chest and asked him to have it filled up twice daily. I gave him $20. When he would come service the rooms I notice that he had an ice chest on his service cart so he would just transfer the ice from his ice chest into our little pirate chest. My husband and I would dump out the water the next morning and sometimes afternoon so it would be ready to be refilled. When I took that picture we had just finished dumping out the water so it was ready to be refilled.

Other items

Mentioned the over the door shoe holder. Here is ours it was on the back of our bathroom door.

IMG_1833.jpg

Electronics

Not very many outlets.. Plugging in our phones, headsets, camera battery...etc... this power strip came in handy... and we also had two extension cords.

IMG_0695.jpg

and I need two curling irons so this adapter helped me a lot.

11800614_10153220188819737_8599797858305154770_n.jpg

I love when I find something new to use or try.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions

Speaking of Rum Runners - I thought you put them in your pocket so they didn't show up through the scan. I've watched YouTube videos on how to pack them, etc. Are they that easy to get on?

You can put the small ones in a pocket and they don't show up through a scan. My husband had one of the larger ones in his pocket as we came back on the ship from Cozumel. We had so many that we had to pack them in our checked luggage. Depends on how many you are bringing. We had the "SPRING BREAK CRUISE KIT".. LOL Been using them for the last 6 years with no issues.

OK...so I am having a hard time not thinking about my cruise. Even though it's 292 days away... :D

My friend is having the same problem, so we have been working on the ultimate cruise packing list!!! I'm excited, and thought I'd share....if you don't like it or don't want it, don't use it, but no unnecessary flaming please. :o We just need to work through our pre-cruise withdrawals.

Oh...and for anyone cruising with RCCL and considering the drink package, we also put together our drink "wish list". We don't plan on drinking all of these...it's just a fun compilation of drinks we want to try! You could adapt this to your own 'cheat sheet' for wines, beers, other drinks...whatever floats your boat! (heh heh)

Both are attached here. Hope you find them useful!!!

Template.Cruise Packing List.xls

Bingo Template 2.xls

You rock! Best thought out individualized, logical planning list I've seen in a long time! Keep thinking - you do it well! Now start looking at ports and get a wish list of things to do & places to see!

OK...so I am having a hard time not thinking about my cruise. Even though it's 292 days away... :D

My friend is having the same problem, so we have been working on the ultimate cruise packing list!!! I'm excited, and thought I'd share....if you don't like it or don't want it, don't use it, but no unnecessary flaming please. :o We just need to work through our pre-cruise withdrawals.

Oh...and for anyone cruising with RCCL and considering the drink package, we also put together our drink "wish list". We don't plan on drinking all of these...it's just a fun compilation of drinks we want to try! You could adapt this to your own 'cheat sheet' for wines, beers, other drinks...whatever floats your boat! (heh heh)

Both are attached here. Hope you find them useful!!!

That's fantastic! I'm impressed. I know exactly how you feel. I'm feeling tge pre-cruise withdrawals too (565 days til my next one and still really excited already).