Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

I am so glad I'm not the OCD traveler. I make an excel spreadsheet as soon as I have a trip planned and read and revise it weekly until the trip. We leave next Sunday and I just printed the final list to start packing....Bon Voyage!

I found a handy app for my ipad called "Cruise Trip List" that has a nice countdown checklist and is fully customizable for each individual going. You can delete or add items in categories you create or just use the default lists and check them off as time goes by.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I learned on my first cruise these are a must for me. Being on vacation I do not follow a diet or workout routine. Needless to say, with all to great food around all of my cute new cruise clothes were uncomfortable by the last day of the cruise. :D

I'll second the stretchy pants suggestion. By the end of 6 days most of my clothes were uncomfortably tight. Thank goodness I had my trusty bibbed overall shorts. They were a bugger getting thru airport security tho...:o

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for their lists! This thread isn't just for noobs...:D

I just started writing one (couldn't find the old one I made) and thought to myself, someone must have this listed somewhere! Combining all and making a list that works for us. Some things listed by others I wish I had taken on my previous cruises. Thanks again!

I found a handy app for my ipad called "Cruise Trip List" that has a nice countdown checklist and is fully customizable for each individual going. You can delete or add items in categories you create or just use the default lists and check them off as time goes by.

Downloaded...edited & updated based on what I read here (and my personal experience).

VERY easy to use!

Thank you! I love the app and I don't have to include more paper (ie: excel packing lists) in my travel items!

It is very useful and also healthy if you factor in the relief on your nervous system! :)

I am using it right now for a Feb 8 cruise and it sure helps make sure you have everything you need and want to take. It really takes away a lot of the stress involved with pre-trip planning.

• 1 month later...
How obnoxious. Janet was just trying to be helpful, no need to completely contradict her entire post.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The next time you want to slam someone for something they have posted, try quoting them. Your post was completely out of context with all of the posts on this page.

I enjoyed your list too! I don't pack as many outfits as you, but your list is very well thought out and organized. It is stuff people use! I also on occasion have found myself using duct tape for sealing bottles so they don't leak on the plane, so yes many uses. :)

If you have over 35 lbs. per person including all carry on you are over packed.

We (me and wife) go on week vacation for a week with one piece of luggage that weights less then 45 lbs.

Well that's just great for you. But you have made a rather sweeping generalization. Perhaps more accurate to say that YOU are over packed if your combined luggage weighs over 35 lbs.

Some people relish the ability to pack minimally. Others prefer the security of packing for eventualities. Some vacations (to cool destinations) require heavier and bulkier items. IMHO there is no single RIGHT way to pack that will suit everyone.

Is it possible to pack lightly? Of course. I once spent 3 weeks in Germany in March with only a carry on suitcase. Is it necessary or even desirable in all cases? I would suggest not.

Edited by mom says

Nursemom2 thanks for the totally pin-worthy link to your blog! I had never even considered that I might want a selection of purses for our cruise, and I'm most definitely taking more than one now (and BOTH my checked bags on southwest!). Hehe! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wrote a blog article...How to fit everything into one suitcase, and it includes pictures and tips for packing when you are taking long or short cruises...

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-do-you-fit-everything-into-one.html

Feel free to browse this post.:)

Great blog Karan! I enjoyed wandering around your posts. So envious of all your travels, but we are well on our way to catching up. Happy cruising!

Great blog Karan! I enjoyed wandering around your posts. So envious of all your travels, but we are well on our way to catching up. Happy cruising!

Thank you all so much! I love blogging about our travels, and sharing tips. I just wrote a new blog post about visiting ports. Take a look if you like.

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/ Stay hungry and travel well. Travel tips for the curious.